ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1702686 - 12/21/16 03:14 PM Bow hunting certification classes
The Fish Man Offline

Loc: CT
I am curious when the next bow hunting certification classes will be. The website says none are currently scheduled. They also fill up as soon as announced, it seems. If it is mandated to have this certificate to bow hunt, then there should be ample opportunity to fulfill the requirement. Any information on tips to monitor when these classes are offered would be greatly appreciated.

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.
Fishing Info
#1702718 - 12/21/16 06:53 PM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: The Fish Man]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
"Any info / Tips"........if you can't hit one with a gun, why do you think you'll be able to hit one with an arrow???!!!
#1702740 - 12/21/16 08:22 PM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: The Fish Man]
EnCon Police Offline

Most if not all Bow Hunting instructors are probably in the field this time of year. I would think that after the hunting season is over classes will start up again.
#1702769 - 12/22/16 08:34 AM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: The Fish Man]
Tieg Offline

Loc: SE CT
I got mine at Andover Archery in Andover. Father/Son team as instructors. They hold their's outdoors which is nice so obviously in the summer time. I ended up emailing him and he said he was going to post some classes and that's when I was checking about twice a day. After 3 days viola one was there.

Andover Archery website

"I think of this war as it really is, not as the people at home imagine, with a hoorah! and a roar. It is very serious, very grim…"
Manfred von Richthofen (aka The Red Baron)
#1702805 - 12/22/16 10:56 AM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: Tieg]
BLUECHIP Offline

Loc: Old Lyme
Originally Posted By: Tieg

WE will start scheduling classes in March 2017 that should start in April. Spring classes are limited to 30 students. Andover Archery reserves several spots for their own patrons. Other spots are open to any individual to who registers on the DEEP web site earlier enough to reserve a spot.

We do have an early notification list you can get onto simply by being an Andover Archery patron.

Andover Archery feels a responsibility to our customers to provide this service on a frequent basic. We typically schedule 8 to 10 classes each year starting in the late winter and ending in the late fall. Far more than any other archery equipment provider in Connecticut. We challenge other stores who sell archery equipment to fulfill their responsibility. Mark Hall has given more than 160 classes or 1800 volunteer hours of instruction to date.

Andover Archery provides free bow hunter education classes. Class starts promptly at 8:00 a.m. and will end approximately 4:00 p.m. You should arrive 15 minutes early to complete your final registration. Don't bother showing up late. The first half hour of the class is one of the most important portions of the program. If you are unable to be here on time we would advise you to call and reschedule for the next class we offer. To register you can either call us at 860-742-4279 or email us at andoverarchery@comcast.net . Make sure to include your name, address and phone number. Weather permitting your class will spend much of the time outdoors, please dress appropriately.

About your class:

Things you must bring

Bow, 5 practice arrows, and whatever else you need to shoot.
Comfortable folding chair for yourself.
Pen, Pencil, Paper or Note Book.
Lunch and Drinks.
***Attention students under the age of 18. Even if you are old enough to drive to the class yourself anyone under 18 years of age will need their parent or guardian to sign their registration card.

Unless you are applying for a crossbow permit everyone will be required to shoot and demonstrate your archery skills. You are not being tested for accuracy. You are being tested for safety which requires you to demonstrate you know proper archery form and technique. If you are unsure of your skills we suggest you receive help before coming. This is something that a good pro shop like Andover Archery can provide to you. Come prepared to have an enjoyable learning experience.

If you don’t have your own bow you may want to borrow one from a friend. A bow and arrows will be provided for your testing if you cannot bring one.

The CEFS card you will receive if you successfully complete the class is accepted in all states and many other countries requiring an archery safety class certificate.

About your instructors and facility.

398 Hebron Road

Andover, CT 06232

Located on Route 316, 3 miles from Route 6 or 3 miles from the junction of Route 85 and Route 66 (Hebron Center). It is a rural area so look for our sign at the end of the driveway.

Andover Archery Center is a full time archery only pro shop, providing sales, service and the best prices in the state. We also provide instruction and the ability to practice up to 70 yards with either field points or broad heads. We also have a large safe ladder treestand to practice from up to 40 yards, and a great 33 target 3D course. We are staffed by two full time professionals with over 50 years experience

If you need anything from the store it will be available to you during several breaks and immediately after the class.

Your instructors are Mark Hall and son Gary Hall. Mark has been an instructor since Connecticut started classes in 1982 and holds the highest rank of Master Instructor. Gary started hunting over 10 years ago and has recently become a chief instructor.
#1703229 - 12/27/16 07:49 AM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: The Fish Man]
Tieg Offline

Loc: SE CT
Gary is awesome. He really livens up the course with his humor and wit. Makes the all day course seem like its only 4-5 hours.

"I think of this war as it really is, not as the people at home imagine, with a hoorah! and a roar. It is very serious, very grim…"
Manfred von Richthofen (aka The Red Baron)
#1703235 - 12/27/16 08:52 AM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: The Fish Man]
buckcall Offline

Don't bother trying to sign up for one on line. You will never get in a class. Just pick the one you want to go to and show up on the date and time. This is the only way to get it done and they will never turn you away.

If you voted for Malloy your an idoit if you voted for Obama you just an ass hole and should be striped of your citizenship!

This country has room for but one flag..The american flag..This country has room for but one language the english language.
Theodore Roosevelt
#1703289 - 12/27/16 04:31 PM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: The Fish Man]
The Fish Man Offline

Thanks, but where do I find them offline, or is word of mouth the way to go?

Behold the fisherman. Mighty are his preparations. He arises early and full of hope. He fishes all day and returns late in the evening, smelling afoul, and the truth is not in him.
#1703290 - 12/27/16 04:35 PM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: EnCon Police]
The Fish Man Offline

Understandably so, but how do we get notified of classes, or search for classes offered? The state mandates this, but falls far short in the dissemination of information regarding classes.

#1703293 - 12/27/16 05:07 PM Re: Bow hunting certification classes [Re: The Fish Man]
Tall 1 Offline

I teach with Mark and Gary at Andover Archery.
Listen to Buckcall...watch for the date and show up. You will not be turned away however we try to limit class sizes to ensure we have enough printed materials for all students.
I may see you there!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics