ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1706434 - 02/02/17 06:57 AM CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD!
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Thanks to PaulD and onthewater102 for mentioning this yesterday.

CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing lead!!!!! eek2

What can you tell us about this DEEP? Thank You (and "Thanks Again CT")

Is this proposition for ALL Lead tackle, or "just" split shot and items under 1/4oz that diving birds/loons can ingest? Will birds really dive, pick off the bottom, swim to the surface, and ingest my jigs and bank sinkers???!!!

No wonder the CT General Assembly can't get REAL work done with nonsense propositions like this they fill their days with!

CT General Assembly Lead Ban

Fishing Info
#1706437 - 02/02/17 07:06 AM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
macattack678 Offline

USN (Ret)

Loc: North Stonington
Yeah you have to protect birds from diving down 100' to ingest my 16 oz bank sinkers

"Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions."

"Great fishermen are not born that way.....They become so through a lifetime of neglecting other things in their lives."

"Don't try to explain it. Just nod your head. Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on.

#1706438 - 02/02/17 07:09 AM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
Don P Offline

I hate it when that happens! mad1 banghead ....if I had a $1 for every time those diving birds did that! rolleyes biggrin
#1706473 - 02/02/17 12:06 PM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
Don P Offline

Are diving birds the ones taking the lead batteries out of the vehicles in New Haven???
#1706482 - 02/02/17 12:20 PM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
cat_in_the_hat Offline

Loc: Tolland CT
Massachusetts bans the use of lead weights under one ounce, does not include lures that use lead solder in manufacture per discussion I had with Mass DEP. However the proposed CT law would outlaw use of all my lead molds. And would I need to get rid of my lead weighted chum pot? We need ongoing proactive monitoring on this.....
#1706485 - 02/02/17 12:28 PM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
Don P Offline

As written CT is proposing the BAN of ALL LEAD fishing tackle.
#1706496 - 02/02/17 12:59 PM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
swwind Offline

Ready Fire Aim.

Doubt it will pass in this form.

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1706498 - 02/02/17 01:54 PM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Where do you get the <1/4oz size being the approximate limit to what diving birds will ingest? If it's from a study you might want to share the report with your local representative.

I doubt anyone on this forum would voluntarily eat one of our own lead sinkers, so if this is a real issue with diving birds experiencing statistically significant higher rates of mortality or lower annual recruitment as a result of ingesting lead fishing weights then I will happily switch to a non-toxic material - but a cross board ban is just the typical hysterics influenced legislation that this state puts out.

I don't see how a bird is going to die from lead exposure after eating the 1/4oz worth of lead at the end of my 4/0 steel fishing hook that got snagged on the bottom without the hook doing it in long before the lead does. A little 3/16 oz split shot on the other hand? Yes.
#1706506 - 02/02/17 03:12 PM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
Don P Offline

I just through 1/4oz out there.....and heard of other states like MA per cat_in_the_hat with a no lead under 1oz limit.

Even if a diving bird eats a split shot, it just craps it out and any of the minimal amount of lead that gets into its blood stream quickly gets diluted and washed out of its system.

This is the same reasoning they banned lead shot while waterfowl hunting. The only lead that kills birds is from lead shot fired from a shotgun....which has already been banned.

The chances of a diving bird diving near lead is SLIM, diving down exactly to the lead VERY SLIM, then eating that lead SUPER SLIM. It just doesn't happen, and a proposal against something that doesn't happen. It's an anti-fisherman law...anti-tackle mfc law......pro friend-family member law who has a tungsten business. This proposal does not, and will not effect positively or negatively diving bird lead poisoning issues.

#Nonsense
#1706514 - 02/02/17 04:24 PM Re: CT General Assembly January 2017 proposition to BAN the USE, mfc and sale of fishing tackle containing LEAD! [Re: Don P]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
I'd like to see a loon or other waterfowl eat one of my 10 lb. downrigger balls.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics