Way to find value in CT George! There are deals if you look for them. I share the same outlook in retirement as you. Mostly, wherever my kids end up is where I’ll probably be.

I agree with you O-Bass, most of learning is 90% student driven and the other 10% institution, but if I could improve on the 10% in-any way I can, within reason, then I will. All of my success has come because of education, so I hold that and learning as a top priority.

A recurring theme that previous posters refer to as a downside to this state is the sad state of fiscal health this state is in. I don’t think that is special just to CT. The majority of states in our union have budget issues. Look at RI, NJ, MA just to name a few. The states that are in good fiscal health are mostly mid west/central US. Parts of the country that I dont necessarily want to be right now.

Not that my wife and I aren’t aware of the dire state of things in our state government. Her being a high school teacher, we’ve watched her pension slowly getting eroded away over the years. Contribution rates into the pension fund are drastically outpaced by withdrawal rates. Just google “ct teacher pension fund” and dozens of article will pop up explaing how it’s been underfunded for decades. Madoff’s ponzi scheme looks like better investment. We don’t actually count on it as a retirement vehicle, though, just like I don’t count on social security to fund any part of my retirement. Instead, we invest in our own taxed advantaged acccounts to rely on for retirement. Along with disability and termed life insurance. Problem solved. I don’t worry one milli-second about it. My priority right now is spending my emotional and mental energy for my family. If we get anything from the pension or social security, great, if we don’t it doesn’t affect our finances one bit.

True OnTheWater102, CT taxes are high. As a matter of fact, as far as total tax load, CT is in the top five states for total taxes paid per capita. This includes income, property, sales etc. CT is also one of the states that allow a tax deduction for contributions into their 529 plan. Up to 10k. I help out my kids on their education with tax free gains and also get a state tax break. Problem solved.....for now. And as far as lower taxed states. Many of them are a favorite of retirees, like Arizona and Florida being at the top of the list. But exactly how much lower is the tax load? I believe its more like 0.5%-2% depending on the specific state. For that amount I’ll consider it the dues I have to pay to be here instead of uprooting my family for a lower tax state AND living in a state that I don’t want to be in.

That’s great DannyK. It looks like you carved out a nice little niche out there in Michigan. Being from CT you can give a good perspective on things out of state compared to how it is here. But it’s more than just the bass, fluke and blues for me that I’m in love with CT. It’s also the clam cakes, crab cakes, lobster rolls, oysters in the half shell, fish-n-chips, sitting at a table for hours tearing through a bucket of blue crab and beers. And then wanting to die afterwards. Nothing beats that.

None of the above makes me resent CT or want to move out. Or does it even remotely affect my day to day mood. I feel that if I keep my own financial house in order and have a healthy fiscal in house plan, all the other things are in the far background and I get to enjoy my time with my family and friends. I’m not saying that those that have issues with CT are fiscally irresposible. This is just how it applies to myself. End rant.

Thanks for all the responses. Everyone has an interesting take on things. Keep-’em coming.