ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#548259 - 03/09/06 04:10 PM DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Mitch P. Offline

Here is some background, directly from Bill Gerrish, Senior Fisheries Biologist DEP, Inland Fisheries Biologist:

Quote:
In Bantam Lake, Northern Pike are preparing to spawn at this time of the year. In a normal year the fish start their migration to flooded terrestrial areas just after ice out. On any given day, when the proper temperature are reached you can expect to find pike spawning in these areas. Both the males and females will actively take an ice fisherman's bait during this time of the year. With the stresses of capture it is very likely the fish will void its' spawning product and fail to contribute to the population after being caught. This is DEP's main concern and is the substance behind the logic for a species specific closure.

Why is the lake opened to all fishing except northern pike? Since Bantam doesn't directly receive trout stockings there is no need to close the entire lake. By keeping it open it allows anglers to continue to enjoy fishing. Legally, you can fish at Bantam Lake after the closure of Northern Pike season. You may not target pike and if you catch one you must return it to the waters immediately. What constitutes targeting a northern pike? If you are using 12" bait and you have a steel leader on your tip-up you are fishing for northern pike and you'll be talking to one of our C.O.'s. If you are using large bait with heavy mono you may be fishing for pike or you may be fishing for bass. Do you want to risk the wrath of other fisherman over this? Do you want to have a conversation with one of our C.O.'s?

This is your resource and we manage it for you. Let's not push the envelope on this one. If you are being reasonable there is nothing to worry about. It is my hope that ctfisherman anglers are trying to do the right thing and simply want to avoid any hostile confrontations while they are having a good time. Enjoy what we can do for you and protect the resources so others can enjoy it as well as you do. Keep fishing and I wish you all 'Tight Lines'.
Fishing Info
#548260 - 03/09/06 04:51 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Jack Offline

Thanks Mitch for that. But I have to say if it is so detrimental to the Pike population they should just close the lake. Bantam is a Pike Management Lake, one of only 3 in CT, I beleive so why not just close the Lake? Just cause they don't stock it with Trout they leave it open? They should really consider closing it on Feb 28th.

Addicted to Kings!!! See you up in Lake O.

#548261 - 03/09/06 05:56 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
elcapitanmas Offline

I fully agree. Not all fisherman are as responsible as they should be.
E
#548262 - 03/09/06 06:30 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Happy Birthday TBONE Offline

Close it!!! Leaving it open doesn't do justice to what that lake is all about.... Trophy Northern Pike!! If we want a trophy Northern Pike lake we should let them spawn in peace. Without being accidentally caught or pressured. There are plenty of other good fisheries in the state that remain open through out the year and do not close. This gives everyone an opportunity to fish for many other species. For example.... you can go to the CT River and catch almost every species of fish that swims in CT...

Put in your time... and you will be rewarded...
#548263 - 03/09/06 09:26 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree. I say close it last day of Feb. and reopen third Saturday in April, or whenever regular opening day is.
#548264 - 03/09/06 10:13 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Greenglo Bob Offline

R.I.P.

Loc: New Preston
Let it rest in peace till legal seasons reopen.

He who dies with the most toys wins!!!
#548265 - 03/09/06 10:42 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Jebra Offline

Look, if the DEP was worried about the pike population they would have already closed Bantam!
What percent of the spawning population are fisherman likely to affect by catching and releasing? It's got to be so small that it's not significant. The DEP must be aware of this.
I would be more concerned about environmental factors that could be regulated, like getting the gas outboards and waverunners off the lake. I would think they have a greater potential to affect all of the fish in Bantam lake.

Go fishing for a carp and take a little snooze. Before you awake one rod and reel you will lose!
#548266 - 03/10/06 03:41 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
air leak Offline

Jebra...You're in favor of no gas outboards on Bantam? Why in heavens name would you want to do that? It's bad enough that there is motor restrictions on some lakes, now you want it on Bantam? Enough of the restrictions!
#548267 - 03/10/06 03:51 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Capt. Alewife Offline

Loc: "fiddle ridge"
I agreee with Jack on this one.It's important these fish continue to spawn. Just close the season!!

why make this laws that cant stand on one foot.
and are so unclear.. I fish with big shiners, who says i'm not bass fishing???

it's Clear Bantam is the most Productive Northern Pike Lake in CT. Let the fish spawn in peace.

while it'd be nice to think all anglers use good judgement.ITs just not true.

you'll close East Twin and Colebrook Res
but you leave open The best Pike Fishery during there spawn?? why protect the trout but not the pike/???

its not like you can't fish the CT river for pike ;\)

Seems unbalanced to me..

fishing is like life.. you learn as you go.and I can't stop learning

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.- Steven Wright

" they've hit that before, they'll hit it again!! leave it out there TILL they hit it!~"
#548268 - 03/10/06 03:56 PM Re: DEP Statement on Targetting Pike
Fullstrut Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL
Interesting info... I would tend to agree... might as well just close it.

Living the life down in FL!! smile1
But I miss everything I left behind in New England BAD!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Active Topics