ctfisherman.com logo
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1680429 - 05/12/16 12:50 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
I was there as well but I went down stream a little from the launch and was wading. I ended up catching and releasing 8 Alewives and 3 shad. Had a few more hits but could not connect. I used 5/8 drail over 3 foot leader. Colors I lost track of what I was throwing and catching them on.

I did have some of my striper gear with me and contimplated throwing top water or some soft plastics but did not. With all the bait in the river the stripers have to be around!

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
Fishing Info
#1680752 - 05/15/16 08:45 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I stopped by Bissell this afternoon from about 3-5:15 pm. It was COLD, a blustery wind out of the West, and overcast. Fortunately the water was clear, flowing, and relatively debris free but it was VERY low. There were about 8 regulars already plying their trade but no shad on the bank but they did admit to a few scattered shad having been caught throughout the afternoon.

About 15 minutes after I arrived, one of the regulars C & R a nice buck, which gave him a decent fight for it's smallish size. Right after he released it, I had a solid hit, and at first I thought I had snagged bottom. And then it started to pull, and go deep. It kept it's head down, and as soon as I turned him, he put his head down again, and took more line. He made me earn him but eventually I got him in for a picture, and release. My vitamin shad for the day, as I didn't have another hit. One of the other regulars C & R a buck about the time I was taking the picture. They were all middlin' bucks, thick, and bout 3#+. About a half hour or so later, a really nice roe (~4#) was landed but except for a couple of alewives, dinky tiny, little striper (I've caught bigger alewives), and a fat white perch, that was it for the day.

Terminal tackle: 1/2 oz drail, over 3' flouro leader, and hammered silver willow in white/yellow/orange w/black dot.

Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (05/15/16 08:48 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
#1681267 - 05/19/16 08:54 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Monday, 16th.May:
I stopped by Bissell for a couple of hours from about 3:30-5:30. The water was way down on the ramp, the lowest I've seen it this year. The usual suspects were working the water, and there was a shad on the bank. The action was slow and scattered, alewives outnumbered the shad by a slim margin, I only saw 6 or 7 shad caught. All I caught were alewives to keep the skunk off. Meh. :-/

Terminal tackle: 1/2 oz drail over 2' flouro leader, and hammered silver willow in a variety of flourescent colors. The smaller #1 leaves seemed to get more hits than #2 or #3 leaves.

After work today I stopped at Bissell from 4:30-7:15 pm. The water was back up, almost to the last cleat, clear and flowing well. The regulars had a couple shad on the bank, and 2 of them hooked up at the same time shortly after I arrived. Once again, the shad were scattered, as were the alewives. By the time I left, 8 or 9 shad had been caught, and maybe a dozen alewives. Once again, all I caught was alewives.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 4' of flour leader, and hammered silver, gold or copper willows in bright colors. Yeah, I emptied my tackle box...

Ah well, maybe tomorrow. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1681463 - 05/21/16 10:15 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I stopped by Bissell from about 5:30-8:15 pm. The water was down about a foot from Thursday, and clear. The breeze, such as it was, was very light out of the south, and it remained very comfortable until about 7:pm when it started to cool off.

There were a bunch of regulars but no shad on the bank. I had a nice hit on my third cast but it didn't stick, and I didn't catch anything until after 6:pm, a white perch. Other than a couple of bumps, and a head shake, that was all she wrote, for me. By the time I left, three shad had been landed, including a nice 4# roe. Alewives were few and far between today, too.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 4' flouro leader, and I emptied the tackle box of willows again: hammered silver, gold or copper in all the skittles colors.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1710548 - 03/30/17 09:52 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Scott65 Offline

Loc: Plantsville
George?
#1710554 - 03/31/17 01:40 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
George?
#1710670 - 04/01/17 05:56 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
StarkC69 Offline

SABOD

Loc: Hampden, MA
George?

Team Stark Stronger
Team Three Belles
Team Masshole
FUKINNAUTICALSICKCRAZYMOTHERBADASS

#1710734 - 04/01/17 11:00 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I'm not dead, yet. ROTFLMFAO!

And I'm champing at the bit for shad. I'm afraid we'll be catching trout before shad this year. Which reminds me that I need to get my licenses in order, tout suite.

Either way, TIGHT LINES! YMMV, and invariably will...

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics