Hop to:
#1110769 - 07/21/09 02:13 PM Marine License FAQ
EnCon Police Offline

Fishing Info
#1110795 - 07/21/09 03:28 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
RayZCT Offline

Loc: Glastonbury, CT
Skip, hypothetical situation.

If the State of Kansas opts out of having a state program (surprise) and a Kansas resident gets a Federal registration, can that resident fish Connecticut waters?

Thanks.

Z-Man Custom Fishing Rods
#1110820 - 07/21/09 04:21 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: RayZCT]
EnCon Police Offline

I would say no....from the way I read it the only states we have reciprocity with are New York and the New England states.
Here is what is posted on the FAQs: (look at the last question)

What is a reciprocal license privilege? (Is there reciprocity with any other states?)

Connecticut law allows non-resident anglers who hold a marine waters fishing license in New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine to fish in the marine district and land marine fish in this state without a Connecticut license provided the state issuing the marine license affords the same privilege to resident Connecticut marine license holders.

Can I fish in federal waters or in another state’s waters with a Connecticut Marine Waters license?

Federal waters: Federal registration is not required until January 1, 2010. Thereafter, CT Marine Waters fishing license holders will be exempt from the federal registry requirement. The CT Marine Waters Fishing License law was crafted to meet the federal criteria necessary to exempt our license holders from the federal registry.
New York: A saltwater license is not required for New York waters until October 1, 2009. Thereafter, New York will permit CT Marine Waters license holders to fish in the waters of Long Island Sound lying between NY and CT. Reciprocal privileges in other New York waters (ex. Block Island Sound) still need to be determined by New York officials.
NH: A saltwater license is not required for New Hampshire waters until January 1, 2011. There is no reciprocity with CT.
RI, MA, ME do not have marine license laws yet, so it is not possible to provide an answer for these waters. We will update this page as information becomes available for each state.

If I enroll in the federal registry can I fish in CT or any other state’s waters where a state license is required?

No. A state issued marine fishing license would still be required in CT and in other states having their own license.
#1110825 - 07/21/09 04:35 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
carlynewlondon Offline

Loc: Home: Burlington, Boat: New Lo...
Its BS that NY only honors our lic in the sound. That should be changed.
#1110872 - 07/21/09 06:51 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: carlynewlondon]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: carlynewlondon
Its BS that NY only honors our lic in the sound. That should be changed.

Not our choice...New York sets their own rules.
#1110891 - 07/21/09 07:34 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
RayZCT Offline

Then a state license allows you to fish in your own state's water, Federal waters and the waters of reciprocal states following the restrictions set by the reciprocating states. If the state is not a reciprocating state, stay out of their water! Sound right?

Thanks, Skip.

#1111070 - 07/22/09 11:56 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: RayZCT]
EnCon Police Offline

That's about it Ray...or buy a 3 day license when you visit that state (if they have one).
#1111177 - 07/22/09 05:47 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
bk Offline

Loc: Newtown
How about as a ct resident I buy a NY licence for $15. That allows me to fish all waters of CT and all waters of NY. Is that right?
#1111180 - 07/22/09 05:54 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: bk]
Riptide Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
Nope, states you can only use one of those in CT waters if you are a non-resident. Guess they thought that one out.
#1111185 - 07/22/09 06:02 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Riptide]
EnCon Police Offline

bk, you can try...but it won't work. You are a resident of CT, so we will be looking for a CT resident license.
#1111253 - 07/22/09 08:52 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Reelin Offline

Not to worry boys, you think you guys are getting hosed? .......if you are a charter or a party boat, NY gets to hose us out of another $450 on top of the $250 we already pay.

Hey Skip, with the state coffers so cash poor, why don't we charge NY charters and party boats more money?
#1111268 - 07/22/09 09:42 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
carlynewlondon Offline

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
bk, you can try...but it won't work. You are a resident of CT, so we will be looking for a CT resident license.

So does that mean I also have to prove residency when I get pulled over? Maybe I should just carry my birth certificate, drivers lic, and passport with me whenever I'm on the water in addition to my safe boaters certificate card and lic. I don't need that many peices of paperwork to board an international flight.

BTW if NY won't honor ours completely we shouldn't honor thiers. If I have to pay 15 bucks to fish the south side of fishers they should have to pay to fish bartletts.

Wow kevin are you getting hosed for the privlidge of taking people out on the water. You'll be doing one trip at no profit this year (like you had a ton to begin with for sure) just to give to the state. This is total BULL SH!T

Edited by carlynewlondon (07/22/09 09:43 PM)
#1111494 - 07/23/09 02:32 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: carlynewlondon]
chris med Offline

No REDTIDE IN PANAMA

Loc: East Lyme
I have yet to be Educated.........

NATIONAL MARINE FISHERIES SERVICE,..DESTROYING FISHERMAN AND THEIR FAMILIES SINCE 1978.........
www.ocearch.org

www.theriverguide.com

TEAM SERIOUSFISHING
TEAM RUMSWIZLER
TEAM RED NECK CAMPER TOURS
TEAM "NO GUN ZONE" facepalm
TEAM PANAMA
TEAM GEPSIKCEHEHTEREHW
TEAM Swizzle

www.joinrfa.com
Contact Capt Mike Marro
Bluefin Charters, Clinton Ct. 203-245-7742
www.bluefincharters.com
As if the colassal middle finger hasn't been jammed up our asses far enough, the NMFS and ASMFC carry on with their daily masterpieces of saving species in peril..........We as recreational anglers serve thanks for all the fine "work"sick you do........
Fishin Factory III
Middletown Ct
860-344-9139
www.fishinfactory3.com
www.jigheadlures.com
www.castlebaits.com

#1111514 - 07/23/09 03:17 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: chris med]
bk Offline

Loc: Newtown
How much is the fine going to be when I get caught?
#1111522 - 07/23/09 03:25 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: bk]
Reelin Offline

Oh yeah, the whole purpose of this was to get an accurate count of non-commercial anglers.

The a-hole legislatures just see it as away to grab more $$$$$.
#1111526 - 07/23/09 03:34 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Reelin]
RayZCT Offline

Remember, this started as a Federal requirement and at $10 a pop, no one is going to make any money. We will be lucky if it covers the cost of the new bureaucracy it will create.

#1111530 - 07/23/09 03:46 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: RayZCT]
jonh Offline

FUBO

10 dollars was just the lube being applied to the backside. It will be 3-4 times that in short order.

Militant Bluefish Jihadist

"Our leaders are stupid, they are stupid people," "It's just very, very sad" - Donald Trump 2011

"With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people? It sure sounds like it." - JAMES M. INHOFE

"Most meteorological research is funded by the federal government. And boy, if you want to get federal funding, you better not come out and say human-induced global warming is a hoax because you stand the chance of not getting funded." - WILLIAM GRAY

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in fishing" - Babylonian proverb
#1111540 - 07/23/09 04:26 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: chris med]
carlynewlondon Offline

Originally Posted By: chris med
I have yet to be Educated.........

Same here and I'm not planning to get one until I am.
#1121213 - 08/19/09 01:26 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: carlynewlondon]
The Fish Man Offline

Loc: CT
Is there any talk of licensing a boat, instead of a person, so guests that go out with me once a year do not have to buy a license?

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.
#1121351 - 08/19/09 07:47 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: The Fish Man]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: The Fish Man
Is there any talk of licensing a boat, instead of a person, so guests that go out with me once a year do not have to buy a license?

Not that I'm aware of.
#1175110 - 01/19/10 07:27 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
The Fish Man Offline

I recently asked for and purchased a hunting/fishing combo license, and paid $58.00. This was New Years day. Upon talking with other icefishermen, they said I paid too much for a hunt/fish combo and too little for an "all waters" license.
Last year I purchased a $10 saltwater license, only to be told by officers that I didn't need one.
My gripe is this; no one knew what they were doing last year when selling the marine license, but they took my money. This year, the retailers didn't know what they were doing, and sold me a hunt/fish combo without marine. Now I have to pay full price for the marine license. What recourse do I have? I am of the mind that I play stupid when checked, and say, sure I have my license, as I asked for a hunt/fish combo. The entire thing is a mess. There was zero education to the retail community as to how to sell these things. The state didn't even know if you needed one or not. Where do I stand on this?
Thanks.

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.
#1175147 - 01/19/10 09:23 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: The Fish Man]
Eric D Offline

I have a question...I usually fish at the Cape most weekends in the summer. Will my 10 dollar Ct marine waters fishing license cover me for both? (I'm a Ct resident)

Thanks, Eric
#1175366 - 01/20/10 01:01 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: The Fish Man]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: The Fish Man
I recently asked for and purchased a hunting/fishing combo license, and paid $58.00. This was New Years day. Upon talking with other icefishermen, they said I paid too much for a hunt/fish combo and too little for an "all waters" license.
Last year I purchased a $10 saltwater license, only to be told by officers that I didn't need one.
My gripe is this; no one knew what they were doing last year when selling the marine license, but they took my money. This year, the retailers didn't know what they were doing, and sold me a hunt/fish combo without marine. Now I have to pay full price for the marine license. What recourse do I have? I am of the mind that I play stupid when checked, and say, sure I have my license, as I asked for a hunt/fish combo. The entire thing is a mess. There was zero education to the retail community as to how to sell these things. The state didn't even know if you needed one or not. Where do I stand on this?
Thanks.

You can try calling License & Revenue in Hartford. I don't know if they will be able to help you out or not. The hunting/all waters license is $60, so I'm not sure why you paid $58.
Their number is 860-424-3105.
#1175370 - 01/20/10 01:08 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Eric D]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: Eric D
I have a question...I usually fish at the Cape most weekends in the summer. Will my 10 dollar Ct marine waters fishing license cover me for both? (I'm a Ct resident)

Thanks, Eric

From what I have read, Mass does not institute their salt water license until 2011. They are using the Federal Registry for 2010. Your best bet right now is to contact the Mass Environmental Police and see what their stance is on it.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/contactus.htm

From the Mass FAQ page:
Q16. I am not a Massachusetts resident, but I often come to Massachusetts to fish for saltwater species. I have a recreational saltwater permit from my home state. Do I need another permit from Massachusetts?

A16. That depends. If the state you reside in recognizes the Massachusetts permit as a valid permit for recreational fishing in their waters, then Massachusetts would afford the same privileges to properly permitted individuals from that state. However, if your state of residence does not accept a valid Massachusetts permit for recreational fishing in their waters, than you would be required to purchase a Massachusetts permit to recreationally fish/land in Massachusetts.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/recreationalfishing/rec_license.htm#faq

From the CT FAQ page:

What is a reciprocal license privilege? (Is there reciprocity with any other states?)
Connecticut law allows non-resident anglers who hold a marine waters fishing license in New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Maine to fish in the marine district and land marine fish in this state without a Connecticut license provided the state issuing the marine license affords the same privilege to resident Connecticut marine license holders.

Can I fish in federal waters or in another state’s waters with a Connecticut Marine Waters license?

Federal waters: Federal registration is not required until January 1, 2010. Thereafter, CT Marine Waters fishing license holders will be exempt from the federal registry requirement. The CT Marine Waters Fishing License law was crafted to meet the federal criteria necessary to exempt our license holders from the federal registry.

New York: A saltwater license is not required for New York waters until October 1, 2009. Thereafter, New York will permit CT Marine Waters license holders to fish in the waters of Long Island Sound lying between NY and CT. Reciprocal privileges in other New York waters (ex. Block Island Sound) still need to be determined by New York officials.

NH: A saltwater license is not required for New Hampshire waters until January 1, 2011. There is no reciprocity with CT.

RI, MA, ME do not have marine license laws yet, so it is not possible to provide an answer for these waters. We will update this page as information becomes available for each state.
#1175593 - 01/20/10 10:13 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Eric D Offline

Thanks EnConn... Above and beyond as always
#1175946 - 01/21/10 09:55 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Eric D]
Lead Head Offline

Forgive me if I missed a recent response/update........ Will we still need a Ny license if we fish the south shore of NY or around Montauk? From what I read earlier in this thread recip. was only in the sound. So I have to assume once past the race we will need a NY Lic?
#1176110 - 01/22/10 11:59 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Lead Head]
EnCon Police Offline

The way I read the NY salt water license regulations, you would need a NY license on the south shore or past the Race. Play it safe and contact NY EnCon to be sure.
#1184071 - 02/15/10 10:46 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Lead Head Offline

Thanks for the response,

I will try to do that since the season is getting closer. I wonder if the guys that come from NY waters past the race will be required to get a CT Lic. NY is just looking for easy targets past the race to fine and check if that is the case. A CT reg sticker will be a sure way to get boarded I would bet.
#1185686 - 02/20/10 06:19 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
old fart Offline

Loc: Rocky -overtax- Hill, CT
Okay. My plan is to not purchase any licenses this year. Hunting or fishing. Nadda_ Not playing by these rules. That being said I have no intention of not getting out there. If I have to rent a charter and pay 10 times what the license costs I would rather give my cash to a someone in business than give a dime to the state. Nothing against EnCon enforcement. You guys are not the problem.

So_ a couple of questions:

I know for the marine district if I am on a party boat or a charter I do not need a license but one thing is not clear. Some charter captains or "guides" might be a better word will allow you to either come aboard on their boat OR will go with you and use your vessel. Is it the charter captain that exempts me from the license requirement or is it the fact that I am on his boat??

Same question for fresh water. Can I get a charter for the CT river and not have to purchase a license myself or is it different for fresh water. Also same issue with the his boat or mine thing.

Also I believe there are a couple of private hunting preserves where a state license is not required. Any comments on that situation?

Thanks,
-o.f.

"Let the people think they govern and they will be governed."
--William Penn
#1186006 - 02/21/10 10:52 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
CRAPOA!!!AS USUAL....

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1186224 - 02/22/10 01:25 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Conrad G.]
EnCon Police Offline

Originally Posted By: old fart
Okay. My plan is to not purchase any licenses this year. Hunting or fishing. Nadda_ Not playing by these rules. That being said I have no intention of not getting out there. If I have to rent a charter and pay 10 times what the license costs I would rather give my cash to a someone in business than give a dime to the state. Nothing against EnCon enforcement. You guys are not the problem.

So_ a couple of questions:

I know for the marine district if I am on a party boat or a charter I do not need a license but one thing is not clear. Some charter captains or "guides" might be a better word will allow you to either come aboard on their boat OR will go with you and use your vessel. Is it the charter captain that exempts me from the license requirement or is it the fact that I am on his boat??

No, technically a Charter/Party Boat registration is assigned to the vessel. You can take a look at the application here: Charter Boat Registration

Same question for fresh water. Can I get a charter for the CT river and not have to purchase a license myself or is it different for fresh water. Also same issue with the his boat or mine thing.

There is no exemption for fresh water charters, the language of the statutes are specific to the Marine License.....

Sec. 26-27. Licenses required for hunting, trapping and fishing. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), (c), (e) or (f) of this section and other provisions of this chapter providing specific license exemption, no person shall take, hunt or trap, or shall attempt to take, hunt or trap, or assist in taking, hunting or trapping, any wild bird or mammal and no person more than sixteen years of age shall take, attempt to take, or assist in taking any fish or bait species in the inland waters by any method, without first having obtained a license as provided in this chapter. No person under sixteen years of age shall hunt or trap, except as provided in section 26-38.
(b) Any landowner who has a domiciliary residence in this state, his spouse or lineal descendants may hunt, trap or fish on land owned by him or on land leased by him and on which he is actually domiciled, which land is not used for club, fishing or hunting purposes, without a license, subject to the provisions of this chapter.
(c) No fishing license shall be required for any person who is rowing a boat or operating the motor of a boat from which other persons are taking or attempting to take fish.

(d) The taking of fish and bait species as herein provided shall be regarded as sport fishing and the taking of such species in the inland waters by commercial methods for commercial purposes shall be governed by other provisions of this chapter.
(e) No fishing license shall be required for any resident of the state who is participating in a fishing derby authorized in writing by the Commissioner of Environmental Protection provided (1) no fees are charged for such derby, (2) such derby has a duration of one day or less and (3) such derby is sponsored by a nonprofit civic service organization. Such organization shall be limited to one derby in any calendar year.
(f) The Commissioner of Environmental Protection may designate one day in each calendar year when no license shall be required for sport fishing.

Marine license Public Act language
Sec. 4. (NEW) (Effective June 15, 2009) (a) Except as provided in subsections (b), (d), (e) or (f) of this section and other provisions of chapter 490 of the general statutes providing specific license exemption, no person more than sixteen years of age shall take, attempt to take or assist in taking any fish or bait species in the marine district by any method or land marine fish and bait species in the state regardless of where such marine fish or bait species are taken, without first having obtained a marine waters fishing license as provided in section 5 of this act.
(b) No marine waters fishing license shall be required for any person who is rowing a boat or operating the motor of a boat from which other persons are taking or attempting to take fish.
(c) The taking of fish and bait species as herein provided shall be regarded as sport fishing and the taking or landing of such species in the marine district by commercial methods for commercial purposes shall be governed by other provisions of chapter 490 of the general statutes.
(d) No marine waters fishing license shall be required for any resident of the state who is participating in a fishing derby authorized in writing by the Commissioner of Environmental Protection provided (1) no fees are charged for such derby, (2) such derby has a duration of one day or less, and (3) such derby is sponsored by a nonprofit civic service organization. Such organization shall be limited to one derby in any calendar year.
(e) No marine waters fishing license shall be required for any person who is fishing as a passenger on a party boat, charter boat or head boat registered under section 26-142a of the general statutes and operating solely in the marine district.
(f) The Commissioner of Environmental Protection may designate one day in each calendar year when no license shall be required for sport fishing in the marine district. [/i]

Also I believe there are a couple of private hunting preserves where a state license is not required. Any comments on that situation?

If a location has a Private Waters permit that would allow you to fish there without a license.

Section 26-131 of the General Statutes. Registration of Private Waters. Any owner of private waters who desires to remove fish from such waters as provided for in this section shall apply to the board for a certificate of registration of such private waters on a form furnished by the board.
Such applicant shall furnish the board such information, under oath, as it deems necessary to carry out the provisions of this section. There shall be a fee of seventy dollars for the examination and registration of such private waters by the board and all such fees shall be remitted by the board to the state treasurer and by him applied to the general fund. Any owner of private waters which have been so registered may take, or permit guests to take, any species of fish from such waters at any season of the year, without a license, provided such waters have not been stocked at expense to the state and provided the board may make regulations governing and prescribing the methods of taking such fish and the conditions under which such fish may be removed from the premises, possessed and transported. The owner of such registered waters shall notify the director in writing, within forty-eight hours, of any change in ownership or other conditions which would invalidate the registration of such waters as private waters under the provisions of this section. Any person who holds such a certificate of registration and who violates any provision of this section or any regulation issued by the board as herein authorized shall be fined not more than two hundred dollars and the board may suspend or revoke such certificate.

Sec. 26-112-40 of the Regulations. Private Waters. Owners of private waters registered with the State Board of Fisheries and Game as provided by the general statutes, and their guests, may remove any species of fish from such waters by any method, except by the use of chemicals or explosives. Fish taken from such waters may be removed from the premises, possessed and transported at any season of the year without regard to legal lengths or daily creel limits, provided such fish, or the package containing such fish, shall have attached thereto a tag or label bearing legible writing showing the registration number issued for such water by the Fisheries Division, the name and address of the owner of such water, the number and species of fish, the date such fish were removed from such water and the name and address of the person removing the same. Such fish shall not be sold, offered for sale or exchange. No fee may be charged for the privilege of fishing in such water.

Thanks,
-o.f.
#1186478 - 02/23/10 05:14 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
old fart Offline

Loc: Rocky -overtax- Hill, CT
Thanks a lot EnCon. I guess that leaves the charter fishing on the salt. Better than nothing.

Conrad seems to have some issue. Not sure what it is.

"Let the people think they govern and they will be governed."
--William Penn
#1187495 - 02/26/10 07:21 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
DoubleHaul Offline

Loc: Western Mass
I am a resident of Massachusetts. MA will not have a marine license til 2011. If I purchase a federal prmit in 2010 can I fish in CT waters with the federal permit?.....Thanks
#1187565 - 02/26/10 10:45 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
John from Madison CT Offline

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
What is the penalty for not having a license?

Every now and then somebody I know decides to hop on my boat last minute who maybe fishes once per year.

I'd like to know the penalty if they got caught.

#1187580 - 02/26/10 11:28 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: John from Madison CT]
gerg Offline

In RI, the first offense is $10. The fines go up after that, but you get your first fine for the cost of your permit.

Nice common sense rulez, if you have to have them that is.

Btw, the federal perit is free in 2010 and will cover you in RI and MA. Ct, well, I'm sure Encon will enlighten you.

Well behaved boats rarely make history.....
#1187591 - 02/27/10 12:16 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: gerg]
Lead Head Offline

Originally Posted By: gerg/greg

Btw, the federal perit is free in 2010 and will cover you in RI and MA. Ct, well, I'm sure Encon will enlighten you.

Please share Greg???
#1187607 - 02/27/10 01:31 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Lead Head]
gerg Offline

Share? I just didn't want to step on someone who knows for sure with my recollection of what they said last time. But, I believe Encon already said a fed permit wouldn't be recognized in ct.

To be fair though, it's only recognized in RI because the gov. originally vetoed the bill and they fell back to the fed permit. When they over-rode the veto, they left the allowance for the fed permit in place. MA just didn't pass a bill for 2010 and intentionally accepted the fed permit.

Ct, needs more of your money apparently.

Well behaved boats rarely make history.....
#1188156 - 03/01/10 12:14 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: gerg]
EnCon Police Offline

CT does not recognize the federal permit for fishing in CT's portion of LIS. Right now you need either a NY or CT license...if you are a CT resident, the CT license is required. When the MA marine license goes into effect in 2011 it would be valid in CT's portion of LIS PROVIDED that MA recognizes a CT marine license in their waters. If MA does not offer reciprocal license privileges to CT license holders then we would not reciprocate for their license holders.
#1194299 - 03/21/10 12:02 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: John from Madison CT]
waynesworld Offline

Loc: Pedasi,Panama
Originally Posted By: John from Madison CT
What is the penalty for not having a license?

Every now and then somebody I know decides to hop on my boat last minute who maybe fishes once per year.

I'd like to know the penalty if they got caught.

I would like to know what the fine is myself?????

"that aint bottom! you got a fish!!

http://hahaiguana.blogspot.com/

#1194476 - 03/22/10 12:16 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: waynesworld]
John from Madison CT Offline

OffshoreFishingGear.com

Loc: Old Saybrook (formerly Madison...
It might be cheaper to pay the fine then to get all these required licenses.

Edited by John from Madison CT (03/22/10 12:17 AM)

#1194592 - 03/22/10 12:04 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: John from Madison CT]
EnCon Police Offline

The fine is $77 - plus a one year suspension of your fishing/hunting/trapping license or if you don't have a license, suspension of your fishing/hunting/trapping privileges in the state for one year.

Sec. 26-61. Suspension of license, registration or permit. Restoration. Fines.
(b) Upon the conviction of any person for any violation of any provision of this chapter, any regulation issued by the commissioner or any regulation issued by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service under the provisions of section 26-91 or any of the provisions of section 53-204, 53-205, 53a-109 or 53a-115 to 53a-117, inclusive, or upon the forfeiture of any bond taken upon any complaint, or upon the payment of any fine for an infraction pursuant to section 51-164n, a license, registration or permit issued pursuant to this chapter to such person by the commissioner and the right to obtain any such license, registration or permit may, for a first violation or infraction, be suspended by the commissioner for not more than one year, and such permit, license or registration, together with the flag or other insignia issued by the commissioner, shall be surrendered to the commissioner or his authorized agent, except that for a violation of any provision of section 26-85 such permit or license or the privilege to obtain such permit or license shall be suspended for not less than one year nor more than two years. For a second violation of any of said laws or regulations the commissioner may suspend any such permit, license or registration and the right to obtain any such permit, license or registration for not more than two years, except that for a second violation of any provision of section 26-85 the suspension period shall be not less than two years nor more than five years; for a third violation or infraction the commissioner may suspend any such permit, license or registration and the right to obtain any such permit, license or registration for not more than three years, except that for a third violation of any provision of section 26-85 the suspension period shall be not less than five years and may be indefinite; and for a fourth violation or infraction within a period of ten years, the commissioner may suspend any such permit, license or registration and the right to obtain any such permit, license or registration for an indefinite period.

(d) Any person who procures any permit, license or registration to which he is not entitled or engages in fishing, hunting or trapping during the period when his permit, license or registration is voided or suspended shall be fined not less than one hundred nor more than two hundred dollars and all fishing, hunting or trapping permits, licenses or registrations issued to such person shall be suspended for an indefinite period. Any person who procures any permit, license or registration to which he is not entitled or engages in fishing, hunting or trapping during the period when such permit, license or registration and the privilege to obtain such a permit, license or registration are suspended for an indefinite period shall be fined not less than two hundred dollars or be imprisoned not more than sixty days or both, and, for a further violation in case of such indefinite suspension, shall be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than one year or be both fined and imprisoned.

#1213656 - 05/19/10 11:51 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Final_Chaos Offline

If I go by boat to fish in Rhode Island with my CT resident salt water license, I don't think there is a way to get back to CT by boat without passing through New York Waters that are outside the borders of "Long Island Sound". So technically speaking do I need a NY license to bring my Rhode Island caught fish back to Connecticut?

Second Question. I take a group of 4 buddies fishing on my boat. Lets say we get stopped and 2 of my 4 guests did not have a saltwater license. As the boat owner, am I at all responsible in any way under the law for the 2 fellows in my example that did not have a license?

Thank you in advance for responding!

Edited by Final_Chaos (05/20/10 01:06 AM)
#1214143 - 05/21/10 04:49 PM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: Final_Chaos]
EnCon Police Offline

For questions about New York you need to contact New York EnCon Police.

If your fishing guests do not have a license they are in violation, not you.
#1214302 - 05/22/10 02:53 AM Re: Marine License FAQ [Re: EnCon Police]
Szczupak Offline

Loc: Norwalk CT
i like to pay some fines
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics