Originally Posted By: BaldPelican
I have always had hands that can sometimes react strangely to the cold especially when damp (Raynaud's). What I arrived at as the best solution for cold fishing or ice fishing for me is to have a quarterback hand warmer muff around my waist that has has two single use chemical heat packs inside and two spares in an outside zipper pocket. That way I can fish barehanded and bring my hands back from the dead occasionally or use a pair of fingerless wool gloves that either have the velcroed flap to convert to a mitten or not and also pull them off frequently as needed. I sometimes bring a good pair of icefishing mittens that I use for driving the boat, walking in with an icefishing sled or waiting for bites if tip-up or live bait fishing.

. . ...several years back my hand got crushed in an accident and have some nerve damage on two fingers. . ...and the cold kills them! The worst is winter cod fishing when they seem to always be wet/damp/slimy. . ...I've tried every glove out there. .....I've found the Atlas gloves....the big insulated pvc gloves the mates wear ...work good, but makes it really hard (for me) to fish with. ...this year I definitely plan on trying belt type hand warmer!!

. . ..one thing I did find from previous years is not to buy heat packs from Job Lot. ....cheap for a reason! I assume they're left overs from the past year and they just don't work. . ....not worth the gamble. Never had any issue with one's purchased at the tackle shop not heating. . ..