Originally Posted By: DeadBird
Originally Posted By: O-BASS
Looking at 2 places in maine next weekend

How far up are you looking?

About 30 min above Old Town.

The issues for us are quite different from what a lot of people are posting about. The general ideas I hear and feedback I get come from a lot of retired people, who I am lucky enough to share time with as well as folks a bit ahead of me on this site. Seems like it is always florida for the reasons posted.

Florida does nothing for me, as my wife pretty much shuts down above 80 degrees. I see some decent fishing reports, but overall it seems a bit too crowded for me. I am thinking of keeping a place in CT, and having a second place in Maine. A permanent move north would be great, but from Nov to April, it's a cold chilly place. I'm not a big fan of winter but Maine is so good when it is not winter...

We are going to look at a house that is, from what I can tell, perfect. The house is an open floor plan with almost 10 acres, private boat launch, and as a mid point geographically in the area it will give access at least 20 water bodies filled with smallmouth bass to the brim. It is almost too good to be true. Unfortunately, 2 mortgages is not something I really can afford, even if the price is perfect. I was planning on buying land and building over 20 years, but this is what I would have built.

I am always very aware, especially in the last 4 years, of how time is more important than money. MOney can be made, or made back; time cannot. A very pressing issue for me is obtaining the few things I want before I hit 125 years old, and then my back might not be good enough to enjoy them.

So ya know what? We will look at this house, and see if its possible. If its too good to pass up, then we WILL find a way. Life is too short not to make plans and then act on them.