Originally Posted By: swwind
(CNN)this morning

The morning the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, a BP executive and a Transocean official argued over how to proceed with the drilling, rig survivors told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an exclusive interview.

The BP official wanted workers to replace heavy mud, used to keep the well's pressure down, with lighter seawater to help speed a process that was costing an estimated $750,000 a day and was already running five weeks late, rig survivors told CNN.

BP won the argument, said Doug Brown, the rig's chief mechanic. "He basically said, 'Well, this is how it's gonna be.' "

"That's what the big argument was about," added Daniel Barron III.

Shortly after the exchange, chief driller Dewey Revette expressed concern and opposition too, the workers said, and on the drilling floor, they chatted among themselves.

"I don't ever remember doing this," they said, according to Barron.

"I think that's why Dewey was so reluctant to try to do it," Barron said, "because he didn't feel it was the right way to have things done."

This screams of negligence on a massive scale - I feel nothing but anger.

My initial evaluation of what potentially happened appears to have been way off.

A lot of shortcuts and poor decisions made from the top and questioned at the bottom, but still carried out.

Maybe it's incredibly naive, but I can't believe these execs would take this kind of rick with their employees and equipment. My company has a hard time accepting that office employees might get a papercut and tries to prevent against even the most menial risks at all costs. 'Kind of makes me happy to work for them.

Edited by Bruiser360 (06/16/10 12:28 AM)