Resurfacing this thread. It's a great topic Derek.

WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET!

Went out for my virgin trip with my new to me 2014 13' Hobie Revolution kayak with Mirage Drive pedal power and upgraded Turbo Fins and upgraded Sailing Rudder. I wore my brand new hi viz shark yum yum yellow/orangey yak lifejaket. Just pulled the tags off the jacket as I grabbed it out of my vehicle. Meant to go out for a quick jaunt from my Clinton cottages down to Pilots Point Marina Breakwall and back.

I got about 1/3 mile from Pilots Point and the storm front was in the distance coming in hot with rain and lightning. I was just about to turn around to beat the system and caught the glimpse of something about a 1/2 mile Offshore.

I paddled out to the area and it was a Mother and her Son in the water with a completely swamped 2-person sit in kayak drab gray in color. They were trying to swim it to shore in a moving tide WITHOUT LIFEJACKETS ON NOR ABOARD!!! The son was a poor swimmer, and both were winded. Dusk was approaching and rain and lightning were now upon us.

Towed them back towards shore until a waverunner came out and picked both of them up, then went back for their kayak.

WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET & KNOW YOUR LIMITS and the limits of those with you.

Stay Safe!