ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1579239 - 05/26/14 06:32 PM Anchor advice
Murph Offline

Loc: CT. Got a problem with that?
So for my tin boat, I used to have a 15# anchor which I lost in the rocks last year. As far as I can tell from descriptions, it was a 'standard stockless' anchor.

Boaters world used to have them but they are out of business. Walmart and West marine only have Danforths and other light anchors.

Where can I buy one close to Milford? or does anyone have one to sell?

So you may ask, what the heck do you need a 15# anchor for in a 14' tin boat?
The 5# Danforth works fine provided you let out the recommended 5:1 or more scope and you don't care where you end up. But when anchoring up to the rock walls or trying to pinpoint a spot with the 15# anchor I can bite with scope less than 2:1, sometimes close to 1:1.

I managed to crash into another boat earlier this year because the primary anchor let loose after the double anchor into the wall was set.

If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.

Fishing Info
#1579253 - 05/26/14 07:48 PM Re: Anchor advice [Re: Murph]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
Could be the type bottom you are on. A grapnel may do you better in the walls....

I would go with the danforth with 6-8 ft of chain for all around anchoring. You don't need that 15lb seacock....

I do have a 10 or 15 pound one of those I would sell....
#1579255 - 05/26/14 07:49 PM Re: Anchor advice [Re: Murph]
KillTaker Offline

Loc: Southbury, CT
I also have a couple of danforths and a blackfish anchor if you are innerestered....
#1579311 - 05/26/14 10:08 PM Re: Anchor advice [Re: Murph]
BLUECHIP Offline

Loc: Old Lyme
have any Rode?
#1579422 - 05/27/14 10:31 AM Re: Anchor advice [Re: KillTaker]
whaler150dan Offline

Loc: Western Sound
for blackfishing in the rocks, I use a grapnel anchor with the line tied on the bottom (upside down) and run a strong zip tie up thru the eye of the anchor and zip tie the line (double wrap on the zip tie). This works great when you need to pull up but the anchor is fast stuck in the rocks. Put enough force on the line and the zip tie breaks allowing the pull of the line to reverse, and pulls the anchor out of the rocks. You do have to pay attention to the condition of the zip tie as they chaff on the rocks. I carry a bag of them and put a new one on before each outing.

This usually allows me to set a scope of less then 2:1 unless it's too rough. Such a low scope can be dangerous and end up swamping the boat. And I'd Never anchor off the stern with this either.

15#'s of Anchor has to be quite a workout?

Dan B

Active Topics