ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1717813 - 06/19/17 02:37 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
M.C. Niantic Offline

I agree leave the snakes alone and a glove is a good idea. Too bad I never had a glove around when I was a kid. Isn't that an eastern racer, they can be real fast and not happy when bothered. Just looked it up your'e right it's a rat snake.

Edited by M.C. Niantic (06/19/17 02:50 PM)

"It's too big, let it go"
Fishing Info
#1717818 - 06/19/17 03:06 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
No - the white mottling to the scales of its belly are a dead give away, a racer would be completely black save for a little light color under the chin. The rat snake has the occasional white tipped scales along its body, again, a racer would be totally black. Upon close inspection there is a rib in the center of the scales on a rat snake, like a ridge line, that racers do not have. The sheer size is another, conservatively this thing was 66" long which, while big for a rat snake, would have been an exceptionally large racer.

Racers are much more aggressive too, had this been a racer I would not have been able to get all the pictures of it in the tree and I doubt I'd have gotten one to calm down to the point it wasn't trying to flip musk on me or bite anything that moved once I had it cornered and tried to pick it up.
#1717820 - 06/19/17 03:19 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Rat snakes, as the name should imply, can handle all sizes of vermin and are really fantastic snakes to have on or around your property. They are very docile, do not respond aggressively unless completely cornered or startled.

The only caution I would voice with them is that they tend to live in the same areas as copperheads, so if you see rat snakes you probably have the right conditions which would be inviting to copperheads and you should be extra careful when working in gardens, brush, stone walls or around woodpiles on your property.

Copperheads too are actually very timid, but because of their camouflage and being that they're predominantly nocturnal (relevant because they're usually asleep during the day when initially encountered) they tend not do be noticed until people are right on top of them and within striking distance.
#1717822 - 06/19/17 03:54 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
O-BASS Offline

Originally Posted By: onthewater102

Racers are much more aggressive too, .

might explain the experience i had i told you about. all black snake.
#1717832 - 06/19/17 04:58 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Originally Posted By: onthewater102
Quit killing natural pest control.

Mice and other rodents are the main carriers of ticks that people interact with. I'm sure this guy has done his part keeping our backyard free of the furry little disease carriers. We do not spray the yard and we've pulled only one tick off the kids so far this year.

If my 3yr old girl isn't afraid of it why does a full grown "man" feel the need to kill these things? MAN UP and leave them alone to do their jobs!

Some other cool pics...I actually found him about 5' off the ground in a burning bush:

Really cool pictures and nice to see the little ones handle and have respect for the snakes. My 4 and 5 year old grand kids handle the snakes here that Dad catches for them. While not quite as large, they are poisonous. biggrin Hope this link works. https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v...amp;oe=59CFD7A7

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

#1717849 - 06/19/17 08:07 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Ringneck snakes poisonous?
#1717876 - 06/20/17 07:45 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Falcon Offline

Loc: plymouth, ct
I just leave snakes alone. No need for senseless killing.
#1717879 - 06/20/17 08:06 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Jarhead Offline

Loc: Southwestern CT
Nice catch! Never seen one that big in CT. We grew up (and still do) with all sorts of reptiles as temporary and permanent pets. Very cool creatures. Keep the ecosystem alive.

Lee

Time and Tide Wait for No Man

#sunriseyakkin
#teamchuggalugg
#1717889 - 06/20/17 09:21 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Flipper Offline

Loc: Brookfield
I saw a big black snake crossing the highway the other day. I really wanted to take it home to help fight the rodents that have infested my yard with ticks. My mother in-law found a snake in her yard and killed it with a shovel. I wish I could reciprocate as the real pest continues to thrive.

We need more predators. We have totally screwed up our ecosystem and are paying the price with zoonotic diseases. On a positive note, the Hawk population seems to have increased where I am.
#1717901 - 06/20/17 11:24 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
OHMYGOD Offline

Loc: Suffield Ct
Cool, I love snakes. smile1

WAVEWALK DEMO AGENT:
Send me a message if you want to try the W500,W700 and soon the S4.

You can take what you want from life......As long as you give a little Back.
"We never get over the fishing fever, it's a delightful disease and thank the lord there is no cure".
"CTF, is a lure I can not afford to NOT have in my pocket"

Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Our freedoms are being choked, big brother's grip is getting tighter.

http://wavewalk.com/Connecticut_Fishing_Kayak_Review_22.html

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics