ctfisherman.com logo
Page 47 of 53 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 52 53 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1092076 - 06/03/09 02:57 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: Al Cappy Jr]
Joe.G Offline

Good stuff Dan...Great little boat. I had one just like it until I crushed it learning to drive my bobcat...

It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

http://www.stalkerbait.com/

Fishing Info
#1092108 - 06/03/09 04:11 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: Joe.G]
BASSMANinCT Offline

This past Sunday on Twin Lakes, I lost a huge fat cow on a 5 inch swim bait.

My partner and I were trying to catch a nice male bass on a nest in 10 ft of super clear water. This guy looked to be about 18 inches or 3 lbs just eyeballin it. Now, when you add the fact that he was 10 feet below the boat on a nest, you know this fish was probably much bigger. We tried jigging for him, but all he would do was come up to the bait and stare at it. A half hour goes by, and not one take.

Then all of a sudden, we spot his wife, slowly cruzin about 6 feet away, circling the next. She looked at least 5 lbs or two feet long. I threw my swim bait out towards where we saw her go, and sure enough, I hooked up with her. I got her in about 12 feet from the boat, and felt her rising up to jump, so I stopped reeling. She came up and opened up her mouth like that lion does at the begining of the movies, and looked like she was laughin at me. Then she darted straight down, and "SNAP" off she went, never to be seen again that day. She broke my 14 lb vanish fluro clean off.

She was huge, and would have been my biggest bass yet.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!"

BASSMANinCT
My Fishing Pics Here: http://facebook.com/CameraManSWAIZE
#1092128 - 06/03/09 04:52 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: BASSMANinCT]
RichZ Offline

Geezer

Loc: CT
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but...

Originally Posted By: BASSMANinCT
She broke my 14 lb vanish fluro clean off.

Therein, lies the problem.

RichZ

Everybody's got to believe something — I believe I'll go fishing.

Check out my Bass Blog.
#1092148 - 06/03/09 05:23 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: RichZ]
Flipper Offline

Loc: Brookfield
+1

Made that mistake once. Vanish is exactly what the fish did every time I set the hook with that junk. LOL
#1092407 - 06/04/09 03:01 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: Flipper]
RichZ Offline

Geezer

Loc: CT
This thread is a great read. Long (very long), but still an interesting look into the collective mind of the denizens of this site and their various views on the chances of seeing our state bass records broken.

I've avoided commenting on it for a while now (like 5 years between posts), but the renewed traffic in it has kind of revved me up. I wrote a lengthy treatise on my thoughts on the next Connecticut LMB record for my blog. If you're interested, click the link in my sig line and check it out.

RichZ

Everybody's got to believe something — I believe I'll go fishing.

Check out my Bass Blog.
#1092418 - 06/04/09 09:34 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: RichZ]
Joe.G Offline

Great article Rich.

It is the mark of an intelligent mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

What you do should speak so loudly that no one can hear what you say."

http://www.stalkerbait.com/

#1092456 - 06/04/09 11:15 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: Joe.G]
zzzzzzzzzzz Offline

interesting article Rich..

Interesting and a little sad. ha ha

But it makes a lot of sense. Every public body of water in Ct. has way too much pressure to catch a 13 pound bass. I think if there is a 13 pound bass in CT. it probably lives in one of the water companies private rez's. that no one is allowed to fish. I know of a few of these rez'z that i used to sneak into when i was a kid. Being a child and Not even being a good fisherman i would catch huge bass from the shore (8 pounds)

If the record is broken it would probably be a fish taken from one of these illegally fished rez's and the fisherman would lie and claim he caught it from somewhere else.

See ya soon buddy
#1092463 - 06/04/09 11:44 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: Greg Bilotta]
zzzzzzzzzzz Offline

Here is a huge smallie that Rookie caught last week when he was fishing a new lake. Unfortunatly he didn't have a scale with him when he caught it.. yeah, the smallies are getting bigger each year.

See ya soon buddy
#1092467 - 06/04/09 11:54 AM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: Greg Bilotta]
edaves Offline

ok, My take on a record fish existing in Ct waters is its very possible.
I've read reports of very good good fishermen fishing a controlled situation. A small pond would have a known population of bass. The anglers would fish the pond for a year, all fish recorded and tagged. Some fish were caught many times, others caught once, and, a number were not caught. The study thought these fish died or were otherwise taken. But when the pond was drained, voila, there they were.
If I was a betting person, I would bet on a new record fish coming from a out of the way pond, this pond might have some kind of cover option which would hinder the casual type angler.
#1092496 - 06/04/09 01:03 PM Re: RECORD LARGEMOUTH!!! [Re: Joe.G]
Jighead Offline

I love re-re-opening day

Well said Rich.

I'm a huge fan of the aggressive indescriminate feeding bass, but like you said, those are the bass most like caught and most likely caught the most often....and most likey end up being kept for dinner because of it.

I wonder if there might be any way to overcome that reality (in a perfect world) Maybe we keep bass caught on jigs and worms but release all the bass caught on aggressive presentations ;\)

Only my opinion again....but I think competiton breeds aggression too. In lakes with good bass populations they seem more competitive. We see it in smaller bass all the time, where the aggressive fish gets to the bait first. Throw a bait an equal distance between 2 bass and they just might be looking at the other bass more than they are looking at the bait. Whichever gets to it first wins. Obviously competition for food is much greater among 12" bass than it is with 24" bass for two reasons. First the 12" bass is limited on what food is available to them by the size of food that will fit in his mouth. Secondly it is surrounded by other hungry 12" bass too - not to mention every other crappie with a belly that is grumbling - so there's not time to be too selective and they need to act fast.

I find the same thing to be true in larger bass too if the population densities remain high. Problem is the bigger they get the less of them there will be to compete with, while they also become less and less limited by what will fit in their mouths. Still though, if you threw a bait between two 5 pounders....the instinct to get there first would still be present and your odds of catching one of those two are much improved in that situation than if either of those fish happened to be alone at the time.

The fact that the larger they get, the less of them there will be, is a given that we can't control(to a degree). Not to open a new can or worms here and debait slot limit management practices.....but the one issue I have with it, is that it results in more larger fish (over the slot) being removed from the population. I say in a trophy bass management lake, protect them all the way to 22" not 18".

In a typical CT lake/pond we have a relatively few big bass surrounded by excess forage, that don't even need to break a sweat to find a meal. In a few places I have found over many seasons (that shall remain nameless ;\) ) where good populations of larger than average bass exist, there is no panfish stunting. Actually the panfish don't roam the entire lake freely and they actually need to be cautious about where they swim. The bass need to work a little harder to find a meal and they will need to roam the shallows to do it. It is that competition for food that creates aggressive bass too. Where we have waters where there are so many panfish roaming the entire lake unchecked that a big bass can sit 100 yards off the bank in 15ft of water and accidently suck in a Bluegill while simply yawning......it is going to make for tough fishing.

Yes I exaggerate but only to make a point. We have lakes with excess forage base and a shortage of predatory fish according to the DEP......which in the simplist of terms means that it can easily support MORE large fish. Then why wouldn't we manage them for more large fish then?

Even if most people practice C&R on a particular lake and even if harvest rates are not significant from what they can tell - Legally or illegally, or accidently, every large bass removed or injured creates a void. Every 4-lb bass had a chance to be an 8-lb bass, until it's dead. I say set the management goals for "too many large bass" and see it we can ever actually get to that level \:\)

....If we have any say... Vote for May

Page 47 of 53 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 52 53 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jess Caraballo 

Active Topics