ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1445677 - 09/25/12 02:50 PM Back to normal mixed fish
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
Jo-Ann will be back home next week for the first time since the storm. I have been back to doing what I want to do instead of storm recovery work. The other day I took 2 professional photographers out to shoot Pelicans. From first light till about 10:30 they took a few thousand pictures and were very happy with what I put them on.

Seeing I already had the boat in the water I decided to fish a little. I tried to get somebody to go with me but last minute nobody was available. I made 2 stops and on the second stop it took me 1/2 hour to nail a half dozen 24-26 inch redfish. I caught 3 shorts in the mix and threw one of the keepers back. Also found a 14 inch trout.

Been running a boat occasionaly for BEF construction. One of the spots I had to drop off the people to do a beach study was a cut down river that I normaly just run through. Having to sit there while they walked the beach area studying the BP oil tar ball impact was painfull.

Watching redfish feeding next to me like the one in the lower center of this picture without a pole was not the way I want to be on a boat. They took an air boat thru the cut at the top of the picture and run through a shallow swamp area to the left to get to the beach. We just sit there till they are done or move to another area to pick them up.

I decked 2 days with Eddie Burger and we did well. Not as good as some others but that is fishing. The first day we hit some shrimp boats. There was a lot of action with blackfin, bonito, and sharks. We caught over 50 large blackfin while looking for that trophy yellowfin. While Eddie and I were throwing blackfin back the other guys were putting some in the box. Somewhere late in the day one of the lines starts singing and it is clearly not a shark or a blackfin. After a little more than a half hour we stick a nice fatboy.

Note the blackfin in the bucket we are cutting up for chum. After things settled down we took a break for a photo opp with this 130 pounder.

Ended that day with one big boy and a load of blackfin as well as 3 flounder we got off the shrimp boat.

Yesterday the same guys had to get in early and had enough tuna so they wanted amberjack. We did find the amberjack. The cobia were hiding and we also ran across a shrimp boat that held some blackfin and bonito but the yellowfin were not there. If it had yellows on it the cobia hunt would have never happened. One of the other boats in the area did find a boat with yellows on it but we were out of radio range. On the way in we made one last ditch effort in state waters for a possable cobis but onl;y got a redfish and a large jackcravele.

Thursday I will be running a boat for BEF again. May find an (item) to pass the time while sitting there all day. Back to normal except the wife is not back yet to b%$*h at me.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1445679 - 09/25/12 03:14 PM Re: Back to normal mixed fish [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Beauty Yellow Hoop!

What is BP's plans to do with that oil in the marsh? or, can they do anything?

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1445689 - 09/25/12 03:51 PM Re: Back to normal mixed fish [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
Tar balls and mats are the problem. Most of the oil as you know it is taken care of by the sun and seas. We do not see oil or sheen floating on the surface unless it is something new. Most of the oil as you know it is taken care of by the sun and seas. BP will not be going away any time soon.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1446047 - 09/26/12 03:21 PM Re: Back to normal mixed fish [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
nice mess of fish you got there. It is good to see you getting back to real work laugh instead of storm clean up.

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
#1446188 - 09/26/12 09:03 PM Re: Back to normal mixed fish [Re: Sweetchuck]
TommyTrebble Offline

Blu_Dragonfly's Net Boy

Loc: New Hartford, CT
Great Report ! applause applause beerchug

Better to imitate a Winner then be an Original Loser.

Team Crappieholic

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics