Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1717789 - 06/19/17 10:37 AM For all you snake killing sissies out there
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Quit killing natural pest control.

Mice and other rodents are the main carriers of ticks that people interact with. I'm sure this guy has done his part keeping our backyard free of the furry little disease carriers. We do not spray the yard and we've pulled only one tick off the kids so far this year.

If my 3yr old girl isn't afraid of it why does a full grown "man" feel the need to kill these things? MAN UP and leave them alone to do their jobs!

Some other cool pics...I actually found him about 5' off the ground in a burning bush:

Fishing Info
#1717791 - 06/19/17 10:41 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Reelized Offline

JAFO

Loc: Cromwell
I have a couple resident ones in our gardens. I just let them be.They just freak my wife out when she is weeding. laugh

2015 Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II
Wilderness Systems Commander
2013 Lowe 1652MT Swamptimus Prime

Cromwell Outboard Association
#1717792 - 06/19/17 10:51 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Ditto, Michelle freaks over them! Now if they could kill deer I wouldn't have any ticks on our property.

What kind of snake Ken? I would of been nervous to handle that one!!!!!!

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#1717794 - 06/19/17 10:58 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Rat snake -- I worked with a reptile rehabilitation group the whole time I was in high school so I've had a lot of practice handling all different types of snakes.

Deer get the bad press for ticks, but it's mainly mice and other rodents that carry the diseases that are then transmitted to humans through ticks, as well as for the majority of ticks that are in close proximity to people.

http://lymediseasecentralmass.com/the-ro...-only-villains/

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/kiling-deer-not-answer-reducing-lyme-disease-html/

We took him out of the bush before he could raid the bird nests that were in it (my wife loves feeding the birds so we have nests in virtually every bush on the property.) I took him down to the river and let him go in a big brush pile along the bank after making sure the neighbors wouldn't kill him if he happened to show up on their property. My daughter petting it was pretty convincing that he wasn't a threat to them.

This was the biggest wild snake I've ever caught - it was between 5 and 6 feet long judging from this photo of me holding him (the bush I found him in is in the background along with the gate I was closing when I turned around to face him):

#1717795 - 06/19/17 11:02 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Last we saw of him was the very end of his tail as he went off to the snaky buffet that is a brush pile on a river bank!

#1717799 - 06/19/17 12:05 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
O-BASS Offline

dad of the year. well done my man!

love snakes!
#1717800 - 06/19/17 12:25 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
Very cool to see your daughter petting it.

While I do not handle snakes or want anything really to do with them. I always give them their space and let them do what they need to do.

I did help a gardner snake out last year my directing a toad towards where it was hiding. Pretty cool to see the snake attack and eats it's lunch!

I told my wife she wasn't happy said I didn't need to interfere. I just thought it was neat to see.

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
#1717801 - 06/19/17 12:40 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Mycept Offline

Says the Sissy using a glove to pick up a snake.....
#1717803 - 06/19/17 12:52 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: Mycept]
Tod Osier Offline

Loc: Newtown, CT
Originally Posted By: Mycept
Says the Sissy using a glove to pick up a snake.....

I thought that too.

`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`
Tod Osier on Instagram
#1717806 - 06/19/17 01:41 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Might not be poisonous but reptiles can have all sorts of nasty bacteria in their mouths that I'd rather not be bitten with, and the teeth on a snake that size would be plenty long enough to break the skin (speaking from experience on that one.) So not sissy - experienced & educated.

With the glove I could give it a little leeway and have some range of motion with its head which helps keep it calm, and I kept repositioning it so it didn't have enough range of motion to bite me behind the end of the glove. If I had it pinned by the back of the head the whole time (as you may have seen on one of those snake hunter TV shows) it would have been much more stressed and there was no need for that if it would behave with just the glove on.
#1717813 - 06/19/17 02:37 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
M.C. Niantic Offline

I agree leave the snakes alone and a glove is a good idea. Too bad I never had a glove around when I was a kid. Isn't that an eastern racer, they can be real fast and not happy when bothered. Just looked it up your'e right it's a rat snake.

Edited by M.C. Niantic (06/19/17 02:50 PM)

"It's too big, let it go"
#1717818 - 06/19/17 03:06 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

No - the white mottling to the scales of its belly are a dead give away, a racer would be completely black save for a little light color under the chin. The rat snake has the occasional white tipped scales along its body, again, a racer would be totally black. Upon close inspection there is a rib in the center of the scales on a rat snake, like a ridge line, that racers do not have. The sheer size is another, conservatively this thing was 66" long which, while big for a rat snake, would have been an exceptionally large racer.

Racers are much more aggressive too, had this been a racer I would not have been able to get all the pictures of it in the tree and I doubt I'd have gotten one to calm down to the point it wasn't trying to flip musk on me or bite anything that moved once I had it cornered and tried to pick it up.
#1717820 - 06/19/17 03:19 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Rat snakes, as the name should imply, can handle all sizes of vermin and are really fantastic snakes to have on or around your property. They are very docile, do not respond aggressively unless completely cornered or startled.

The only caution I would voice with them is that they tend to live in the same areas as copperheads, so if you see rat snakes you probably have the right conditions which would be inviting to copperheads and you should be extra careful when working in gardens, brush, stone walls or around woodpiles on your property.

Copperheads too are actually very timid, but because of their camouflage and being that they're predominantly nocturnal (relevant because they're usually asleep during the day when initially encountered) they tend not do be noticed until people are right on top of them and within striking distance.
#1717822 - 06/19/17 03:54 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
O-BASS Offline

Originally Posted By: onthewater102

Racers are much more aggressive too, .

might explain the experience i had i told you about. all black snake.
#1717832 - 06/19/17 04:58 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Quit killing natural pest control.

Mice and other rodents are the main carriers of ticks that people interact with. I'm sure this guy has done his part keeping our backyard free of the furry little disease carriers. We do not spray the yard and we've pulled only one tick off the kids so far this year.

If my 3yr old girl isn't afraid of it why does a full grown "man" feel the need to kill these things? MAN UP and leave them alone to do their jobs!

Some other cool pics...I actually found him about 5' off the ground in a burning bush:

Really cool pictures and nice to see the little ones handle and have respect for the snakes. My 4 and 5 year old grand kids handle the snakes here that Dad catches for them. While not quite as large, they are poisonous. biggrin Hope this link works. https://scontent.fbed1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v...amp;oe=59CFD7A7

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

#1717849 - 06/19/17 08:07 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Ringneck snakes poisonous?
#1717876 - 06/20/17 07:45 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Falcon Offline

Loc: plymouth, ct
I just leave snakes alone. No need for senseless killing.
#1717879 - 06/20/17 08:06 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Jarhead Offline

Loc: Southwestern CT
Nice catch! Never seen one that big in CT. We grew up (and still do) with all sorts of reptiles as temporary and permanent pets. Very cool creatures. Keep the ecosystem alive.

Lee

Time and Tide Wait for No Man

#sunriseyakkin
#teamchuggalugg
#1717889 - 06/20/17 09:21 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Flipper Offline

Loc: Brookfield
I saw a big black snake crossing the highway the other day. I really wanted to take it home to help fight the rodents that have infested my yard with ticks. My mother in-law found a snake in her yard and killed it with a shovel. I wish I could reciprocate as the real pest continues to thrive.

We need more predators. We have totally screwed up our ecosystem and are paying the price with zoonotic diseases. On a positive note, the Hawk population seems to have increased where I am.
#1717901 - 06/20/17 11:24 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
OHMYGOD Offline

Loc: Suffield Ct
Cool, I love snakes. smile1

WAVEWALK DEMO AGENT:
Send me a message if you want to try the W500,W700 and soon the S4.

You can take what you want from life......As long as you give a little Back.
"We never get over the fishing fever, it's a delightful disease and thank the lord there is no cure".
"CTF, is a lure I can not afford to NOT have in my pocket"

Don’t argue with Idiots.. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Our freedoms are being choked, big brother's grip is getting tighter.

http://wavewalk.com/Connecticut_Fishing_Kayak_Review_22.html

#1717948 - 06/20/17 08:40 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
WP Offline

Here's the black rat snake that lives in the stone wall on my property. The wall ends at my mailbox, which is where this picture was taken. I see him here every so often when I go out to get the mail.

VERY docile, and doesn't protest when I gently suggest that sunning himself in the road imight not be a good idea.

The picture only shows 2/3 - 3/4 of the snake. It's big, maybe 6 feet long.

That's my foot in the picture, but it's not the closest I've been to the snake. He ran over the top of my bare foot at 2:00AM one morning when I went out on my deck to investigate a thump from my BBQ. I thought it was a raccoon, so I turned on the light, didn't see anything, and stepped out onto the deck in my bare feet for a better look. The snake was moving very fast toward the BBQ when he ran over my foot. Woke me right up! Seemed fixated on something in/underneath the BBQ. Didn't seem concerned about my presence at all, so I watched a little while, saw nothing, went back in, shut off the light and left him to his quest.
#1717952 - 06/20/17 09:48 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Awesome!
#1717970 - 06/21/17 08:52 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Ignatz Offline

Loc: Stonington
Where I grew up there were a lot of stone walls(snake condos)but both my Mom and sister hated snakes. So if they saw one they would try to get me to kill it but most of the time I would just tell them I had scared it off. A few times I caught one but instead of killing them my Dad would just give it to a farmer down the road who had a couple of old barns with a lot of mice in them.

You can't make anything foolproof because fools are ingenious
#1717996 - 06/21/17 03:38 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Ringneck snakes poisonous?

"Poisonous" with a giant biggrin I have never know a ring neck snake to bite anyone and they just may very well be the friendliest snake going they are slightly venomous according to wikipedia.

Diadophis punctatus, commonly known as the ring-necked snake or ringneck snake, is a harmless species of colubrid snake found throughout much of the United States, central Mexico, and southeastern Canada. Ring-necked snakes are secretive, nocturnal snakes, so are rarely seen during the day time. They are slightly venomous, but their nonaggressive nature and small, rear-facing fangs pose little threat to humans who wish to handle them. They are best known for their unique defense posture of curling up their tails, exposing their bright red-orange posterior, ventral surface when threatened. Ring-necked snakes are believed to be fairly abundant throughout most of their range, though no scientific evaluation supports this hypothesis. Scientific research is lacking for the ring-necked snake, and more in-depth investigations are greatly needed.[4] It is the only species within the genus Diadophis, and currently 14 subspecies are identified, but many herpetologists question the morphologically based classifications.[5] [size:14pt][/size]

Diet

The diet of the ring-necked snake consists primarily of smaller salamanders, earthworms, and slugs, but they also sometimes eat lizards, frogs, and some juvenile snakes of other species.[7] The frequency at which prey species are chosen is dependent on their availability within the habitat.[7] Ring-necked snakes use a combination of constriction and envenomation to secure their prey. The snakes do not have a true venom gland, but they do have an analogous structure called the Duvernoy's gland derived from the same tissue.[4] Most subspecies are rear-fanged with the last maxillary teeth on both sides of the upper jaw being longer and channeled;[4] the notable exception is D. p. edwardsii, which is fangless.[7] The venom is produced in the Duvernoy's gland located directly behind the eye.[4] It then drains out of an opening at the rear of the maxillary tooth.[4] Ring-necked snakes first strike and then secure the prey using constriction. Next, they maneuver their mouths forward, ensuring the last maxillary tooth punctures the skin and allowing the venom to enter the prey's tissue.[4] Ring-necked snakes are rarely aggressive to larger predators, suggesting their venom evolved as a feeding strategy rather than a defense strategy. Rather than trying to bite a predator, the snake winds up its tail into a corkscrew, exposing its brightly colored belly.[7]

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

#1718321 - 06/25/17 09:11 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
scooter72 Offline

Loc: Windham,CT
Black rat snake...surprised he was letting the kids handle him like that they usually get kind of snappy...good stuff though....I never kill any snake...like you said natural pest control

You can say anything foolish to a dog, and that dog will still give you a look that says, "WOW!! What a great idea!! I never would have thought of that!!"

Some people are born on third base, then spend the rest of their lives thinking they hit a triple.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics