Originally Posted By: FarmerJay
When I was young, my Dad used to combine opening day with an annual camping trip. I remember not being able to sleep for days in anticipation. I remember following my Grandfather's tractor as he plowed the gardens picking up garden worms vs night crawlers. Many times, the garden worms I had, out-fished people with the crawlers.

My parents divorced my Sr year of high school, so my Dad and I skipped the trip that year. Over the next year, I got it wet for the first time, and started chasing girls. Sadly, they quickly became a higher priority to me than fishing.

Now as an adult, I look back at my youth, with my Dad having passed now, and wished I took advantage of the time I had left with him while he was here. We can't change time though, and we're forced to live with the choices we have made!

I still enjoy getting out and fishing our old haunts, remembering our times together though. I don't have the tolerance for the crowds like I did when I was a kid, so I often wait until Saturday evening, or Sunday morning.

Those that have Dads still here, spend an afternoon fishing with them. Those that have children, take them fishing and let them take part in the excitement, because some day, when you're gone, they'll have those memories to warm their hearts when they miss you!

Jay you've about hit it "dead on"!!!

One of my "earliest" opening day memories is going to the Farmington River with my father back in the very early 70's. It was at the dam on RTE#4 just before the Collinsville Axe Factory.

We got there and of course it was packed so we had to keep walking down river till we found an open spot to fish. I think my father caught some trout & I didn't get the jist of river fishing at the time so I more or less just walked around "looking for treasure". Anyway it was a very good time for the both of us.

I should've been here yesterday?
I was...
And I didn't catch anything then either!!!

"Cheese has no business being on a turkey sandwich."~ Silas Robertson

"This here not keeping score crap; Ends today! " ~ Frank Barone

"I want to go back
And do it all over
But I can't go back I know" ~ Eddie Money