ctfisherman.com logo
Page 25 of 31 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#931892 - 03/21/08 12:24 PM Re: Opening Day of Trout Season: Pros & Cons -- Part 2 [Re: Stars & Stripers]
MikeG Offline

Loc: NW CT
a bump before the upcoming season
Fishing Info
#931917 - 03/21/08 01:46 PM Re: Opening Day of Trout Season: Pros & Cons -- Part 2 [Re: MikeG]
Don D Offline

Loc: Bristol, CT
It's all about money boys and girls. Opening day generates lots of money with all the people fishing that day and for a few weeks after. We all fish all year so what's the big deal on giving the yahoos their couple weeks. Besides, it's tradition for tons of people to get out with their family members or friends at least once a year.

If there are fish to catch. I'll be there to my end.
#931923 - 03/21/08 02:05 PM Re: Opening Day of Trout Season: Pros & Cons -- Part 2 [Re: Don D]
PDona Offline

P.Donna at one time

Loc: Southern Ct
I'll continue our tradition since I've been about 7-8 years old. I don't think I've missed 1 opening day ! We took my 2 daughters for their first opening day, last year. I also go for the entertainment, but lately there hasn't been anything really crazy happen on Cedar Lake..

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Hug your mom more ! !

Paul Dona

A "not neat" knot is a knot not needed

><((((º> `•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

#931926 - 03/21/08 02:26 PM Re: Opening Day of Trout Season: Pros & Cons -- Part 2 [Re: PDona]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

I will contuine my opening day tradition....of going crappie fishing on non-trout water where I will have the entire place to my self with no idiots to contend with and I won't have to fight the crowds to find water that actually got stocked.

11" trout or 11" crappie - feel about the same to me.

Edited by Jighead (03/21/08 03:56 PM)

....If we have any say... Vote for May

#983155 - 08/12/08 04:28 PM Re: Opening Day of Trout Season: Pros & Cons -- Part 2 [Re: Jighead]
Mitch P. Offline

Friends and fish assist with grieving process
Tim Engstrom, Pothole Prairie

Published Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I caught three trout Friday and Saturday in Broad Brook, which flows through East Windsor, Conn. I grew up fishing off lake docks. I wasn’t knowledgeable in stream fishing. No worries, though. I had plenty of friends to help me.

And that’s how I have been dealing with the unexpected death of my dear friend Eric Wormstedt of East Windsor, Conn. Friendship is how it seems everyone he knew is dealing. He had so many friends. When I went out to Connecticut last week for the visitation and funeral, I figured I would be there as simply “Eric’s friend” to all of Eric’s friends. I discovered I was their friend, too.

I would describe Eric as an Army buddy, except that the Army was merely the start of our long relationship. Eric, Bryan Christianson of Tulsa, Okla. and I met in the Army, and the three of us would get together every few years. Bryan was murdered in May. He was 39. Eric died Aug. 3 when his car went off the road and hit a tree, probably because he fell asleep at the wheel. He was 36.

Two of my closest and best friends have been ripped away. And even though I have these draining, swirling emotions, I can say it has been easier to deal with because of other friends. Eric had loads of friends, and they are my friends, too.

I went fishing in Broad Brook with Eric’s nephew Mike Wormstedt and buddies Pete Nevers, Bill Smith and Sam Pomeroy. Bill and Sam had some luck but left the woods to avoid a storm. Pete, Mike and I welcomed the rain and found a honey hole of trout. We pulled 15 or 16 out of there and kept 10 on a stick. The rain livened the stream and made the day. We were wet, but supper was the best I’d had all summer. Plus, I learned to fish in a stream, something Eric had begun to teach me during a visit in Washingon state in 2004. His friends completed the lesson. They have renewed my childhood love of fishing.

Eric liked to write, too. At the funeral, his niece, Regina, shared what Eric wrote about his favorite holiday. He wrote it in 1995:

“To some it is just another Saturday, or the day before Easter depending on the year. For me, the third Saturday in April is the best of holidays. It is the opening morning of fishing season. I look forward to this Saturday like no other weekend throughout the year.

“The fishing season ends with the nearing of winter. From that moment on my friends and I begin daydreaming and discussing the following fishing season. We begin making plans for opening morning, or simply start bragging about all the fish we’re going to catch.

“By the end of January my friends, family and I have the itch, or the ‘bug,’ as we call it. This bug is the primordial urge to get our lines in the water and do a little fishing. However, it is still far too cold. The fishing is not as good in the winter. Sure, I could go ice fishing, but it’s just not the same.

“About a month or so later this bug has developed into a full-blown virus. After several trips to the tackle shop, it’s time to get my gear ready, two months ahead of time. I’ll spend hours rearranging my tackle box or cleaning my reel. For me, this day deserves great preparation.

“Soon, it is April, and by now I’ve already cast my line to the water at least once. My friends and I fish the Connecticut River when the ice goes off. We fish here because there is no closed season, and we can usually get some action prior to opening morning.

“Finally, the day arrives that I so eagerly await. The excitement of this morning has me leaping out of the bed at 4 a.m. A quick breakfast, and I’m off to greet the sun over my favorite fishing hole.

“Opening morning brings me to a blissful, childish state of excitement. It is not just opening day, but all that though and the preparation that goes into it before. The feeling of being on a stream, in the woods, during the misty morning sunrise and a trout bending your pole brings it all together.

“This has been a tradition in my family since long before my time. I’ve been upholding this tradition since I was old enough to hold a fishing pole. I have also seen the younger generations of my family follow this tradition closely.

“It does my heart good to see and feel the excitement that surrounds this day. Even more so, it does my soul good to see this joy in my family and friends as well. Just like a child at Christmas, I anxiously await my favorite holiday.”
#983566 - 08/13/08 04:37 PM Re: Opening Day of Trout Season: Pros & Cons -- Part 2 [Re: Mitch P.]
Jeremiah G Offline

Adventure Kayak Fishing Dude

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Tradition tradition tradition. I don't really understand the importance of it.

The defination of tradition - an act routinely done to make one content with life, but not allowing progression or an open mind.

WWJD ?

#983718 - 08/13/08 11:43 PM Re: Opening Day of Trout Season: Pros & Cons -- Part 2 [Re: Jeremiah G]
aNgLeR**J**8875 Offline

Im not trying to strike up a controversy here but my opinion is that trout are bred for a single purpose, to be caught and eaten. I would think otherwise if CT put a lenght limit on trout and kept the season open all year round. I look at places like Scoville Res. where I see hundreds of people who clearly fish 1-3 days out of the year just to catch trout. And I will tell you most of them don't even know the regs. with there buckets full of trout. I myself only keep trout if they die during capture which, lets face it, happens more than most would like. You will rarley see me fishing for trout anywhere but Trout Managment Area's where I know I stand a chance of catching fish after the bucket birgade has come and gone. These areas really hold alot of trout and it gives CT's true trout anglers a chance to experience a great fishery where I have found catching 20-30 trout in a days trip during the spring is not uncommon. Like Don D. said, I'm shure it has alot to do with the money that is taken in from liscenses, permits, etc. and I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade as far as tradition goes because I myself enjoy the thrill of waking up early on Opening Day morning, but if trout season remained open year round and regulations were strenghtened, CT trout fishing could remain as abundant all year as it is on opening day. Trophy trout for everyone

Just my .02 cents,
Jere
#1060408 - 03/12/09 07:56 PM why have an opening day for trout?
thepiper Offline

can anyone tell me why ct has an opening day? many other states have open seasons which allow fisherman to fish whenever they want.does it create that much revenue? i personally stay away from any trout rivers on that weekend
#1060413 - 03/12/09 08:01 PM Re: why have an opening day for trout? [Re: thepiper]
chris med Offline

No REDTIDE IN PANAMA

Loc: East Lyme
more revenue than one could fathom!!!

NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE,..DESTROYING FISHERMAN AND THEIR FAMILIES SINCE 1978.........
www.ocearch.org

www.theriverguide.com

TEAM SERIOUSFISHING
TEAM RUMSWIZLER
TEAM RED NECK CAMPER TOURS
TEAM "NO GUN ZONE" facepalm
TEAM PANAMA
TEAM GEPSIKCEHEHTEREHW
TEAM Swizzle

www.joinrfa.com
Contact Capt Mike Marro
Bluefin Charters, Clinton Ct. 203-245-7742
www.bluefincharters.com
As if the colassal middle finger hasn't been jammed up our asses far enough, the NMFS and ASMFC carry on with their daily masterpieces of saving species in peril..........We as recreational anglers serve thanks for all the fine "work"sick you do........
Fishin Factory III
Middletown Ct
860-344-9139
www.fishinfactory3.com
www.jigheadlures.com
www.castlebaits.com

#1060415 - 03/12/09 08:06 PM Re: why have an opening day for trout? [Re: chris med]
MattC Offline

Loc: Cheshire CT

Here we go agian!

Edited by mfcllc (03/12/09 08:07 PM)

Member of Wallingford Rod and Gun Club

Clarke Building and Remodeling llc
(203)537-1529
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clarke-Building-and-Remodeling-LLC/271375419549717
Page 25 of 31 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 30 31 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics