I went down behind Bart's after work from 4:30-6:30 PM. The water was up over 5' from Tuesday, and it was remarkably clear. Good current, and a surface temp of 52°F, so it didn't cool off much from the other day.

There was one shad on the bank when I got there, and another was added about 5:30 PM. About 5:45 PM I had a light hit, and thought it might be an alewife, as a couple had been caught. Big Blue Backs, too. Then it got a little heavier. It turned out to be a decent buck, not quite 2#, long but skinny. I didn't have so much as another bump. And neither did anybody else.

While it's still slow, there are indications that it's heating up. A couple of people reported that one of the regulars, who puts a lot of time and effort into his shad fishing, landed an even dozen sometime early this morning.

Terminal tackle: I increased the drail to 3/4 oz, and bright, shiny willows seemed to produce better. My vitamin shad was caught on a Chartreuse/Florescent Green hammered silver willow. My red/white, and pink willows didn't get a look.

If it doesn't rain too hard, I'm heading out tomorrow, too. See you on the bank, tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"