Stopped by Bissell today after work about 4:30 pm. Warm, with a very slight breeze off the ramp at our backs, and less than a dozen folx casting, with almost as many jawing in the parking lot or at the picnic table. Water was only a little higher than yesterday, maybe 6" if that, clear with a nice current. I did see some cotton-like drift on the water, which seems early for that stuff--especially as the cottonwoods haven't even leafed out yet.

On my 4th or 5th cast I hooked a small buck. I got him close enough to get a good look at him but he rolled and spit the leaf, and that was it for me today. By 5:pm the wind had shifted to the South blowing cold up from Hartford. The water turned choppy, and muddy. The bite was off by 5:15 or so when one of the regulars C & R a small bronze-back. Before the wind came up, I saw three shad landed, including a nice roe, and a couple of more were lost before landing. I headed for home at 6.

Terminal tackle: I started with 1/2 oz drail over 4' of 8# flouro, and a hammered pink willow w/black dot, this produced the short lived fight with the little buck shad.

After the wind turned, and freshened, I switched to 3/4 oz drail, and had to shorten the leader to about 3', as the wind was playing havoc with the longer length; also changed to a hammered silver red/yellow w/black dot but with the wind blowing up from Hartford, it was all for naught.

I'll try it again tomorrow afternoon. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"