ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1712826 - 04/25/17 10:32 PM Fishing with Richard
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
Richard Young and I have been talking about going fishing all year. Today was the first time we were able to make it happen. I launched early. The winds were forecasted to pick up in the afternoon. The tide was coming in till about 11:00. It was going to fall hard after that. I enjoyed the view at the marina until Richard had the offshore customers on the boats and once he picked up things at the camp it was our time to go kill something.

With a west north west wind I had planned on going to the south east but Richard mentioned a spot he wanted to look at to the west. It was close so we went that way. We got there and it was obvious the fish had moved from the other day. He mentioned he wanted some reds for a meal in the camp that evening. I knew of a place we might be able to fulfill that order but I would have to run in open water head on for about 8 miles. Time to show him how the Avenger handles.

Once there we were almost instantly into some nice reds. He found the big ones. This guy went back.

and I found the small ones. This guy also went back.

Rich had put 5 keeper reds in the boat and I only donated 2 but it looked like our limit was going to be fulfilled right here without moving. I got bored watching him land the keepers so I casted off to the side. My line got hit almost at once and we had our first of the day good trout. It was now 8:00 and the ice was getting covered.

We had a school of nice trout right alongside the boat. Our focus changed to the new rod bending location. These trout were all nice size. Nothing to measure here.

In the process of putting specks in the boat we finished our 2 man limit of redfish and continued releasing all others we caught. It was now 9:00 and our redfish were in the box. Nice when a plan comes together.

About 10:00 the tide slowed down noticeably. We had been using both Vu Du shrimp and live shrimp with the same results. As the tide slowed so did the bite. With a good box of fish we went to one other place to look for some trout. We picked up a few more trout but the hard head catfish took over the dinner table. It was time to close the restaurant once they showed up with the family. It was now 10:20.

Instead of waiting a bit and fishing the falling tide we decided to head back and have a fish cleaning party. The ride back was better than I had expected. Although the seas had built up we had a good angle on them and kept dry at a 26 mph. ride through the open seas. I could not have asked for a better morning.

Rest assured he and I will be at it again very soon.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1712829 - 04/25/17 10:42 PM Re: Fishing with Richard [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Very Nice!!!
#1712830 - 04/25/17 10:44 PM Re: Fishing with Richard [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Online   content

....and how many packages of hotdogs will it take for you to mail me a "Tuna Town" visor?
#1712858 - 04/26/17 08:19 AM Re: Fishing with Richard [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Tieg Offline

Loc: SE CT
Last pic says it all.

"I think of this war as it really is, not as the people at home imagine, with a hoorah! and a roar. It is very serious, very grim…"
Manfred von Richthofen (aka The Red Baron)
#1712861 - 04/26/17 08:48 AM Re: Fishing with Richard [Re: Don P]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
Originally Posted By: Don P
....and how many packages of hotdogs will it take for you to mail me a "Tuna Town" visor?

You did not get one? You can get one the next time you are here. They do look good. How serious are you?

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1712872 - 04/26/17 11:29 AM Re: Fishing with Richard [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Online   content

It's fishing related Hoop!....I'm damn serious!!!!

Mail me a Tuna Town visor, if you're up to it a 2XL long sleeve and T-Shirt....in some fish sexy motif! I can mail you item & shipping $$$ ahead of time. I didn't see many/any 2XL shirts when I was there.

Active Topics