ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1698540 - 11/04/16 08:09 PM Stocking pheasants for dog training????
Dave Sheridan Offline

Early this spring we bought a Pudelpointer for hunting. My plan was to purchase some pheasants for training purposes.

However, I called the wildlife division and they told me it was not legal to stock your own pheasants on any land that the state stocks on (whether it be club leased land that the state stocks or state land that the state stocks).

But, I can not find it in writing anywhere and in talking to other people, they have stated they have spoke to a DEEP officer who told them it was legal to stock on above mentioned land.

Could you provide a definite answer to this and if it is illegal point me in the direction where i can find it in writing?

Thanks!
Fishing Info
#1698542 - 11/04/16 08:38 PM Re: Stocking pheasants for dog training???? [Re: Dave Sheridan]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Congrats on the new hunting pup...exciting times!

Another option is Quail with a remote controlled Quail launcher. Did that for the 1st time this past Monday. It was a hoot.

Place the loaded hidden Quail launcher in some brush. Put the training dog on a long leash and walk the general area of the Quail and launcher. When the dog finds and points the quail in the launcher choke up on the dog leash, get right against the dog and prep his/her pointer form...set how you want the tail positioned, how you want the legs and head positioned,etc....then hit the remote to launch the Quail, shoot the Quail and let the dog retrieve the Quail. Celebrate the dog's accomplishment, give the dog a treat and a lot of praise.....reload and reposition the Quail launcher and repeat.

Enjoy the new pup!

Video: Remote Controlled Quail Launcher

#1699091 - 11/10/16 10:54 AM Re: Stocking pheasants for dog training???? [Re: Dave Sheridan]
danny k Offline

The Good Life

Loc: Port Huron Michigan
I asked deep at the western headquarters in harwington way back if I could stock some pheasants in roaraback wma for training and they said yes. As long as I dont mind others shooting them. roaraback doesnt get stocked by the state although some used to creep in through harwington F&G stockings on delay rd but the land was sold for a golf course. I purchased 10 birds at the time from a guy who raised privately in torrington for around $12.00 a bird. Worked out well. Never had an issue as long as I asked, Give them a call at the HQ in harwington and see what they say.

Edited by danny k (11/10/16 11:00 AM)

St. Clair River. Port Huron, MI.
#1 Prolific Fishery in North America Bar None!
#1699166 - 11/10/16 09:38 PM Re: Stocking pheasants for dog training???? [Re: danny k]
Wild Thing Offline

Roaraback is stock with phesants.
#1699386 - 11/13/16 10:18 AM Re: Stocking pheasants for dog training???? [Re: Dave Sheridan]
Dave Sheridan Offline

I'll try to call this week and ask them where it is in writing. I've heard people say that DEEP officers have told them they could put pheasants anywhere. But when I called the wildlife division they told me I could only stock on private or club land that the state does not stock. I don't see it in writing anywhere.
#1699714 - 11/15/16 07:40 PM Re: Stocking pheasants for dog training???? [Re: Dave Sheridan]
EnCon Police Offline

I talked with wildlife today regarding this issue. Technically under CGS 26-66-6 you need a liberation permit from the wildlife division to stock pheasants even if you purchase the birds in state. With said permit you could "stock" your birds on state land that is stocked by the state however once you stock them they are up for grabs by any legal hunter in the area and you would still only be allowed your daily limit of 2 birds. 26-66-6 is rather lengthy but towards the end you will see #(21) "Wild animal" means any bird, mammal, reptile, amphibian, or invertebrate that is, or historically has been found, in the wild or in the wild state, and that is not otherwise a domestic animal; this covers the pheasant aspect of it even though you are buying pen raised birds, you are releasing them into the wild therefore the "wild state" reference. Hope this helps.
#1699721 - 11/15/16 08:38 PM Re: Stocking pheasants for dog training???? [Re: Dave Sheridan]
SunganaBeach Offline
's&[ng]-�-n& 'bEch

You need to talk to the guy who posted this thread: http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/ub...rea#Post1698517

I don't understand why this information is a "secret" in this state?! What you need is called a Private Regulated Dog Training Area. We have one at EGFG, but it is only for members and their guests. If you have a friend at EGFG, he can take you there.

According to our permit, we can stock game birds including pheasant, partridge and quail. You can train your dog with these birds and shoot them 7 days a week. We have special tags for the birds too.

Check with the guy who posted about his dog training area. I'll bet he has the same permit.

Sungana Beach CH.68
#1699794 - 11/16/16 04:50 PM Re: Stocking pheasants for dog training???? [Re: Dave Sheridan]
Dave Sheridan Offline

Thanks for the response Capt. Williams. But, one thing the wildlife division did say when I talked to them is that they no longer require the liberation permit. But I could look into that as well. Thanks again.

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics