ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1175110 - 01/19/10 07:27 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
The Fish Man Offline

Loc: CT
I recently asked for and purchased a hunting/fishing combo license, and paid $58.00. This was New Years day. Upon talking with other icefishermen, they said I paid too much for a hunt/fish combo and too little for an "all waters" license.
Last year I purchased a $10 saltwater license, only to be told by officers that I didn't need one.
My gripe is this; no one knew what they were doing last year when selling the marine license, but they took my money. This year, the retailers didn't know what they were doing, and sold me a hunt/fish combo without marine. Now I have to pay full price for the marine license. What recourse do I have? I am of the mind that I play stupid when checked, and say, sure I have my license, as I asked for a hunt/fish combo. The entire thing is a mess. There was zero education to the retail community as to how to sell these things. The state didn't even know if you needed one or not. Where do I stand on this?
Thanks.

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.
Fishing Info
#1175147 - 01/19/10 09:23 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: The Fish Man]
Eric D Offline

I have a question...I usually fish at the Cape most weekends in the summer. Will my 10 dollar Ct marine waters fishing license cover me for both? (I'm a Ct resident)

Thanks, Eric
#1175366 - 01/20/10 01:01 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: The Fish Man]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: The Fish Man
I recently asked for and purchased a hunting/fishing combo license, and paid $58.00. This was New Years day. Upon talking with other icefishermen, they said I paid too much for a hunt/fish combo and too little for an "all waters" license.
Last year I purchased a $10 saltwater license, only to be told by officers that I didn't need one.
My gripe is this; no one knew what they were doing last year when selling the marine license, but they took my money. This year, the retailers didn't know what they were doing, and sold me a hunt/fish combo without marine. Now I have to pay full price for the marine license. What recourse do I have? I am of the mind that I play stupid when checked, and say, sure I have my license, as I asked for a hunt/fish combo. The entire thing is a mess. There was zero education to the retail community as to how to sell these things. The state didn't even know if you needed one or not. Where do I stand on this?
Thanks.

You can try calling License & Revenue in Hartford. I don't know if they will be able to help you out or not. The hunting/all waters license is $60, so I'm not sure why you paid $58.
Their number is 860-424-3105.
#1175370 - 01/20/10 01:08 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Eric D]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: Eric D
I have a question...I usually fish at the Cape most weekends in the summer. Will my 10 dollar Ct marine waters fishing license cover me for both? (I'm a Ct resident)

Thanks, Eric

From what I have read, Mass does not institute their salt water license until 2011. They are using the Federal Registry for 2010. Your best bet right now is to contact the Mass Environmental Police and see what their stance is on it.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/contactus.htm

From the Mass FAQ page:
Q16. I am not a Massachusetts resident, but I often come to Massachusetts to fish for saltwater species. I have a recreational saltwater permit from my home state. Do I need another permit from Massachusetts?

A16. That depends. If the state you reside in recognizes the Massachusetts permit as a valid permit for recreational fishing in their waters, then Massachusetts would afford the same privileges to properly permitted individuals from that state. However, if your state of residence does not accept a valid Massachusetts permit for recreational fishing in their waters, than you would be required to purchase a Massachusetts permit to recreationally fish/land in Massachusetts.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_license.htm#faq

From the CT FAQ page:

What is a reciprocal license privilege? (Is there reciprocity with any other states?)
Connecticut law allows non-resident anglers who hold a marine waters fishing license in New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine to fish in the marine district and land marine fish in this state without a Connecticut license provided the state issuing the marine license affords the same privilege to resident Connecticut marine license holders.

Can I fish in federal waters or in another state’s waters with a Connecticut Marine Waters license?

Federal waters: Federal registration is not required until January 1, 2010. Thereafter, CT Marine Waters fishing license holders will be exempt from the federal registry requirement. The CT Marine Waters Fishing License law was crafted to meet the federal criteria necessary to exempt our license holders from the federal registry.

New York: A saltwater license is not required for New York waters until October 1, 2009. Thereafter, New York will permit CT Marine Waters license holders to fish in the waters of Long Island Sound lying between NY and CT. Reciprocal privileges in other New York waters (ex. Block Island Sound) still need to be determined by New York officials.

NH: A saltwater license is not required for New Hampshire waters until January 1, 2011. There is no reciprocity with CT.

RI, MA, ME do not have marine license laws yet, so it is not possible to provide an answer for these waters. We will update this page as information becomes available for each state.
#1175593 - 01/20/10 10:13 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Eric D Offline

Thanks EnConn... Above and beyond as always
#1175946 - 01/21/10 09:55 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Eric D]
Lead Head Offline

Forgive me if I missed a recent response/update........ Will we still need a Ny license if we fish the south shore of NY or around Montauk? From what I read earlier in this thread recip. was only in the sound. So I have to assume once past the race we will need a NY Lic?
#1176110 - 01/22/10 11:59 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Lead Head]
EnCon Police Offline

The way I read the NY salt water license regulations, you would need a NY license on the south shore or past the Race. Play it safe and contact NY EnCon to be sure.
#1184071 - 02/15/10 10:46 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Lead Head Offline

Thanks for the response,

I will try to do that since the season is getting closer. I wonder if the guys that come from NY waters past the race will be required to get a CT Lic. NY is just looking for easy targets past the race to fine and check if that is the case. A CT reg sticker will be a sure way to get boarded I would bet.
#1185686 - 02/20/10 06:19 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
old fart Offline

Loc: Rocky -overtax- Hill, CT
Okay. My plan is to not purchase any licenses this year. Hunting or fishing. Nadda_ Not playing by these rules. That being said I have no intention of not getting out there. If I have to rent a charter and pay 10 times what the license costs I would rather give my cash to a someone in business than give a dime to the state. Nothing against EnCon enforcement. You guys are not the problem.

So_ a couple of questions:

I know for the marine district if I am on a party boat or a charter I do not need a license but one thing is not clear. Some charter captains or "guides" might be a better word will allow you to either come aboard on their boat OR will go with you and use your vessel. Is it the charter captain that exempts me from the license requirement or is it the fact that I am on his boat??

Same question for fresh water. Can I get a charter for the CT river and not have to purchase a license myself or is it different for fresh water. Also same issue with the his boat or mine thing.

Also I believe there are a couple of private hunting preserves where a state license is not required. Any comments on that situation?

Thanks,
-o.f.

"Let the people think they govern and they will be governed."
--William Penn
#1186006 - 02/21/10 10:52 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
CRAPOA!!!AS USUAL....

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics