I went back to the river early this morning in an attempt to catch a few smallies before the heat became too much. The water had receded about 2 feet in the past few days and the water was running very clear.
I threw a Whopper Plopper 90 most of the trip, and caught all my fish on it. I also threw a fluke around a few areas but only managed to fool 1 small fish to eat it but he threw the bait on the jump anyhow.

I ended up catching 5 quality fish, 2 little rats and a BEAST all on the Plopper.

The big girl was a special fish. She hammered the bait halfway back on my cast and immediately cartwheeled completely out of the water.... this fish was a full grown, old warrior.
She then went nuts all around me stripping drag and she fought really hard in the current. She finally tired and we got to spend a few minutes together. What a thrill!

It was another fun morning wet wading the river like a kid again, and to catch a few top water small jaws was like being a fat kid in a candy shop.

Here’s some pics of a few of the morning’s fish:

The River Dragon

One more angle on that beautiful river smallmouth. She was long and built right!

Here’s one of the other solid ones

Another quality top water bass

Edited by Tall 1 (07/19/20 09:42 AM)