Hoop, that's an excellent question. Thanks for asking! Flouro isn't necessary from the shad's visual standpoint. I like the superior abrasion resistance it possesses over standard mono, it just holds up better, and lasts longer as leader material, hence my preference for flouro.

As an aside, I prefer to throw the longest leader I can get away with tossing out of a back cast. When I can, I'll throw up to a ~4' leader. IME I get more frequent hits/hook sets with a longer leader, than with a short one.

Today's report:
I fished above the RR bridge from about 4:30 to 6:30 pm. On arrival, a boater and his buddy was loading his trailer, and they had 7 shad on a stringer between them. Scuttlebutt from the parking lot was that several shad had been caught from shore around the noontime hours. Water temp was about 58º F, same level as yesterday, clear and but little current. I started out alone but was soon joined by "Radio", who reported several shad caught earlier in the day, including a nice roe. He C&R a small buck as he filled me in, shortly after he put his arm in a cast. Before I left, three other rogues joined me. Shortly after 6:pm, there was a hit, after a couple of head shakes, it was gone. A few minutes later I C&R a small buck, after a Kodak moment. Just after I released my vitamin shad, a usual suspect landed a middlin' buck. By this time, the wind had picked up, and was blowing up cold, and getting colder, from Bart's. At that point, I beat feet for home. It seems the action, while scattered, is picking up.

Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail over a 2' flouro leader, and a hammered silver willow in blue/white w/chartreuse dot.

Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (04/19/17 08:40 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"