ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1482581 - 03/06/13 01:17 PM For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats....
EnCon Police Offline

PRESS RELEASE

DEEP Announces Restriction of Oversized Vessels for Boating on Candlewood Lake

Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) today announced new regulations concerning the length of boats on Candlewood Lake will go into effect today, March 6th. Boats 26-feet in length or greater (both power and sail) are now restricted from Candlewood Lake unless they have been authorized for use by the Commissioner of the DEEP.

Authorization to operate will be given to oversized boats that have historically been used on Candlewood Lake. Owners of oversized boats who wish to continue to use them on Candlewood Lake will need to apply to the DEEP for an authorization decal for their boat, which will remain on the boat for life. That authorization remains with the boat, regardless of the owner. Marine dealers located in one of the five municipalities surrounding Candlewood Lake who have oversized boats in stock or on order may also apply for authorization decals for those boats. Commercial and governmental boats are exempt from this regulation.

“Restricting vessel length on Candlewood Lake will have positive effects on access, pumpout facilities, noise pollution, user conflict, and safety” said Susan K. Whalen, Deputy Commissioner of the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. “The regulations will not have an impact on trailerable vessels which are under 26-feet in length and will mostly impact lakeshore residents and those that use nearby marinas.”

Additional Information
Through Special Act 10-3, the legislature of the State of Connecticut directed the DEEP to amend the state’s regulations in order to restrict vessel length on Candlewood Lake. Any questions regarding this regulation can be directed to Eleanor Mariani, Boating Division Director, by telephone at (860) 434-8638. Questions can also be emailed to Timothy Delgado in the Boating Division at timothy.delgado@ct.gov

Obtaining an Authorization Decal
Forms to apply for authorization of an oversized boat are now available on the DEEP Boating website. A limited number of forms have been supplied to the Candlewood Lake Authority. For the time being, all completed forms and supporting materials should be mailed to the Boating Division of the DEEP for processing at the following address:
DEEP Boating Division
P.O. Box 280 (333 Ferry Road)
Old Lyme, CT 06371-0280

Applicants should allow three weeks for processing of the application. Marine Dealers have until May 5, 2013 to request an authorization decal for boats that are in stock or on order as of March 5, 2013. All others have until December 2014 to request an authorization decal.
Fishing Info
#1482583 - 03/06/13 01:20 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
Riptide Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
Interesting. How many people were trailering in boats over 26'? Was this really a big problem?
#1482584 - 03/06/13 01:20 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
Mitch P. Offline

Thanks! Great news.

About time! Those boats belong elsewhere.
#1482594 - 03/06/13 01:34 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
I wish they would have just done it for the summer months. That's all that is needed. If I did live in New Milford and if I owned a 29ft Grady, I might want to get it out to do my Spring shakedown cruise. Good thing I live by Zoar instead!!!!
#1482608 - 03/06/13 02:07 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
EnCon Police Offline

There are/were some really big boats on Candlewood.
#1482610 - 03/06/13 02:28 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
Riptide Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
What percent are owned by people on the lake?
#1482612 - 03/06/13 02:31 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
EnCon Police Offline

The Boating Division did a study and had all the stats. I don't have them handy but I'll see if I can find them.

UPDATE - got this from Boating Division - They surveyed and found 110 boats over 26 feet on Candlewood. They are figuring no more than 150 will probably end up being grandfathered. Apparently they missed a few when they did the survey. No info as to the percentage that were owned by lake residents vs non-residents.

Edited by EnCon Police (03/07/13 08:31 AM)
#1482614 - 03/06/13 02:34 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
The Real Iceman Offline

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
There are/were some really big boats on Candlewood.

No Kidding, that's primarily why I avoid the lake in the summer months
#1482616 - 03/06/13 02:38 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
Westbrook Offline

As much as I find it annoying wrt big boats and their wake etc, I detest how the government can mandate something like this and then exempt themselves.
#1482624 - 03/06/13 02:58 PM Re: For those of you planning to fish Candlewood with your 45 foot bass boats.... [Re: EnCon Police]
Bob Bradley Online   content

Originally Posted By: EnCon Police
Owners of oversized boats who wish to continue to use them on Candlewood Lake will need to apply to the DEEP for an authorization decal for their boat, which will remain on the boat for life.

Those must be dam good decals.

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics