Most likely I will fish opening day. Pending the weather, I might take the boat out. If I am busy or the weather is iffy, I will sneak out in the afternoon to some local spots in Tolland/Vernon/Willington. It is not so much about the fishing as it is making a declaration that another New England winter has for the most part past and that I remain sane (for the most part).

Reflecting on Jay's thoughts earlier in this post, for many years, I would take my son out as a child and did so till about 6 years ago when he went off to college in Vermont. Now he he is finishing up his masters in Pottsdam NY (Clarkson University) which is a little south of Ottawa Canada. Considering he has taken a job coaching at Wesleyan Virginia Beach, it is not likely I will get to fish opening day with him anytime soon. On a brighter note, I will be visiting my son in late June for a 4 day weekend of Virginia Beach/Chesapeake Bay fishing. Also, my grandson (my daughter's child) will be two this August. Another year or two and he will be up for fishing and dogging. Dogging refers to the after fishing activity of driving from one hot dog wagon/joint to the next after having a dog or two. There is a lot more driving up here than there was in Brooklyn NY when my grandfather used to take me. Bottom line... fishing was always more about spending quality time outdoors with family. I am glad I have gotten out almost every opening day.

For the younger guys out there, no one ever, if they get the chance, on their deathbed looks back and says I wish I had worked another day or spent another day doing spring clean up. Yes opening day fishing is generally far from the best fishing but spending time with people you love and seeing some of the "tools" (there was guy on the Willimantic a few years back with a 11' surf rod, not a noodle rod, a real surf stick) are the stuff that fantastic memories are made of. I don't care if it's raining/snowing, cold etc. Get yourselves out there and make some memories. See ya at Harry's/Colechester which is a must stop on the "dog trail".