ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1698429 - 11/04/16 07:27 AM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
turner Offline

Thanks for the info guys. I hate wearing gloves when fishing and hardly ever do but gonna try to make myself from now on when it's cold out
Fishing Info
#1698435 - 11/04/16 08:09 AM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
You can also try wearing high dexterity gloves underneath fingerless gloves.

The proper make/model and sized fit dexterity glove feels like you aren't wearing any glove at all, so you can 100% tie line with them as if you were bare handed. Fingerless gloves (bought or made with a pair of scissors cutting the glove tip just below the 1st fingertip joint and leaving the rest of the gloves finger to keep you warm) will keep most of your hand warm and will radiate heat out of the cut off glove finger tips and keep the fingertips warm.

As said, those cheap disposable hand warmers are awesome and last 8-10 hours and cost about $10 (retail, and get better prices online) for a pack of 20 (10 pairs).

Good luck
#1698438 - 11/04/16 08:15 AM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
O-BASS Offline

turner, i will say that all the winter striper and smallmouth fishing ive done, feeling the bite with gloves is not really a problem. its more the encumberance of the glove itself, and the mental aspect of it. the poor grip on the rod sometimes leaves me feeling like a fish wont bite, and then while my confidence is down, well, of course im not gonna get bit.

one day i did. it made zero difference that i had thick woll mittens on. made sure my grip was solid, and i felt the tick on a swimbait perfectly. find something with a good grip in the palm. might be a good idea to start using the thinner weight ones now. i remember when tony mel and stingray started using fishing gloves. there hands smell worse than the devils anus after all those fish, but they have no problem fishing with them smile1
#1698468 - 11/04/16 11:01 AM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
jaybirdfishing Offline

Loc: Rocky Hill, CT
I got a pair of ice fishing neoprene gloves from Bass Pro shop. They are not water proof but do just enough to keep your hands warmer. The tips of one finger and the thumb have the ability to pull down so you can use your finger and thumb while still having the gloves on. They were cheap and get the job done.
#1698763 - 11/07/16 11:12 AM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
RichZ Offline

Geezer

Loc: CT
I fish all winter, and have tried everything.

Fingerless gloves make my fingers feel even colder.

Most gloves interfere with my ability to cast light spinning gear.

Specialized fishing gloves made for steelheading work great -- until they leak. Stripers have a lot of sharp corners and points on them. Handle a lot of them, and any gloves relying on a thin membrane for their waterproof attribute will get poked through sooner or later. Then they are horrible. And they are expensive.

I put on the heaviest gloves I own when running the boat.

When actually fishing, I go with cheap cotton glove liners, and hand warmers in place. I carry about a dozen pairs of glove liners and change when wet.

Edited by RichZ (11/07/16 11:14 AM)

RichZ

Everybody's got to believe something — I believe I'll go fishing.

Check out my Bass Blog.
#1698769 - 11/07/16 11:58 AM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
BaldPelican Offline

Loc: Wallingford, CT
I have always had hands that can sometimes react strangely to the cold especially when damp (Raynaud's). What I arrived at as the best solution for cold fishing or ice fishing for me is to have a quarterback hand warmer muff around my waist that has has two single use chemical heat packs inside and two spares in an outside zipper pocket. That way I can fish barehanded and bring my hands back from the dead occasionally or use a pair of fingerless wool gloves that either have the velcroed flap to convert to a mitten or not and also pull them off frequently as needed. I sometimes bring a good pair of icefishing mittens that I use for driving the boat, walking in with an icefishing sled or waiting for bites if tip-up or live bait fishing.

Baldpelican

#1699235 - 11/11/16 01:39 PM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
SoundsFishy Offline

Got Milt?

Loc: Bpt CT
OJ lent me a pair back in the mid 90's. They fit great

In Bombings, we blame the Bomber. In Drunk Driving deaths we blame the Driver. In Shootings we Blame the Gun ?? wtf
#1699255 - 11/11/16 03:06 PM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
I concur with Bald Pelican on the front muff with heat packs.....just have a towel handy to dry your hands before you put your hands inside the nice-N-toasty muff.
#1699303 - 11/11/16 10:02 PM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
SoundsFishy Offline

Got Milt?

Loc: Bpt CT
Don always has a handy towel. The towel turns stiff after a day or two

Edited by SoundsFishy (11/11/16 10:03 PM)

In Bombings, we blame the Bomber. In Drunk Driving deaths we blame the Driver. In Shootings we Blame the Gun ?? wtf
#1699306 - 11/11/16 10:21 PM Re: What gloves do you use? [Re: turner]
Waterclam Offline

Loc: Black Hall River
Ha ha ha !!!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics