ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1717890 - 06/20/17 09:28 AM Wear a lifejacket when kayaking
D-Rock Offline

Loc: Middletown, CT
Please Please Please! If you go out on a kayak, WEAR A PFD. Its an easy way to make sure you come home safe to your loved ones at the end of the day.

Here's to the breezes...
Kayak Fisherman
Fishing Info
#1717894 - 06/20/17 10:03 AM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
Fuzzytrout Offline

Loc: Cape Cod!
goodpost

A fellow kayaker / fisherman lost his life yesterday, after his kayak was found near middle grounds empty. He launched from northport LI....

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/new...ticle-1.3260674

my only advice besides the above would be the FLIP YOURSELF OVER on purpose in a nice calm shallow bay, so you can practice self recovery. this is something all kayakers should practice, and sadly no one does. When sh!t goes wrong, it goes wrong so fast you don't have time to react, you need to remain as calm as possible. Once panic sets in your done.

"Don't kill them for ego, don't kill them because they're legal, and don't kill them for someone else." - Doc Muller

www.davidriina.com

#1717897 - 06/20/17 11:06 AM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: Fuzzytrout]
ChunkDunker Offline

Loc: Western LIS
Can't emphasize it enough.

Sad to hear, feel for his family and friends

CD
#1717924 - 06/20/17 03:26 PM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
D-Rock Offline

Loc: Middletown, CT
I agree with all. I've flipped 2 different kayaks unwillingly in fast rips in LIS. It happens fast. If I didn't have a PFD good chance I wouldn't be here right now.

Here's to the breezes...
Kayak Fisherman
#1717926 - 06/20/17 04:04 PM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
Bullwinkle Offline

Loc: Guilford
Terrible news.

I was paddling someone else's sit-inside kayak a few miles offshore when and it sank. The drain plug became unscrewed. Luckily I was out with two other guys. It took the whole day to recover it.

Things happen fast.
#1719782 - 07/11/17 10:36 PM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
joe sabas the fishin magician Offline

Loc: Jupiter,Florida
Ain't that the truth ,,Good advise D-, fell twice in my little tin boat both times it filled with water so fast I didn't have time to reach for my life vest that was on the seat under me .Luckily I didn't get in more trouble .Now I put it on every trip .

JOE SABAS
THE FISHIN MAGICIAN
Jupiter,Florida.
#1721944 - 08/03/17 08:10 AM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Resurfacing this thread. It's a great topic Derek.

WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET!

Went out for my virgin trip with my new to me 2014 13' Hobie Revolution kayak with Mirage Drive pedal power and upgraded Turbo Fins and upgraded Sailing Rudder. I wore my brand new hi viz shark yum yum yellow/orangey yak lifejaket. Just pulled the tags off the jacket as I grabbed it out of my vehicle. Meant to go out for a quick jaunt from my Clinton cottages down to Pilots Point Marina Breakwall and back.

I got about 1/3 mile from Pilots Point and the storm front was in the distance coming in hot with rain and lightning. I was just about to turn around to beat the system and caught the glimpse of something about a 1/2 mile Offshore.

I paddled out to the area and it was a Mother and her Son in the water with a completely swamped 2-person sit in kayak drab gray in color. They were trying to swim it to shore in a moving tide WITHOUT LIFEJACKETS ON NOR ABOARD!!! The son was a poor swimmer, and both were winded. Dusk was approaching and rain and lightning were now upon us.

Towed them back towards shore until a waverunner came out and picked both of them up, then went back for their kayak.

WEAR YOUR LIFEJACKET & KNOW YOUR LIMITS and the limits of those with you.

Stay Safe!
#1721956 - 08/03/17 09:47 AM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
Sweetchuck Offline

Loc: Stafford Springs, CT
Wow Don!!

Great job in helping them out.

My kayak does not even go into the water without me having my life jacket on!

That is some scary stuff. If you had not been there who know what would have happened.

Save a tree eat a Deer!!!!!!
#1721958 - 08/03/17 09:53 AM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
Don P Online   content

Loc: CLINTON, CT
It was quite a 1st ever trip on it for me!

#1721975 - 08/03/17 11:39 AM Re: Wear a lifejacket when kayaking [Re: D-Rock]
swwind Offline

Wow Don,

Awesome work on your part. applause

I used to kayak fish a lot . . . . . before it was cool. wink2

A few thoughts.

1. Practice self rescue. If you know and practice a procedure it can save your life. Practice WITH the life jacket on.

2. In the age of the $3000 fishing kayak, an $99 PLB and/or $99 hand held VHF are probably good additions to the gear set.

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Editors, FindBass, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics