Hi carlynewlondon,

If you're asking me about terminal tackle, I use as long a leader as I can get away with for the conditions. Typically between 3'-4' but shorter if my back-cast or high winds require it.

For leader material, I prefer flouro but most others use generic mono (Cabela's, et c.) or premium mono (Ande, et c.). I like the abrasion resistance of a decent flouro, and use 8# flouro as a leader.

However I'm using U/L equipment, a Penn 4200 ss reel on an Ugly Stik one-piece rod. I prefer a braided line on that little spool on this set up for these reasons, 1) NO LINE MEMORY (it casts like a dream), and 2) abrasion resistance. Back in the day, when I used mono on the spool, I'd HAVE to re-spool at least once each outing. And that was time off the water, and not casting or catching, and, worse, it got expensive due to a lot of lost terminal rigs (and mono). Now, I occasionally put on a short top-shot of fresh braid, here and there, when conditions are rough on the terminal end. I may reverse the line on the spool perhaps once a year, and after a couple of years, I'll re-spool--pretty economical by contrast!

Hope this helps, and if you do make the trip--tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"