ctfisherman.com logo
Page 78 of 122 < 1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 121 122 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1390670 - 02/09/12 01:41 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Trooper_Bri Offline

Loc: Smellington
She's the Woman is the only one from Firestarter I noticed off the bat on the new disc. But I don't blame them for reworking some of this stuff. Firestarter had some good stuff on it. Dunno if anything else was used and re-named.

Also heard the Stay Frosty tune, and either Outta Space or The Trouble with Never. I may have to buy it.

Slow fishing is better than no fishing.
Fishing Info
#1390674 - 02/09/12 02:38 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: x182dan]
Climber Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By: x182dan
Originally Posted By: Climber
Going to see TOOL at Mohegan on Tuesday night. My good friend from high school Adam Jones is the lead guitar for the band. I get to go back stage which is always an awesome time. TOOL is a fantastic band in my opinion.

Thats awesome!!! So when you go back stage does maynard hide on the tour bus the whole time?

I have never met Maynard all of the times I have been back stage. Adam usually has his own room so we just hang in there and 99% of the time Dan and Justin come in but not Maynard.
#1390802 - 02/09/12 07:03 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Trooper_Bri]
scooter72 Offline

Loc: Windham,CT
Originally Posted By: Trooper_Bri
Gonna have to look at the titles and see how many of the songs off this "new" album are from the 1976 production with Gene Simmons.

Alot of them are re-done songs (or riffs, anyway) from that demo. In any event, the band sounds excellent and very tight. Guitar work is excellent. Alot of critics are trashing Dave for his "aging vocals" but Jesus Christ the guy is like 60 years old, of course he's not gonna sound like he did almost 30 years ago. Depends all on what you expected from them. If you wanted stuff with keyboards, ballads, along the Hagar vein you will be disappointed. If you wanted some good hard rock with a few new twists, I think they put out a very good album.
Having said that, and even though Eddie's kid does OK, I still think that Michael Anthony should be there.

Edited by scooter72 (02/09/12 07:47 PM)

You can say anything foolish to a dog, and that dog will still give you a look that says, "WOW!! What a great idea!! I never would have thought of that!!"

Some people are born on third base, then spend the rest of their lives thinking they hit a triple.
#1392354 - 02/16/12 01:56 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Trooper_Bri Offline

I've listened to the disc 4 or 5 times now.

The instrumentals are tight and sound awesome! It doesn't stray from the recipe, and it covers the old sounding VH stuff to the newer. If Eddie tried anything new, it was brief and un-noticed. Grade: A for diehards. B to B+ for those who expected something else.

David sounds fine if he stays away from the high notes.
I can only assume he's responsible for the lyrics in these songs. Some just have that weirdness in them I associate with his solo days. He's trying to pack too many words in at times and has to speed through parts. Grade: B+ for still having the capacity.

I like this disc more for the Eddie side than the Dave side. Songs like Tattoo sounds great, but the goofy lyrics cripple the song. Sounds Frosty gets good, but I have to listen to Dave go UH UH UH UHUH UHUH UH UH like a fire alarm buzzer first. There's 4 songs I'd flush just for these annoying traits.

Bottom line: It's definitely better than nothing, but it's nothing new.

#1396194 - 03/02/12 10:32 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

Saw VH on Tuesday at MSG. Show was good. I give it a 6/10.

Eddie was spot on. He flawlessly executed every single song and note. I only wish the volume was cranked a little higher. I wanted my ears to be ringing.

Alex was solid.

David Lee did the job. But he had a special section of hard wood floor set up at the front of the stage so he could slip and slide all around. It was silly. Before the show, they lubed it up with some kind of powder. All I could think of was that sliding/bowling game you see in bars.

Musically, Wolfgang did what he needed to do. But, he looked out of place with the other legends on the stage. For a kid his age, he should be sporting long hair and acting like a maniac. He looks like a lazy old man on stage.

With no Michael Anthony, you feel it’s just not the complete package.

Set list was solid, but of course, you always want more. I feel they should have done three or four more songs. I didn’t like them closing with Jump, but I knew it was coming, as I read the review of their Chicago show a few days ago.

Bottom line: I checked off one seeing one of my favorites in action. I never saw VH with David Lee before.

Had some more friends go see their 2nd show last night at MSG.
#1396197 - 03/02/12 10:36 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
gboutdoors Offline

Don't Just sit there, get out!

All I gotta say, after trying like a MoFo to get ripped off payin for VH tickets is:
CHICKENFOOT! Different Devil!!!!
Who needs DLR anyway? He's a sisssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee, buwahahahahaha!
And GOOD seats for Hagar are just $90...jus sayin
(ps I know Satriani is not Eddie)

Edited by gboutdoors (03/02/12 10:41 AM)

Gary Brummett
Connecticut Outfitters
512 Silas Deane Highway
Wethersfield, CT 06109
860-571-8986
Gary@CT-Outfitters.com
#1396757 - 03/05/12 12:16 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
tmc3 Offline

Loc: south Glastonbury
If I was Eddie, I would be embarrassed that my kid was a big pussball.
He has no business on stage.

Plastic Design International
111 industrial park rd.
Middletown ct 06457
http://www.plasticdesign.com/

AUTOMACHINE
55 Newberry rd.
East Windsor, CT.06088
860-627-9244
Competition Engines & Balancing
"DEPENDABLE POWER"
#1403078 - 03/29/12 04:40 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

#1407979 - 04/16/12 10:31 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Trooper_Bri Offline

This is WAY outside the heavy metal genre, but too interesting to ignore.

This could possibly pave the way for other "reunions" assuming everyone has their price. Who wants to see Pantera with Dimebag Darrell back on guitar? Or Jimi Hendrix?

Warning. NSFW or children.

#1407991 - 04/16/12 11:00 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

I watched a little of that vid earlier today. Creepy, and I could care less about Tupac, but could see some interesting uses for that technology related to music.
Page 78 of 122 < 1 2 ... 76 77 78 79 80 ... 121 122 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics