ctfisherman.com logo
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1717948 - 06/20/17 08:40 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
WP Offline

Here's the black rat snake that lives in the stone wall on my property. The wall ends at my mailbox, which is where this picture was taken. I see him here every so often when I go out to get the mail.

VERY docile, and doesn't protest when I gently suggest that sunning himself in the road imight not be a good idea.

The picture only shows 2/3 - 3/4 of the snake. It's big, maybe 6 feet long.

That's my foot in the picture, but it's not the closest I've been to the snake. He ran over the top of my bare foot at 2:00AM one morning when I went out on my deck to investigate a thump from my BBQ. I thought it was a raccoon, so I turned on the light, didn't see anything, and stepped out onto the deck in my bare feet for a better look. The snake was moving very fast toward the BBQ when he ran over my foot. Woke me right up! Seemed fixated on something in/underneath the BBQ. Didn't seem concerned about my presence at all, so I watched a little while, saw nothing, went back in, shut off the light and left him to his quest.
Fishing Info
#1717952 - 06/20/17 09:48 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Awesome!
#1717970 - 06/21/17 08:52 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Ignatz Offline

Loc: Stonington
Where I grew up there were a lot of stone walls(snake condos)but both my Mom and sister hated snakes. So if they saw one they would try to get me to kill it but most of the time I would just tell them I had scared it off. A few times I caught one but instead of killing them my Dad would just give it to a farmer down the road who had a couple of old barns with a lot of mice in them.

You can't make anything foolproof because fools are ingenious
#1717996 - 06/21/17 03:38 PM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
Bass Ackwards Offline

Originally Posted By: onthewater102
Ringneck snakes poisonous?

"Poisonous" with a giant biggrin I have never know a ring neck snake to bite anyone and they just may very well be the friendliest snake going they are slightly venomous according to wikipedia.

Diadophis punctatus, commonly known as the ring-necked snake or ringneck snake, is a harmless species of colubrid snake found throughout much of the United States, central Mexico, and southeastern Canada. Ring-necked snakes are secretive, nocturnal snakes, so are rarely seen during the day time. They are slightly venomous, but their nonaggressive nature and small, rear-facing fangs pose little threat to humans who wish to handle them. They are best known for their unique defense posture of curling up their tails, exposing their bright red-orange posterior, ventral surface when threatened. Ring-necked snakes are believed to be fairly abundant throughout most of their range, though no scientific evaluation supports this hypothesis. Scientific research is lacking for the ring-necked snake, and more in-depth investigations are greatly needed.[4] It is the only species within the genus Diadophis, and currently 14 subspecies are identified, but many herpetologists question the morphologically based classifications.[5] [size:14pt][/size]

Diet

The diet of the ring-necked snake consists primarily of smaller salamanders, earthworms, and slugs, but they also sometimes eat lizards, frogs, and some juvenile snakes of other species.[7] The frequency at which prey species are chosen is dependent on their availability within the habitat.[7] Ring-necked snakes use a combination of constriction and envenomation to secure their prey. The snakes do not have a true venom gland, but they do have an analogous structure called the Duvernoy's gland derived from the same tissue.[4] Most subspecies are rear-fanged with the last maxillary teeth on both sides of the upper jaw being longer and channeled;[4] the notable exception is D. p. edwardsii, which is fangless.[7] The venom is produced in the Duvernoy's gland located directly behind the eye.[4] It then drains out of an opening at the rear of the maxillary tooth.[4] Ring-necked snakes first strike and then secure the prey using constriction. Next, they maneuver their mouths forward, ensuring the last maxillary tooth punctures the skin and allowing the venom to enter the prey's tissue.[4] Ring-necked snakes are rarely aggressive to larger predators, suggesting their venom evolved as a feeding strategy rather than a defense strategy. Rather than trying to bite a predator, the snake winds up its tail into a corkscrew, exposing its brightly colored belly.[7]

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

#1718321 - 06/25/17 09:11 AM Re: For all you snake killing sissies out there [Re: onthewater102]
scooter72 Offline

Loc: Windham,CT
Black rat snake...surprised he was letting the kids handle him like that they usually get kind of snappy...good stuff though....I never kill any snake...like you said natural pest control

You can say anything foolish to a dog, and that dog will still give you a look that says, "WOW!! What a great idea!! I never would have thought of that!!"

Some people are born on third base, then spend the rest of their lives thinking they hit a triple.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics