ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1491529 - 04/14/13 04:13 PM Scouts invade Empire
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
Troop 12 from Baton Rouge invaded Empire again this week. This is the second time they have done this and we were talking about making it an annual thing. They arrived after dark and quickly set up camp.

I was surprised at the calm and efficient way they all went about thier task. Each of them paired up, picked a spot in the yard, and the camp was almost instantly there. In the morning I made coffee and ventured out in the yard. Some of the adults were just getting up and not long after the young ones started crawling out of the tents. In short order all 27 of them were scrambling about like ants.

The adults set up the breakfast area and the first crisis arises. No milk for cereal! They forgot the milk. After what seemed like 20 minutes trying figure out what to do one of the kids opens up a cooler full of milk jugs.

My house was never used. They even had the important things taken care of.

I have a stump to burn so that was the weekend fire pitt or in this case mound. The fire was still burning but only a few went to visit it. They were here to go fishing.

Capt John took 21 of them on the Cougar and I put the other 6 on my boat. With all these hooks in the water and the way the red snapper have been the expectations were high. The forecast was for things to deteriorate as the day went on. I went out of state waters hoping to put an amberjack or 2 in the boat before going inside for snapper. As soon as we got to the rig I new things were not right. The current was rushing and the water was not the color I was hoping for. I jigged down and hooked up but before I could hand the rod to one of the kids it threw the hook. Next hookup one of them gets to fight a fish.

Unfortunately it is only a shark. We went to 2 other rigs close by. After a few more trys and another shark we join the cougar. In this picture the boat is tied up to a rig so that shows you the type of conditions we were up against in the morning and it just got worse.

He was not doing well at all. Both of our boats were working the area with little to show for our efforts. I moved to another area and found a few redfish. A salvation but not what we came out for.

The winds, current, and seas made it almost impossable to fish where we wanted to. We were forced to duck around the back side of the pass for some protection. The highlite of the day was a nice tripple tail one of the kids caught. He had no idea what he caught and thought he had a black drum. I don't think till he gets it home and eats it will he realise how good of a fish he caught.

About 2:30 we put our tails between our legs and headed to the barn with our dismal catch. I put them up for a photo at my cleaning station and then dressed them out.

With a forecast of bad weather for the night a decision was made to break up camp and head back to the city so they would not have extra work drying out the camping gear. As quickly and quietly as they set up all was packed away and they were ready to go about the time it took me to clean and pack the fish. My guests were gone.

Darn good they went when they did because we had 3.7 inches of rain between midnight and 10 this morning. Here is a picture of the camp site about 11:00 today.

The only guests today were---

Pumps are on and most should be gone by this evening.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1491661 - 04/15/13 09:21 AM Re: Scouts invade Empire [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Thom T Offline

Loc: massachusetts
boy does that tent privy bring back some meories of a big I mean big sscout master that lean back on the throne which had a brckward lean to it anway next thing you know is the tent and all the asorted gear rolling done the hill with the scout master still inside still bring tears to my eyes,
#1491712 - 04/15/13 12:29 PM Re: Scouts invade Empire [Re: Thom T]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Man, when it rains down there it RAINS! I guess having water on either side of you delta supplies the clouds with alot of moisture.

Good getting them out in the slop. Maybe they could get some bay boat charters to donate a trip. 6 boats should cover the group.

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1491860 - 04/15/13 11:06 PM Re: Scouts invade Empire [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
John and I had it covered 21 with John and 6 with me. I think you were here in one of those rain events. BTW I mowed mine and my neighbors front yards this afternoon. This was the back yard yesterday afternoon. Drys up quickly.

We had white wing whistler ducks in the back yard this afternoon feasting on something in a small area that takes about 3 days to dry out. The neighbor had about 6-10 there all day.

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1492021 - 04/16/13 05:05 PM Re: Scouts invade Empire [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
joe sabas the fishin magician Offline

Loc: Jupiter,Florida
Nice job a memory for a lifetime

JOE SABAS
THE FISHIN MAGICIAN