Lake X
October 6th 2004
5:30 pm - 10:30 pm
Air temp. 65-45
Water temp. 63-61

I really wanted to get out, seeing as though I have only fished twice in the last two weeks and those trips were at Congamond, which was not kind to me. I left work early for yet another long drive and arrived at lake X at 5:30pm. I began by working some withering pads which produced nothing. Next I moved out deep and tried some drop shotting for about a half hour....nothing.

Since the sun was beginning to set, I wanted to try some more pads, so I fired up the motor and headed to another area, it was a chilly drive. Worked this pad area for about 45 minutes with a buzzbait, worm and jig to no avail.

Hmm, what next, off to another spot where I decided to work a spinnerbait and a jig for a bit. I was targeting depths from say ten to four feet. A half hour or so had passed and I began thinking about the extremely high pressure and figured I may have to fish deep water or in the weeds. Not more than a minute or so after that thought....I was on, it felt like a nice fish but I had no idea how nice. This fish fell to a yo-yoing spinnerbait in about 6 feet of water. She battled fairly well and didn't show her face until she was looking into my net. Right before the landing, I had to turn the fish with concern about losing it. Needless to say, I was lucky this time, as she ever so quietly surrendered. When I had trouble lifting the net, I knew my time had come. The moment I have always waited for......this fish was over 8 and I knew it.

I took great care with this fish while I weighed, measured and took many photos. The fish cooperated without much of a struggle and was released without a scratch. I only caught two other fish, one at 3lb. 12oz. and one that went about 2lbs. on a jig. The water temp began at between 63-64 and dropped into the 61-62 degree mark at about 10:00pm. It was a chilly night but obviously well worth the uncomfortableness. I have fished this lake a bunch of times over the last five or so years and always felt like there was an 8+ in it but had no solid evidence. I finally have some proof of one. The eyes of this fish were the size of quarters!

Sorry for the undisclosed location but I have sworn my secrecy. It's not like this lake is loaded with big fish either, it's just a nice place that is usually not crowded and very peaceful. With the water temps dropping I think the next few weeks should produce some quality fish. Pick your favorite spot and fish it like you mean it because winters coming.

Good luck and Please Practice Catch & Release