Mitch--great topic and i read the lengthy article-but a review was in order...One thing in my favor---having not missed a meal in a few decades-"have built in bouyancy and insulation"...98% of my ice fishing has been after the toothy fellow at Bantam for some yrs now...and its been in shallow water.But a few yrs.ago i wanted to expand my ice jigging--which meant going on lakes i did not know well...And it was adventures on my own..Once i knew where i was going--i would look at a map. Besides what the drop-offs looked-like-i was looking for moving water and springs. When i arrive at a new lake.i always would go to where fisherman are and stay in that area and ask alot of questions pertaining to safety issues. I would always have a spud-plus 45ft of ski rope with handle that pulls my sled with a boat flotation cushion..nice to sit on also...Reading this article reminds me to start taking the cushion out again. I have'nt abandoned my spud yet...My biggest concern is getting out of the hole..i always carry my ice picks-but 225lbs+clothes{dry wgt.} and getting on in years --The$300+ for a suit that Rob.V has- sounds like a great investment.The bib bottoms and wind breaker{UCONN LOGO} thats been my outerwear for many years-cost more than $300..I think i'd feel mentally and physically alot better prepared than i am now..

TJV--Squantz Pond WAS my PLAY-GROUND for 16 yrs...Haven't found that sweet Florida fishin hole yet since i moved to Florida 10/1/07. ~~
PS~~Above animation avatar is me hooked into a 12FT. GATOR~~~~~