Originally Posted By: RayZCT
Barn1, my experience in driving in VT is a little different, been going back and forth for the past 4 1/2 years because both grandchildren attend or attended the University of Vermont and daughter finally moved to Vermont in June. Speed on 91 and 89 seem to be 75+ but the roads don't have a lot of traffic so it seems safer, obviously the harsher winters not an advantage. Housing is not far off CT costs but education system no where as good as CT. VT has a drug problem, state is losing population and medical facilities no where near as available as CT. VT has only one certified trauma center, I know, I spent three days at the UVM Medical Center.

The plus for VT may only be their recreational opportunities but those diminish greatly when you reach 65 or your health goes down the tubes. Doubt most people will be using anything other than the bunny slopes at that age. Like most states, be careful what you choose for the rest of your life. Florida caters to old folks, thus the attraction but the weather sucks but old folks have a tendency to stay inside anyway.

Ray, for the most part, everything you said is not what I've found. We've bought a house twice the size of my CT house with 10X the land for the same money. The taxes on that 2X house are only 1.2X the CT taxes. The VT State Cops don't mess around and everybody knows it so they drive "reasonable" speeds. Not like the CT drivers. We have no kids so the school system matters nothing to me. In our location, we have 3 medical facilities within 30 minutes.

The weather in the Champlain Valley is almost the same as inland CT. Perhaps a bit cooler, but not significantly. We do get more small snows due to being on the down wind side of Champlain, but that won't bother me once I'm retired. It'll give me something to do with my new John Deere tractor with plow. There are drug problems in Rutland and Burlington, but not where we bought. Besides, there's drug problems in every state. There's no escaping that. And, finally, as a fisherman, even as I grow older there are plenty of places and techniques that I will be able to go/do without any problems.

So, for me and my wife, it's where we want to be.

Barn.

I work to live, not live to work.