ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1713687 - 05/04/17 01:08 PM Fishing and Closed Season
Rick Accused Offline

Loc: Milford, CT
I got into a debate with an individual a while back regarding fishing for a species while the season is closed. I told him that it I was reasonably sure it was illegal to be targeting a species regardless whether or not you release your catch during a closed season. He of course had a few choice words for me and told me that he'd "Like to see them prove it." He of course was gone before I could call the tip hotline but I went looking and couldn't find any definitive language that specified whether what I was saying was the case.

EnCon Police: What is your take on this?

Edited by Rick Accused (05/04/17 01:09 PM)
Fishing Info
#1713832 - 05/06/17 10:03 AM Re: Fishing and Closed Season [Re: Rick Accused]
bonanzaman Offline

Loc: Monroe, CT
My nephew who is a conservation officer in NY, told me that it is illegal to target out of season species.
I asked him all the same questions as I'm pretty skeptical, and he said he'd write a ticket if he was sure of the offense.

I also asked him if I took all the hooks off the lure and fished with that, he said that was fine as no fish could be caught.
It can still be fun watching fish smash on top water without catching them.
#1713882 - 05/06/17 08:47 PM Re: Fishing and Closed Season [Re: bonanzaman]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Originally Posted By: bonanzaman
My nephew who is a conservation officer in NY, told me that it is illegal to target out of season species.
I asked him all the same questions as I'm pretty skeptical, and he said he'd write a ticket if he was sure of the offense.

I also asked him if I took all the hooks off the lure and fished with that, he said that was fine as no fish could be caught.
It can still be fun watching fish smash on top water without catching them.

WTF, these lawmakers are completely are out of control!!!!

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1713929 - 05/07/17 06:38 PM Re: Fishing and Closed Season [Re: Rick Accused]
EnCon Police Offline

By definition in the anglers guide, "CLOSED SEASON: That period of time during which all fishing is prohibited in the area specified". If you are fishing during a closed season regardless if you are catching and releasing you are still fishing and thus in violation.
#1714217 - 05/11/17 08:38 AM Re: Fishing and Closed Season [Re: Rick Accused]
Rick Accused Offline

Loc: Milford, CT
Thats for the replies gents. One more follow up, does that also apply to saltwater seasons, where the area itself doesn't close but just the given fishery?

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics