ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1672954 - 03/12/16 05:12 PM Shad! 2016 Edition
No Fish Today Offline

I'm back, and it's time for another round of my favorite game fish, SHAD! I know how much y'all have missed me... laugh

With the warmer temps, I couldn't stand it any longer, and I had to go out to scout my favorite haunts. Jack Frost was good to us this year, bless his pointy little icicles, the banks at Bissell, and Bart's are looking good, even if the water is a little high yet.

Bissell was marginally fishable, the water was mostly clear, and free of debris but there wasn't much current. And while the water wasn't up into the parking lot, it had staked a claim to a fair part of the ramp. I didn't waste any time there, and headed over to Bart's.

While the Farm'y was up, it wasn't too bad or hard to fish. Especially above the RR bridge, where the water was only up to the feet of the trees closest to the water. I had plenty of room to stand and, more importantly, cast. Water was clear but moving languidly. I forgot my thermometer so, no surface temp but the water looked cold, and probably was due to the recent rain. (I doubt there is any snow melt contributing to the runoff.)

It was a beautiful morning to be out for about an hour, just before 10 to 11:20-ish. Nice and warm in the sun, with little to no breeze. And nobody around except passersby, a few of whom stopped to chat. In brief, I took casting practice today. I didn't really expect anything, and when a fat bug treading water mid-stream floated by entirely unmolested, it confirmed what I expected: no fish today. Maybe tomorrow morning, we'll see if I can steal an hour or two.

Important stuff, tackle: one-piece UglyStick U/L rod, Penn 4200 SS reel spooled with 10# Power Pro. Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail, ~4-1/2' leader of 8# Flouro over silver willows (I tried a yellow with black dot, and a green/white with black dot). I love this set up, it casts like a dream, and I can throw it all day long!

I'm looking forward to this year's run, and can't wait for the ladies to make an appearance--tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (04/11/16 03:35 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
Fishing Info
#1672959 - 03/12/16 06:21 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
...you left???
#1672971 - 03/12/16 07:28 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
carlynewlondon Offline

Loc: Home: Burlington, Boat: New Lo...
I love these shad reports, keep them up.

I need to get out this year, it's been 25 years since I've caught one or had shad roe.
#1673023 - 03/13/16 04:31 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Don P, I typically only post on CTF this time of year, and in this thread, LOL!

CarlyNL, don't let another year pass, come on out and catch some shad!

I just got back from a couple hours behind Bart's. It was good to catch up with some old friends at the boat launch: Radio, Milton, and a couple of others whom I recognized but couldn't remember their names. Most fished at the launch, while Radio and I plied the Farm'y above the RR bridge.

The water was clear, moving a hair better than yesterday, only occasional flotsam passing, and the water was down almost a foot from yesterday. Radio and I got the skunk, and I haven't heard of anybody catching anything, yet. It's just a matter of time before somebody lands one, although I expect tomorrow's rain will keep things quiet for a little longer.

Tackle: one-piece UglyStick U/L rod, Penn 4200 SS reel spooled with 10# Power Pro. Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail, ~4-1/2' leader of 8# Flouro over silver willows (green/white with black dot, and orange with black dot).

If I can get out before the rain comes, I'll try Bart's again tomorrow. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1674219 - 03/22/16 10:21 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

On Monday, 21.March I headed out for a couple of hours in the afternoon, and took casting practice at Bart's, and down at the Bissell--no fish today. And I didn't see anybody else fishing, no one on shore, no trailers in the parking lots.

I spent a little over an hour at Bart's above the RR bridge. In spite of the recent weather event rolleyes there wasn't much evidence of the "Nor'easter". Except for the chill breeze blowing down the river, it was actually kind of pleasant. The water was neither higher nor lower than my last outing, it was clear, and the current was about the lack-luster same, with the exception that the breeze was making the surface look like the river was moving faster than it was, in fact. Surface temp was about 45º F, I'm sure it was colder at depth.

I headed over to the Bissell off E. Barber St for a little over 30 minutes, and it was about all I could take there. The wind was blowing down the ramp to the river, and it was cold. It also caused my leader/willow to foul on the weight and main line too often. Water was moving slowly, fairly clear (a little silty), and about 6" over the 2nd cleat. Except for the wind, fish-able.

Terminal tackle:
Farm'y: 3/8 oz drail over 2-1/2' of 8# flouro, silver willow w/orange & a black dot, and silver w/yellow/red & black dot.
CT R: 3/4 oz drail over the same leader, and silver willow w yellow/red & black dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1674623 - 03/25/16 05:08 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Headed over to Bart's yesterday afternoon until 4:PM (Thurs, 24.March). I had slabbed by the Bissell first but the wind, and water were about the same as this past Monday, so no go.

At Bart's the water was down almost a foot from Monday, moving fairly well, and clear; surface temp was 50ºF on the nose. Breeze was light, coming from down river. Milton, one of the regulars was already plying the river above the RR bridge. A nice day to take casting practice, and talk with a fellow shad-a-holic. laugh But, no fish today. C'est la vive, c'est la guerre.

Terminal tackle: 3/5 oz drail over 2' leader (8# flouro), and a silver willow yellow/red & black dot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1675280 - 03/31/16 09:11 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I've been out twice since my last post, and had nothing to report except rumors of shad. And then there was today.

I fished up above the RR bridge behind Bart's from about 11:am to 1:15pm. The water was only up a little from my last post, it was clear, and moving pretty good. The day was warm, and the breeze wasn't bad, unlike in the parking lot where it was blustery. About 20 mins after my first cast, I C&R a dinky little buck, hardly over a pound. I had a decent hit a little while later but after a few cranks, and a couple of head shakes, it was gone. About noon time I had a solid hook up, making the drag sing a little, and stripping some line on 3 or 4 runs. He put up a decent fight with a lot of head shaking, and some acrobatics for good measure. He was also C&R, and ran almost 3 lbs. Life is good!

A couple of other regulars joined me before I had to skate on out of there. Gary got nada, and ? (I can't remember his name) also landed 2 decent bucks on his lunch break.

I went back for about 45 mins mid-afternoon, after my appointment but struck out. Radio got nothing, and Steve (regular) managed one before I got there.

Terminal tackle: 3/8 oz drail over a 2-1/2', 8# flouro leader, and a small hammered silver willow painted green/white with a black dot.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1675324 - 04/01/16 12:14 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
Way to go congrats on getting one

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
#1675779 - 04/05/16 07:35 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
DNK2013 Offline

Great news but hope this weather didnt mess anything up to bad.
#1676061 - 04/07/16 06:57 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Unfortunately, the weather is a factor, and looks like it will continue to be through the next week. I went out behind Bart's yesterday between 3 and 4:30 pm. I saw two working the boat ramp, and there were two working the shore upstream of the RR bridge when I arrived. Nobody had fish. By the time I left, there were ten of us on the bank above the RR bridge, and one of the five kids in the group landed a 3# buck, the only fish I saw. One of the regulars told me they had been hammering the shad just the day before from about noon to 3-ish. Story of my life...

Terminal tackle: 3/8 oz drail over a 2-1/2' of 8# flouro leader, and a green/white hammered silver willow.

Tight lines...

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1676094 - 04/08/16 07:39 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
Is anyone seeing boats going out from the Bart's launch onto the lower Farmington for shad? I would appreciate updates. Am impatiently waiting for a warm non-rainy day to head to Portland to my cousin's house on Great Hill Pond. There in the yard is his Starcraft SF14 that I will make a test run on the pond with then bring home and set up for shad river fishing. Last year's shad boat now in the Shenipsit Lake boatyard for the season. Was supposed to get this done by now but weather did not cooperate. Need to find the guy with the fish thru his head for willow leaves....
#1676101 - 04/08/16 09:08 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
E-man Offline

Water temps almost there. I will be fishing the area hard soon. Next warm-up will get the run going good.
#1676444 - 04/10/16 10:29 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: cat_in_the_hat]
hornhunter Offline

I hit Barts today after a very slow morning of trout fishing on the Scantic.There were no boats or trailers to be seen on the Farmy except for a kayaker trolling at around 3:00 pm.
Jerry was at the parking lot and there were a total of ten of us fishing for shad but no action while I was there.
I was told a few were caught yesterday with the river being a foot higher and muddy,today was much clearer.
This coming week should really pickup with the warmer forecast.
#1676454 - 04/11/16 07:27 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I spent a couple of hours behind Bart's yesterday afternoon between about 3:30-5:45 PM. A couple of boats came and went, and they had a few reports of catching shad down by the mouth. Of the 1/2 dozen or so bank fisherman, nobody had caught anything earlier in the day, and none of us caught anything while I was there.

The water was up about a foot from my last trip, mostly clear but the flow was slow; surface temp was about 48 degrees. I threw a green/white hammered silver willow, I saw others tossing orange or pink willows. No hits, strikes or interest for anybody.

Terminal tackle: 3/8 oz drail over 2-1/2' 8# flouro leader, and the aforementioned willow.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1677076 - 04/15/16 09:50 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I went out after work this afternoon. I fished behind Bart's from 4:30-6, and then headed to Bissell until 7PM.

At Bart's the water was a little higher than it was the other day, clear but not moving well. I saw all of one shad caught at the boat ramp. A couple of the regulars said they had caught 2 early in the afternoon before I got there.

At Bissell there were 2 shad in a bucket, a decent buck and a middlin' roe. Both had been caught an hour or more before I got there.

Terminal tackle:
At Bart's: 3/8 oz drail over 3'flouro leader, hammered silver w/green, white & black dot, hammered copper w/chartreuse & orange dot.

At Bissell: 3/4 oz drail over 5-1/2' flouro leader, hammered silver w/red, white & black dot.

All I got at both locales was skunk, casting practice, and reports of scattered shad caught over the last few days, so the action is still slow. With the warming temps, I'm hoping the action improves over the weekend. We'll see...

Hoping to head out for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon, and maybe, too, on Sunday morning. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1677095 - 04/16/16 07:44 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Would appreciate a Bart's boat launch parking lot assessment Saturday-Sunday, planning on a Monday morning maiden voyage of my newly acquired 2001 Starcraft SF14 to assess the trolling for shad situation, i.e. would the trailer parking slots be full at 8-9AM at this time?
#1677139 - 04/16/16 02:28 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: cat_in_the_hat]
Daddy Pickle Offline

Go big or go home

Loc: Windsor Locks
Originally Posted By: cat_in_the_hat
Would appreciate a Bart's boat launch parking lot assessment Saturday-Sunday, planning on a Monday morning maiden voyage of my newly acquired 2001 Starcraft SF14 to assess the trolling for shad situation, i.e. would the trailer parking slots be full at 8-9AM at this time?

only saw 1 trailer the other day

Im allergic to land, get me on the water <")))><
My CTF Profile
#1677177 - 04/16/16 08:50 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I went out this afternoon from 4-6:30 pm at Bissell. A handful of regulars were there, half fishing and half waiting for a shad to make an appearance. Nobody had any success.

About 5:pm I had a solid hook up, it felt like a smallish shad but fought well in the CT River current. It actually hit fairly close to shore, as I had fumbled, and made a lousy short cast. Once it started getting to shallow water, it put its head down and made a couple of nice runs. Alas, as I turned its head for the last time, it rolled and turned away in shallow water giving me a nice look at it, and the weight came sailing past my head. It must have wound the leader around a chunk of rock when it turned, what was left of the leader was split and frayed, and about 18" shorter... It was the only shad that bit while I was there. When I left at 6:30, nobody had so much as a bump. They're still very scattered.

Water surface temp was 51* but I'm sure it is a few degrees colder at depth. The water at Bissell had fallen about 8" from yesterday, the current was flowing good, and the water was clear. Wind came straight down the river from Windsor, it was chilly on the bank, while it was nice and warm in the parking lot by contrast.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 5' flouro leader; I tried bright willows: hammered silver w/orange and black dot, hammered silver w/chartreuse and black dot, hammered silver w/blue/white, had the hook set on plain silver w/yellow, orange, and an "eye" spot.

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1677275 - 04/17/16 08:16 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I went down to Bissell late this afternoon, from about 4:pm-7:30pm. There was a decent crowd of regulars working the bank, and they had a few shad on the stringer. Nice...

I wound up with three solid hook sets, landing two, with one escapee in between. The two landed were middlin' roes, about 3#+. A few bumps, misses, and two other shad were landed by others before I left. It looks like this warmer weather is heating up the action. I expect tomorrow will be even better ahead of the front that should move through Monday night into Tuesday. Hits and caught fish were scattered throughout the time I was there, I never saw two being played at the same time or even hooked one after another. Action was sporadic but steady enough by contrast to the last couple of weeks.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over a short (for me) 2-1/2 foot flouro leader, willow was hammered silver with blue paint, flecked with sparkly stuff for good measure & black dot.

I will be out tomorrow after work for sure. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1677277 - 04/17/16 08:25 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Paul D. Offline

Lifetime Member

Loc: South Central, CT
Good stuff, keep the reports coming.

Boat Ho in the Know

Team DILLIGAF

#1677347 - 04/18/16 12:24 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Sweetchuck Offline

Nice job congrats on getting a few fish and getting out on great day.

#1677409 - 04/18/16 08:34 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

After work this afternoon I stopped at Bissell, and fished from 4:30 pm to 6:pm. I met a buddy who's never fished for shad before, he wanted to give it a try. On arrival there were about 8 or 9 regulars plying the bank, and one was landing a shad. There were a couple on the bank, and as we started casting, another shad was landed. The wind was mostly calm, I didn't notice it initially, water was clear and moving well.

Pretty quickly I hooked up, and fought a nice middlin' buck (?) to my feet, where he promptly spit the leaf at me. Shad 1: me 0. My buddy set the hook, and landed a nice middlin' buck, ~2#. We observed more shad landed by others. He hooked up again, and landed a nice little buck, a little bigger than his first. Not bad for his first time out, he released both, and he only lost a couple of leaves, and one drail.

About 5:pm or maybe a little after, I noticed the wind shifting, coming around from the South, straight up from Hartford, and building. It freshened to make the water very choppy, and cooled things off on the bank. By 5:30 the bite had basically shut off, and by 6:pm, after watching no more shad caught or so much as a bump, I headed for home. It was fun while it lasted. I think I'll give tomorrow a pass, due to the questionable weather, and a neglected "honey-do" list.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1677472 - 04/19/16 12:08 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
E-man Offline

Shocked how low it was yesterday. Water levels this weekend will make any fishing in lower farmy tough. That late day sea breeze sure came quick.
#1677718 - 04/21/16 10:19 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Late report:

Wednesday after work, 4:30 - 6:30. Arrived at Bissell to a full bank of regulars. Shad on the bank, and being played. Lots of action! And fairly steady, with a few doubles for good measure. I saw over a dozen and I wasn't counting. I, of course, only caught one, a decent buck. It looks like they're getting bigger. Water is down below the third cleat on the ramp, and dropping 6-8" per day, it's getting low.

Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail, over 2-1/2' Flouro leader, blue/white, chartreuse, and orange hammered silver willows.

Going out after work again today. Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (04/21/16 10:39 AM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1677731 - 04/21/16 11:22 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Came down with cold, did not make it to the Farmy Monday as planned. With the report of low Farmy water, that is an issue, last year hit snags on the way downriver from and to Bart's. It may be too risky to launch from Bart's. Will launch from South Windsor town boat launch down unpaved Vibert Road past the South Windsor water treatment plant, boat ramp into the water is paved and inset from the river currents, easier than Bissell launch. This way can stay in sufficiently deep water, just need to be a bit careful coming around the north side of the island to the Farmy mouth.
#1677806 - 04/21/16 11:05 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I went over to Bissell after work today, arrived a little before 4:30 pm. The wind was blowing up from Hartford, the water was choppy, muddy, and full of junk. Since there was nothing happening there, I left for Bart's after about a 1/2 hour or so. At least I dragged up a 3/4 oz drail attached to willow leaf before I left. :-/

At Bart's, the water was as low as I've seen it this year but it was clear, and the current was flowing enough to pique my interest. And there was very little breeze. I headed upstream of the RR bridge, and put my arm in a cast. About a dozen casts in, I had a light hit, and thought I had an alewife. It turned out to be a little bronzeback bass, almost a foot long. He didn't put up much fight until the water started to get shallow, then he put a 90º bend in the Aberdeen shaft of the willow leaf sticking out of the corner of his mouth. It was enough to keep the skunk off me before I left about 6:15 pm. My neophyte buddy can't come shad fishing with me anymore, he's making me look bad. :p He hooked three at Bart's, lost two but landed a good one. Nobody else in the thin group caught anything, the action was slow today.

Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail (should have switched to 3/8 oz at Bart's), over 3' flouro leader, and a hammered silver w/orange and a black dot.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1677938 - 04/22/16 10:10 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Scott65 Offline

Loc: Plantsville
I was also at Bart's with my girlfriend Thursday evening between 5:30-7pm , I snagged a sucker on my first cast, lost a herring at my feet and was able to land one nice shad before We left. As George stated the water is pretty low. One of the boats that came flying by upstream up on plane later return downstream on its tolling motor with a broken prop, the guy told me he hit a log upstream.

Edited by Scott65 (04/22/16 10:18 PM)
#1677954 - 04/23/16 06:46 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
TimP Offline

Loc: east windsor
I hate when people fly in the farmy, there should be better manners, just saying. karma, nice fish

Its not called catching its called fishing!
#1678148 - 04/25/16 08:26 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

[Edit: A late report, Sunday, 24.April]
I fished at Bissell from 1-5:pm. The usual suspects were working the water, which was up a little from last week. The water was clear and quick. Breeze varied between N-NW,and really wasn't a factor, unlike last week when it ripped up from Hartford.

Shad were scattered but a small school would come through ever so often, and provide a little action. I had a hit and miss but managed my vitamin shad (one-a-day) a small buck before 5.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 4'Flouro leader, and a bunch of different willows. Chartreuse produced for me in the end.

Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (04/25/16 09:19 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1678258 - 04/25/16 09:35 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I headed over to Bissell this afternoon after work, arriving about 4:30, and leaving a little after 6:pm. On arrival, the water was down over a foot from yesterday, clear but the flow was noticeably slower-not slack or languid but enough so that I changed from a 3/4 oz drail to 5/8 oz. Plenty of characters were plying their trade on the bank, as usual. I didn't notice any shad on the bank when I arrived but it didn't take long before somebody set a hook. By the time I left, a few shad had been hooked: some caught, and a couple lost after a leap or at the feet. Nothing to write home about...

I had a couple of bumps but only came away without the skunk by C & R of 3 alewives. I've only seen one caught, and that was last week; it looks like they may be starting their run.

Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail over 4' of flouro leader, willow color didn't seem to matter tonight-except the alewives seemed to prefer the brighter "neon" colors.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1678275 - 04/26/16 12:28 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
carlynewlondon Offline

Loc: Home: Burlington, Boat: New Lo...
How long a leader do you use and what weight floro?
#1678435 - 04/26/16 10:13 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Hi carlynewlondon,

If you're asking me about terminal tackle, I use as long a leader as I can get away with for the conditions. Typically between 3'-4' but shorter if my back-cast or high winds require it.

For leader material, I prefer flouro but most others use generic mono (Cabela's, et c.) or premium mono (Ande, et c.). I like the abrasion resistance of a decent flouro, and use 8# flouro as a leader.

However I'm using U/L equipment, a Penn 4200 ss reel on an Ugly Stik one-piece rod. I prefer a braided line on that little spool on this set up for these reasons, 1) NO LINE MEMORY (it casts like a dream), and 2) abrasion resistance. Back in the day, when I used mono on the spool, I'd HAVE to re-spool at least once each outing. And that was time off the water, and not casting or catching, and, worse, it got expensive due to a lot of lost terminal rigs (and mono). Now, I occasionally put on a short top-shot of fresh braid, here and there, when conditions are rough on the terminal end. I may reverse the line on the spool perhaps once a year, and after a couple of years, I'll re-spool--pretty economical by contrast!

Hope this helps, and if you do make the trip--tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1678545 - 04/27/16 08:44 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Stopped by Bissell today after work about 4:30 pm. Warm, with a very slight breeze off the ramp at our backs, and less than a dozen folx casting, with almost as many jawing in the parking lot or at the picnic table. Water was only a little higher than yesterday, maybe 6" if that, clear with a nice current. I did see some cotton-like drift on the water, which seems early for that stuff--especially as the cottonwoods haven't even leafed out yet.

On my 4th or 5th cast I hooked a small buck. I got him close enough to get a good look at him but he rolled and spit the leaf, and that was it for me today. By 5:pm the wind had shifted to the South blowing cold up from Hartford. The water turned choppy, and muddy. The bite was off by 5:15 or so when one of the regulars C & R a small bronze-back. Before the wind came up, I saw three shad landed, including a nice roe, and a couple of more were lost before landing. I headed for home at 6.

Terminal tackle: I started with 1/2 oz drail over 4' of 8# flouro, and a hammered pink willow w/black dot, this produced the short lived fight with the little buck shad.

After the wind turned, and freshened, I switched to 3/4 oz drail, and had to shorten the leader to about 3', as the wind was playing havoc with the longer length; also changed to a hammered silver red/yellow w/black dot but with the wind blowing up from Hartford, it was all for naught.

I'll try it again tomorrow afternoon. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1678724 - 04/29/16 12:48 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I arrived at Bissell about 4:30 pm today (28.April), and it wasn't looking good, as the wind was already blowing up, and cold, from Hartford. There were no shad on the bank from what I could see. A few regulars were working the river but with the wind, it wasn't panning out. I made a couple of forlorn casts as I waited for a friend to arrive, and it just wasn't worth the effort in the cold wind, and chop. As soon as he showed up about 4:45, we headed over to Bart's.

At Bart's we headed up above the RR bridge. The water was as low as we've seen it, thus far, this year, and we were alone on the bank. The bridge's footings were exposed but the water was clear, clean, and flowing fairly well. Less than a dozen casts in, I C & R a large, fat blue back herring, for what I thought would keep the skunk off. It was the first blue back I've seen this year, and I wasn't expecting, even, this fish. A few folx joined us, off and, on but the action was slow. My buddy played, and lost a couple over the next few hours, including one that looked like a roe. (He needs to work on his knots, that's all I'm saying...)
I had three good takes: a couple of head-shakes, and gone; a couple of runs in the current, and gone..and I finally got one in the net. A middlin' buck, ~3# sometime after 6:30 pm, C & R after a Kodak moment. I had to beat feet for a couple of items on my "Honey-do" list before 8 O'clock, and headed out ~7:15 pm.

Terminal tackle:
At Bissell: 3/4 oz drail over 3' flouro leader, and a hammered silver willow, red/yellow w/black dot, and the wind played havoc with casts.
At Bart's: 3/8 oz drail over 3' flouro leader; started with the same willow (as at Bissell) but switched to hammered silver, chartreuse w/black dot. Chartreuse had the most hits, and the score.

Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (04/29/16 12:49 AM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1678818 - 04/29/16 05:05 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Made maiden voyage in the new boat, skunked but explored a lot, Bissel good bet for shoreline fishing, saw a few caught, better in a boat 300 yards downstream from landing 100 feet from shore in 10 feet of water using 3-ways and set poles. 2 guys so situated had five shad when I floated by. Will post more in my own thread, Farmington unfishable by boat, water dangerously low for motors.
#1678921 - 04/30/16 09:46 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Made the trip over to Bissell from about 2:30-5:30 pm. The water was WAY down from yesterday, and turbid. At least it was warm, and virtually windless down there. There were about a dozen people around but not all were fishing at the same time. A little while after I started fishing, a small buck was landed but it remained pretty quiet, and it was a while before another solitary shad was landed. About 4:pm the wind changed, and swung around to blow from Hartford. It got cold, the water became choppy, even more muddied, and a lot more debris drifted by. I wound up with the skunk today, and didn't see more than about 6 shad landed in the entire time I was there. At least 2 were nice big 4#+ roes, one came in before 5:pm, while the other came by a little after 5.

As boats came in off the water, their reports were consistent, lousy fishing today. Especially from 4:pm on, after the wind came up. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1679039 - 05/01/16 04:53 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I didn't think I would get out today but Sgt. SWMBO was a little under the weather, and cancelled plans for the day. In spite of the damp, raw day I headed over to Bissell to put my arm in a cast for a couple of hours, arriving at 1:30 pm. There weren't many folx out, a few on the bank casting, and a few more jawing in the parking lot. Somebody had a couple meat poles, dead-sticking in the corner but I saw no action on them while I was down there.

The water was down a little more, even from yesterday, turbid, slow flowing but there wasn't much debris floating around. The wind was squirrel-y, mostly out of the South but flipping around from the West, and North at intervals. Action was slow, all around. One of the regulars managed 3 shad (and lost another) by the time I left a little after 4:pm, and I had C & R one middlin' buck, and a half dozen alewives.

Eventually the wind settled in from the South, and steadied, cold, and very raw. It didn't really rain, as much as drizzle on and off until after 3:30 when it became more pervasive, more steady. By then, I was feeling the cold creep into my layers. And in spite of the weather, I still enjoyed being out on the river. Life is good.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1679669 - 05/05/16 09:42 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I went out to Bissell yesterday afternoon, 4.May: The water was up a couple of feet from my last trip (1.May) but still below the last cleat on the ramp; clear, flowing, and a little choppy owing to a stiff breeze out of the NW-NNW. It remained heavily overcast, with occasional passing showers. On arrival, about 4:30 pm there was one small shad in a bucket on the bank, and less than a dozen regulars between the parking lot and on the water combined. I warmed up with a few alewives, all C & R, and finally landed one middlin' buck ~3#, and promptly released him after a Kodak Moment ™. It was enough to keep the skunk off. By the time I left a little after 6:pm, there were a half dozen shad on the bank.

Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail, over ~3' of 8# flouro, and hammered silver willows in red/white w/black dot, orange w/black dot, and the shad'y orange/yellow/white w/eye spot on which I got my vitamin shad.

This afternoon after work, I arrived at Bissell to similar conditions of wind, weather and water. The water was up to the last cleat today, and the wind was blowing more fresh than yesterday but still cold and blowing out of the NW-NNW. At least it didn't rain or drizzle. There were only three people on the bank when I arrived about 4:30 pm, and only one in the parking lot. A half dozen casts into it, I C & R an alewife to warm up. Before 5:pm, I landed ~ 4# roe, which I kept for my table. It was almost 6:pm when I C & R a middlin' buck that might have weighed all of 3#, maybe a couple of ounces over if I thumbed the scale... As I left about 6:15 pm, I saw one small buck shad being landed, and except for one other alewife, there wasn't much catching today.

Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail, over 4' of 8# flouro, and hammered silver orange/yellow/white w/eye spot (got the roe on it before I lost the leaf), and red/white w/black spot.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1680128 - 05/09/16 09:05 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Arrived at Bissell about 4:30 pm,and a handful of regulars were working the water, mostly on the right of the ramp. The water was clear, flowing well, and down almost 18" from from Friday. And nice, sunny and warm for a change. The breeze was mild with a few gusts, out of the West.

On my third cast, I got a solid hook set off the end of the ramp, and landed a middlin buck, maybe 3#. By 5:30 pm, I had missed on a nice bump, hooked up to another middlin buck but lost him right at my feet, and C & R a couple of alewives. By 6:pm I managed to get another middlin buck, my last for the night, except for a couple of more alewives.

Things were picking up about then, and others started fighting shad, and a few alewives for good measure. A half dozen or 8 more shad were landed before I left about 7:15 pm.

Terminal tackle: 5/8 oz drail, over 3' Flouro leader, and a hammered silver leaf, red/white w/black dot.

Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (05/09/16 09:05 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1680375 - 05/11/16 10:38 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I met a couple of friends at Bissel after work, and fished from about 4:30 -7:15 pm. There were about 20 folx, mostly regulars, plying the water tonight. The water was down almost 2' from Monday, and clear. There was virtually no breeze until just before 5:pm when it turned around to come up from Hartford out of the South. It freshened, and cooled us off a little but not bad enough to get cold, stir up and muddy the water or set up a chop.

Alewives were pretty much the order of the day, outnumbering the shad by more than 2-1. And initially they kept the skunk off, and provided most of the entertainment between shad. It was the most alewives I've seen caught at a time, as yet, this year. Shad were caught but remained scattered through the day, most were smaller bucks but one nice fat roe was landed, too. I fought one small buck but lost it as it spit the hook before I could get more than a quick look at its tail but by 6:pm I had netted another.

Terminal tackle: 1/2 oz drail over 3 1/2' flouro leader, hammered silver w/red & white, black dot, and hammered silver w/orange/yellow/white, black dot. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1680429 - 05/12/16 12:50 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Sweetchuck Offline

I was there as well but I went down stream a little from the launch and was wading. I ended up catching and releasing 8 Alewives and 3 shad. Had a few more hits but could not connect. I used 5/8 drail over 3 foot leader. Colors I lost track of what I was throwing and catching them on.

I did have some of my striper gear with me and contimplated throwing top water or some soft plastics but did not. With all the bait in the river the stripers have to be around!

#1680752 - 05/15/16 08:45 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I stopped by Bissell this afternoon from about 3-5:15 pm. It was COLD, a blustery wind out of the West, and overcast. Fortunately the water was clear, flowing, and relatively debris free but it was VERY low. There were about 8 regulars already plying their trade but no shad on the bank but they did admit to a few scattered shad having been caught throughout the afternoon.

About 15 minutes after I arrived, one of the regulars C & R a nice buck, which gave him a decent fight for it's smallish size. Right after he released it, I had a solid hit, and at first I thought I had snagged bottom. And then it started to pull, and go deep. It kept it's head down, and as soon as I turned him, he put his head down again, and took more line. He made me earn him but eventually I got him in for a picture, and release. My vitamin shad for the day, as I didn't have another hit. One of the other regulars C & R a buck about the time I was taking the picture. They were all middlin' bucks, thick, and bout 3#+. About a half hour or so later, a really nice roe (~4#) was landed but except for a couple of alewives, dinky tiny, little striper (I've caught bigger alewives), and a fat white perch, that was it for the day.

Terminal tackle: 1/2 oz drail, over 3' flouro leader, and hammered silver willow in white/yellow/orange w/black dot.

Tight lines!

Edited by No Fish Today (05/15/16 08:48 PM)

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1681267 - 05/19/16 08:54 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

Monday, 16th.May:
I stopped by Bissell for a couple of hours from about 3:30-5:30. The water was way down on the ramp, the lowest I've seen it this year. The usual suspects were working the water, and there was a shad on the bank. The action was slow and scattered, alewives outnumbered the shad by a slim margin, I only saw 6 or 7 shad caught. All I caught were alewives to keep the skunk off. Meh. :-/

Terminal tackle: 1/2 oz drail over 2' flouro leader, and hammered silver willow in a variety of flourescent colors. The smaller #1 leaves seemed to get more hits than #2 or #3 leaves.

After work today I stopped at Bissell from 4:30-7:15 pm. The water was back up, almost to the last cleat, clear and flowing well. The regulars had a couple shad on the bank, and 2 of them hooked up at the same time shortly after I arrived. Once again, the shad were scattered, as were the alewives. By the time I left, 8 or 9 shad had been caught, and maybe a dozen alewives. Once again, all I caught was alewives.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 4' of flour leader, and hammered silver, gold or copper willows in bright colors. Yeah, I emptied my tackle box...

Ah well, maybe tomorrow. Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1681463 - 05/21/16 10:15 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I stopped by Bissell from about 5:30-8:15 pm. The water was down about a foot from Thursday, and clear. The breeze, such as it was, was very light out of the south, and it remained very comfortable until about 7:pm when it started to cool off.

There were a bunch of regulars but no shad on the bank. I had a nice hit on my third cast but it didn't stick, and I didn't catch anything until after 6:pm, a white perch. Other than a couple of bumps, and a head shake, that was all she wrote, for me. By the time I left, three shad had been landed, including a nice 4# roe. Alewives were few and far between today, too.

Terminal tackle: 3/4 oz drail over 4' flouro leader, and I emptied the tackle box of willows again: hammered silver, gold or copper in all the skittles colors.

Tight lines!

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
#1710548 - 03/30/17 09:52 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
Scott65 Offline

Loc: Plantsville
George?
#1710554 - 03/31/17 01:40 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

George?
#1710670 - 04/01/17 05:56 AM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
StarkC69 Offline

SABOD

Loc: Hampden, MA
George?

Team Stark Stronger
Team Three Belles
Team Masshole
FUKINNAUTICALSICKCRAZYMOTHERBADASS

#1710734 - 04/01/17 11:00 PM Re: Shad! 2016 Edition [Re: No Fish Today]
No Fish Today Offline

I'm not dead, yet. ROTFLMFAO!

And I'm champing at the bit for shad. I'm afraid we'll be catching trout before shad this year. Which reminds me that I need to get my licenses in order, tout suite.

Either way, TIGHT LINES! YMMV, and invariably will...

George Darrell ...

I support "PETA",
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics