After work this afternoon I stopped at Bissell, and fished from 4:30 pm to 6:pm. I met a buddy who's never fished for shad before, he wanted to give it a try. On arrival there were about 8 or 9 regulars plying the bank, and one was landing a shad. There were a couple on the bank, and as we started casting, another shad was landed. The wind was mostly calm, I didn't notice it initially, water was clear and moving well.

Pretty quickly I hooked up, and fought a nice middlin' buck (?) to my feet, where he promptly spit the leaf at me. Shad 1: me 0. My buddy set the hook, and landed a nice middlin' buck, ~2#. We observed more shad landed by others. He hooked up again, and landed a nice little buck, a little bigger than his first. Not bad for his first time out, he released both, and he only lost a couple of leaves, and one drail.

About 5:pm or maybe a little after, I noticed the wind shifting, coming around from the South, straight up from Hartford, and building. It freshened to make the water very choppy, and cooled things off on the bank. By 5:30 the bite had basically shut off, and by 6:pm, after watching no more shad caught or so much as a bump, I headed for home. It was fun while it lasted. I think I'll give tomorrow a pass, due to the questionable weather, and a neglected "honey-do" list.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"