ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1711823 - 04/14/17 12:10 AM Late start
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
I had a couple that had gotten here a day early for an offshore trip. They wanted to do a day of inshore fishing first. I had not been to Brenton Island this year so I wanted to take a look. The Island is always a hit or miss shot anyway and this happened to be a miss day. That was a 40 mile round trip wasted. Our morning was not going good. I looked at another place but the water looked like garbage.

Late in the morning I finally found a place that had good water. The tide was almost high so I parked and waited through the slack for the tide to drop. On one of my casts I get hit and loose it. The bite was definitely a trout bite. It was not long before Doug gets one on and we have our first fish in the box.

The tide starts falling and we now have a lot of action. Our fish were small but they were catching a large variety of fish. Many of the trout were just under the 12 inches min. There were a lot of redfish that I measured and put back. 1/4 to 1/8 inch short. the same with the black drum. Carrie's first redfish was a keeper.

We never had any desire to move because the action was steady. There were some good sized sheepshead in the mix also and we were putting some meat in the box.

As things slowed down I started think about moving to another place nearby. Just as I was going to pick up and move Carrie hooks up to a fat 19 inch speck. That bought us some more time and we never left there the rest of the day.

Early in the afternoon the winds picked up so we decided to head back. I had to run across a good bit of open water but the direction of the waves were in my favor. I crossed it at 38 miles per hour with no problem or spray. On the way in we stopped at a few other places and found a few more rat reds. Although no limits We still ended up with a nice mixed bag of fish for the day. Reds, black drum, sheepshead, and trout.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1711824 - 04/14/17 05:50 AM Re: Late start [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Very nice Hoop! Putting on the Miles & Speed have never been a Fear Factor for you! smile1

Way to put them on fish!

Btw - I cooked up some LA Mangrove Snapper last night....Awesome!
#1711835 - 04/14/17 08:07 AM Re: Late start [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Tall 1 Offline

Nice work!

Active Topics