ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1720683 - 07/21/17 01:36 PM Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing
Mitch P. Offline

Notice of Intent to Amend Regulations and Notice of Public Hearing

The Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection, pursuant to Sections 4-168(a) and 22a-6 of the General Statutes of Connecticut, hereby gives notice of his intention to adopt a new section 26-48a-4, and amend sections 26-112-43, 26-112-44, 26-112-45, 26-112-46, and 26-112-48 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies. These regulations will be adopted under authority of Sections 26-48a and 26-112 of the General Statutes.

The proposed amendments to the regulations will establish trout and Atlantic salmon stamps, and amend regulations concerning methods and gear types, fishing seasons for several waterbodies, harvest regulations for certain species (common carp, catfish and bullheads), Trout Management Areas, Wild Trout Management Areas, Atlantic Salmon “Broodstock Areas,” Trout Parks, and Trophy Carp Waters. Additionally special regulations for black bass at Trap Falls Reservoir will be removed and several technical changes are made.

These proposals are intended to provide an additional source of revenue for natural resource programs, provide additional recreational fishing opportunities, and enhance existing fishing opportunities. Below is a summary of the proposed changes:

Section 1. Establishes $5.00 trout stamp and $10 broodstock Atlantic salmon stamp ($12.00 for a combination stamp) to fish for trout and Atlantic Salmon.

Section 2. Establish definitions for “maximum length”, “Tenkara” fishing (and allow Tenkara fishing to be considered “flyfishing”) and “bubble floats”.

Section 3. Removes the closed season from Alexander Lake, shortens the closed season at Green Falls Reservoir and adds a closed season to Baldwins Pond.

Section 4. Establish statewide regulations for common carp (subsection (f)), removes catfish & bullhead from the list of panfish (subsection (j)) and establishes creel & length limits for catfish (new subsection (s)).

Section 5.

- Subsection (c). Establishes a short closed season on a small portion of the Farmington River Trout Management Area (TMA) located in the Riverton area and changes the Mill River TMA (Fairfield) from a seasonal TMA to year-round catch-and-release fishing.

- Subsection (g). Extends the Mill River Wild Trout Management Area downstream to the upper boundary of the Mill River TMA.

- Subsection (h). Updates period when the broodstock salmon gear restriction applies to fishing for all species in broodstock areas.

- Subsection (i). Adds Pasture Pond to the list of Trout Parks.

- New subsection (l). Establishes a new type of special management area, “Trophy Carp Waters” on several waterbodies, with regulations that differ from the statewide regulations established in Section 4.

Section 6. Eliminate special bass regulations for Trap Falls Reservoir as per request of Aquarion Water Company.

Additionally, there are several technical changes, most notably eliminating use of the term “charr” when referring to trout.

The proposed regulations, statement of purpose, a small business impact statement and a fiscal note indicating no additional expense to the state or municipal governments to implement these proposed regulations are posted and available for download (pdf) on the eRegulations system (https://eregulations.ct.gov).

Copies of the proposed regulations, statement of purpose, small business impact statement and fiscal note are also available for public inspection during normal business hours at the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection’s Bureau of Natural Resources, Fisheries Division, 6th Floor, 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT, 06106-5127. These documents can also be obtained by contacting Bill Foreman at the above address, by phone at (860) 424-3474, or by email (deep.inland.fisheries@ct.gov).

One public hearing has been scheduled to obtain public comment to determine whether to adopt the proposed regulations or to adjust the measures. All interested persons are invited to express their views on the proposed regulations at the following public hearing:

Date: August 9, 2017
Time:6:30 pm
Gina McCarthy Auditorium
79 Elm Street
Hartford, Connecticut 06106

Interested persons may also choose to present their views regarding the proposed regulations in writing during the public comment period. Written comments should be submitted no later than 4:30 PM on August 25, 2017. Based on public comment, the proposed regulations may be adjusted to meet the objective of the proposal. Comments may be submitted using one of the following methods:

- Online via the eRegulations system (https://eregulations.ct.gov) on the Secretary of State’s website. Go to “Open for Public comment”, select this regulation and follow instructions for submitting comments.

- By mail or delivery service to Bill Foreman at the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, Fisheries Division, 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT, 06106-5127.

- By email to william.foreman@ct.gov.

- By fax to 860-424-4070 (attention: Bill Foreman).

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to complying with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please contact us at (860) 418-5910 or deep.accommodations@ct.gov if you: have a disability and need a communication aid or service; have limited proficiency in English and may need information in another language; or if you wish to file an ADA or Title VI discrimination complaint. Any person needing a hearing accommodation may call the State of Connecticut relay number - 711. Requests for accommodations must be made at least two weeks prior to any agency hearing, program or event.

Susan Whalen

Deputy Commissioner

Published on the Connecticut eRegulations system on the Secretary of State's website on July 20, 2017

Attachments
DEEP 2017 Sport Fish regulations NOI 07-19-2017.pdf (1 downloads)

Fishing Info
#1720694 - 07/21/17 03:30 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Where
Does
It
End mad1

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....
#1720717 - 07/22/17 09:52 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Ignatz Offline

Loc: Stonington
Let me guess they are going to try to sell the trout stamp as a way to help the hatcheries but then they will either lower the money going to DEEP by the same amount or just take it!

You can't make anything foolproof because fools are ingenious
#1720751 - 07/22/17 08:01 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Jon Pski Offline

Loc: Winsted, CT
Quote:
Let me guess they are going to try to sell the trout stamp as a way to help the hatcheries but then they will either lower the money going to DEEP by the same amount or just take it!

If they did this last year before the big cuts went into effect, they had a chance to make some decent cash as most freshwater fisherman would have bought the stamp just to support the hatchery system. Now, only the uninformed and the trout guys are going to buy it.
#1720777 - 07/23/17 01:46 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Or...quit throwing money away on put-take fisheries and spend it more wisely developing/supplanting self-sustaining fisheries.

How many alewives/shad could be restored to how many river systems with all the money wasted on trout? What about dam removals? Fish ladder construction? What impact would all of that have on the sound as a fishery?

Plenty of places the private sector is not organized to make changes to enhance our fisheries and they'd rather throw money away on what amounts to state sponsored meals for a few fisherman. Outdoorsman's welfare programs need to end!
#1720780 - 07/23/17 07:09 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
I would rather see an increase across the board for all licenses. Why penalize the trout fisherman when it cost money to manage and stock other fisheries. Such as pike, walleye, catfish . Do away with the Atlantic salmon program and bring back the seeforellen program. Maybe a 2-3$ increase in the licence. I don't think it would hurt anyone's wallet.
#1720781 - 07/23/17 07:17 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
DEEP FISHERIES MISMANAGEMENT will not be solved by more money income. It would just be more money to MISMANAGE.

DEEP FISHERIES MANAGEMENT just needs to MANAGE the resources they already have. Once they prove they can be responsible MANAGEMENT, then us Outdoorsmen/women would be more willing to buy into and pay into increased fees if we see the benefit from their MANAGEMENT.

RIGHT NOW OUTDOORSPEOPLE DON'T TRUST THE ABILITIES OF DEEP MANAGEMENT....Fisheries, Hunting, etc...
#1720791 - 07/23/17 08:43 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Don P]
Conrad G. Offline

Originally Posted By: Don P
DEEP FISHERIES MISMANAGEMENT will not be solved by more money income. It would just be more money to MISMANAGE.

DEEP FISHERIES MANAGEMENT just needs to MANAGE the resources they already have. Once they prove they can be responsible MANAGEMENT, then us Outdoorsmen/women would be more willing to buy into and pay into increased fees if we see the benefit from their MANAGEMENT.

RIGHT NOW OUTDOORSPEOPLE DON'T TRUST THE ABILITIES OF DEEP MANAGEMENT....Fisheries, Hunting, etc...

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

#1720796 - 07/23/17 10:09 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Kootch Offline

Loc: Burlington
Our hunting and fishing regulations in CT are more complicated than the Federal tax code.
#1720812 - 07/23/17 12:20 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Conrad G. Offline

You know whats really messed up is some people on this board actually think that the attempts at gaining more revenue is ok as opposed to fixing the spending problems...We are in trouble partially due to this thought process mad1

#1720829 - 07/23/17 03:09 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
shadbody Offline

I can see this happening on the Farmington no kill area. A fellow is fishing in the no kill area, DEEP officer comes up and ask for his trout stamp. The person reply I don't have one and say why would I need one, I am not keeping any fish. The fellow has a reg. fishing Lic. What would be the DEEP answer to that? They catch people with a load of under size stripe bass and can not get them prosecuted. If I am fishing in the Naugy and a DEEP ask me for my salmon stamp I would say I am not fishing for salmon but small mouth bass. What would be his answer to that?
#1720836 - 07/23/17 05:21 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: shadbody]
Don P Offline

Originally Posted By: shadbody
I can see this happening on the Farmington no kill area. A fellow is fishing in the no kill area, DEEP officer comes up and ask for his trout stamp. The person reply I don't have one and say why would I need one, I am not keeping any fish. The fellow has a reg. fishing Lic. What would be the DEEP answer to that? They catch people with a load of under size stripe bass and can not get them prosecuted. If I am fishing in the Naugy and a DEEP ask me for my salmon stamp I would say I am not fishing for salmon but small mouth bass. What would be his answer to that?

DEEP MANAGEMENT & THE JUDICIARY SYSTEM has often chosen not to enforce the regs of that the fine men & women Field Officers have diligently worked the case, and caught the criminals red-handed and served to DEEP MANAGEMENT & THE JUDICIARY SYSTEM on a silver platter, and even wrapped up with a bow. IT IS A DISGRACE TO THE FIELD OFFICERS, AND TO OUR NATURAL RESOURCES!

CT DEEP MANAGEMENT have chosen not to enforce the most basic regs on the book (having a fishing license, not poaching, etc), but yet continue to add more regs and rules they won't backup their diligent Field Officers on who try to enforce and bring offenders to prosecution.

It's a whacky system, but it's not the only broken system in CT unfortunately.
#1720837 - 07/23/17 05:29 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
ecurB Offline

Can you eat that ?

They could conceivably require the trout stamp to fish in any stocked waters , just like all out closure to fishing outside of trout season .

Creel and length limits on channel cats , now that the state is stocking them . Go figure .

Trophy carp waters , well we do have good carp fishing and it is getting more popular . Think carp stamp within a few years...

"Politically correct" was initially coined by Leon Trotsky to refer favorably to those whose views remained in sync with the ever-shifting Bolshevik Party line. This was important, as "not PC" people risked prison or death.
#1720839 - 07/23/17 05:32 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: ecurB]
Don P Offline

Originally Posted By: ecurB
They could conceivably require the trout stamp to fish in any stocked waters , just like all out closure to fishing outside of trout season .

Creel and length limits on channel cats , now that the state is stocking them . Go figure .

Trophy carp waters , well we do have good carp fishing and it is getting more popular . Think carp stamp within a few years...

DON'T GIVE THEM ANY BRIGHT IDEAS!!!!!......sheeeeesh!

#1720840 - 07/23/17 05:44 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Conrad G.]
O-BASS Offline

Originally Posted By: Conrad G.
You know whats really messed up is some people on this board actually think that the attempts at gaining more revenue is ok as opposed to fixing the spending problems...We are in trouble partially due to this thought process mad1

Spade.

NAME the guy here who thinks collecting more coin for this will fix it, as opposed to better management. Name them....

Doesn't exist.
#1720843 - 07/23/17 06:56 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Tod Osier Offline

Loc: Newtown, CT
Originally Posted By: Mitch P.
New subsection (l). Establishes a new type of special management area, “Trophy Carp Waters” on several waterbodies, with regulations that differ from the statewide regulations established in Section 4.

Trophy Carp water is the huge WTF? for me! Trophy water for a destructive exotic (and trash, btw) fish?!?!? Is this a joke?

`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`-`
Tod Osier on Instagram
#1720861 - 07/23/17 09:24 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
MyGirl Offline

With the additional funds raised will they sponsor or expand new projects, or will they continue to deposit it to the general fund? Can't see how this would benefit the sportsman, anglers, the science, or even the DEEP? It would be a shame to see the people of CT hit with a new tax/cost that would affect them, result in continued impacts on the DEEP, and do nothing to solving the states mismanagement problems!
#1720885 - 07/24/17 08:39 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
shadbody Offline

Another thought All the lakes stocked with trout would all the fisherman need to have a trout Stamp? Look at Candlewood with all the bass tournaments on it would they need a trout stamp to fish there. A couple of more Highland and Twin lakes. I would like to see them enforce there.
#1721049 - 07/25/17 05:02 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

Proposed Regulations are Available for Your Comment

Occasionally, based on public suggestion or fisheries management considerations, regulations need to be updated or created. DEEP's Fisheries Division is currently proposing to make changes to the Inland sport fishing regulations and to establish trout and salmon stamps. These changes are intended to help provide additional recreational opportunities, enhance existing fishing opportunities, and to provide additional revenue to support recreational fishing.

DEEP's proposed changes to Inland Fisheries Regulations (effective 2018) are currently open for public comment until 4:30 pm on August 25, 2017. The proposed changes are available via Connecticut's "eRegulations system (https://eregulations.ct.gov) or by request from Deep.inland.fisheries@ct.gov or by phone at 860-424-3474.

We would like to hear from you, in favor or against, through one of the following methods.

1. Online via the Connecticut eRegulation system (preferred method)
2. By mail or delivery service to:
Bill Foreman
CT DEEP Fisheries Division
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106
3. By email to william.foreman@ct.gov
4. By Fax to 860-424-4070 (Attn. Bill Foreman)

In addition, a public hearing is scheduled for:

August 9, 2017 starting at 6:30 pm.
Gina McCarthy Auditorium
5th floor of DEEP Headquarters
79 Elm Street, Hartford.

All are invited to attend and provide verbal testimony or written testimony at that time.

The following is a simple summary of proposed regulations and is provided here for overview purposes only. Please refer to the published documents on the e-regulations system for official wording.

1. Establishes a trout stamp ($5), an Atlantic salmon stamp ($10) and combo ($12), required to a.) fish for trout in Trout Management Areas, Wild Trout Management Areas, Trout Parks, or Broodstock Areas or b.) keep (harvest) trout or kokanee (except from waters stocked at no expense to the state).

2. Establishes a definition for "maximum length", "Tenkara", and "bubble floats".

3. Changes the fishing season on Alexander Lake, Baldwin's Pond, and Green Falls Reservoir.

4. Establishes statewide regulation for Common Carp, removes catfish and bullhead from the list of "panfish".

5. Establishes daily creel and minimum length limits for catfish.

6. Establishes a new closed season on the West Branch Farmington River, in the Riverton area and changes the Mill River TMA (Fairfield) to be year round Catch and Release fishing.

7. The Mill River Wild Trout Management Area is extended to the upper boundary of the Mill River TMA (Merritt Parkway).

8. Pasture Pond (Quinebaug Trout Hatchery, Plainfield) is added to the list of Trout Parks.

9. Establishes "Trophy Carp Waters" on several waterbodies. In these waters the daily limit will be 1 fish under 26 inches. All Carp over 26 inches must be released.

10. Various minor technical changes to make existing regulations consistent or to provide clarity.
#1721058 - 07/25/17 05:36 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Daddy Pickle Offline

Go big or go home

Loc: Windsor Locks
so does this mean kids who don't need a fishing license, will have to get stamps???

Im allergic to land, get me on the water <")))><
My CTF Profile
#1721070 - 07/25/17 07:35 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Daddy Pickle]
Louie-Louie Offline

Loc: Union, Conn.-Westerly RI
Those of us over 65 finally get a free license but have to buy everything else for hunting and fishing. These people are ridiculous.
#1721094 - 07/25/17 10:13 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Tiburon Offline

Loc: Eastern Ct.
Been fishing R.I. for trout for years where a trout stamp is required. I don't know too much about their money management, as to where they distribute funds, (into the general fund or to support trout stocking). They do have a decent stocking program for trout. Trout stamp is $5 and it is required if you want to have trout in your possession. It is my understanding that anyone can fish for trout in the stocked waters but can not keep any without the stamp. Over the years I have been very impressed with the quality of trout that they have produced. Surprised CT. hasn't tried this before now. If this new revenue is used for the general fund we as sportsman will be short changed once again.
#1721095 - 07/25/17 10:16 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Buck Offline

I sent a comment to Bill Foreman via email. Said the item that has the most state-wide impact is the trout/salmon stamp issue.

--Salmon stamp will not go over well. The Fed's gave up on Ct. Atlantic Salmon, the state gave up too, very few returning wild salmon to milk for eggs, so why buy a stamp for a shot at a hatchery fish stocked in a few spots.

--Trout stamp would be ok if the state was going to increase stocking by going from 600k stocked trout to 800k stocked trout by adding 200k extra two year old trout to the stocking program. But you are going in reverse since 2018 is going to see only 300k trout stocked in fewer waters, in fewer numbers but we pay an extra five bucks, that will go into the General Fund and not to the hatcheries, to have a less satisfying experience? I don't think so. Fishermen will turn to the salt or go out of state and fish for trout.
#1721141 - 07/26/17 10:16 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
jimmy Offline

To many people in this state think about themselves and not about the future of the sport. This includes not just some fisherman but also the DEP/DEEP fisheries staff. The DEP is always trying to throw extra charges out there to justify their own jobs when the state has to cut the budget. Dont let any of their fake statistics fool you, there is an agenda at the end and they have been doing this since proposing the CT saltwater license back around 05' (before federal license).

People just dont fish or start fishing when they have to do pay these fees to get out. I cant tell people how many times ive had to pay for licenses for people just to try to get them out and sadly enough, most people just wont go. Its mind boggling to think of what the long term effect of people not fishing will do to the economy. I already go fishing in the same places I did as a kid and its just a fraction of the number of people who are out compared to 30 years ago.

The over inflated size of the state staff is just too much. These are well paid state employees with huge amounts of benefits. Look them up on ctsunglight.org, i can provide names if need be, many make over 80-120k for doing nothing that directly helps fisherman or the sport. We cant fund jobs programs like DEP fisheries as fisherman, all they really need to do is stock trout and there is more than enough money for this. Its more important that people can afford licenses and get out and start to fish
#1721158 - 07/26/17 01:22 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Falcon Offline

Loc: plymouth, ct
I went to this website https://eregulations.ct.gov/eRegsPortal/ and you can comment on this new stamp. You have to go into the open comment section. It's a little tricky but you'll get there. Everyone is either flat out opposed or delusional as they don't mind a stamp if the money will go back into the trout program which I don't believe for a minute. Our fees are grabbed and used by whoever is in power and our new fees just make up for the stealing.
#1721166 - 07/26/17 02:36 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Steely Dan Offline

I’m going to go to the meeting in Hartford and write a written response. First it’s not enforceable. Do they mean you need a trout stamp just to fish in waters that have trout stocked just in case you hook one. Or do you need one only if you plan to keep one. Otherwise you could say you were catch and releasing all trout and salmon while you were trolling for pickerel, perch or walleye, etc.

What about the catch and release sections of the Farmington, etc.? There are other fish in there too. I’ve caught some nice smallmouth in there. Would you need a stamp there – you can’t keep any anyway.

Let us not forget that the state record Brown was caught by a guy fishing for bass at East Twin. What if a bass tournament guy catches a trout – and even if he doesn’t keep it – does he need the stamp?
#1721275 - 07/27/17 12:28 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Buck Offline

Steely, those are all good points to ask at the meeting.
Candlewood Lake is a classic example, 10,000 trout stocked a year with 175 scheduled bass tournaments. So do the bass guys need a trout stamp? Then there are the small class 1 wild trout streams where fishing is almost all trout related, so does anyone who fishes these need a trout stamp? Where do you draw the line between waters that are "must have trout stamp" to waters that are "must have trout stamp to keep a trout in possession"?
#1721279 - 07/27/17 12:59 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Buck]
DeadBird Offline

Loc: Old Saybrook
Here's the regulation:
Quote:
(NEW) Sec. 26-48a-4. Trout and salmon stamps.
(a) Trout stamp
(1) No person required to obtain a license to sport fish under the provisions of section 26-27 of the
Connecticut General Statutes shall fish in any Trout Management Area, as provided in section 26-
112-46(c) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, any Wild Trout Management Area, as
provided in section 26-112-46(g) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, or any Trout
Park, as provided in section 26-112-46(i) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, without
first obtaining a trout stamp.
(2) Except as provided in subdivision (3) of this subsection, no person required to obtain a license
to sport fish under the provisions of sections 26-27 or 26-28b of the Connecticut General Statutes,
shall possess on the waters of the inland district or the marine district, or on the shores of such waters,
trout or kokanee without first obtaining a trout stamp.
(3) No trout stamp shall be required for any person possessing trout in the waters or on the shores
of any stream or pond the waters of which have been stocked with trout at no expense to the state.
(b) Salmon stamp.
(1) During the period from September first through March thirty first, inclusive, no person
required to obtain a license to sport fish under the provisions of section 26-27 of the Connecticut
General Statutes shall fish in any Atlantic Salmon Broodstock Area, as provided in section 26-112-
46(h) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, without first obtaining a salmon stamp.
(2) No person required to obtain a license to sport fish under the provisions of sections 26-27 or
26-28b of the Connecticut General Statutes, shall possess on the waters of the inland district or the
marine district, or on the shores of such waters, Atlantic salmon without first obtaining a salmon
stamp.
(c) Fees. Trout stamps and salmon stamps shall be issued for a calendar year, and shall expire
December thirty-first next following the date of issue and shall not be transferable. The fees for trout
and salmon stamps, or the combination thereof shall be as follows; (1) trout stamp, five dollars; (2)
salmon stamp, ten dollars; (3) combination trout and salmon stamp, twelve dollars.

Followed by this gem:

Quote:
June fifteenth through September fifteenth, inclusive.
(l) Trophy Carp Waters. The maximum length for common carp shall be twenty-six inches and
the daily creel limit for common carp shall be one in: Batterson Park Pond (Farmington, New
Britain), the Connecticut River, its coves, and those portions of its tributaries open to fishing
throughout the year, as provided in section 26-112-44(a)(1) of the Regulations of Connecticut State
Agencies, Squantz Pond (New Fairfield), and West Thompson Reservoir (Thompson). The
commissioner may grant an exemption from maximum length and daily creel limit requirements of
this subsection to any person issued a permit under section 26-112-42 to conduct a fishing
tournament or derby in any Trophy Carp Water provided that all fish caught shall be released, without
avoidable injury, to the waters where taken.

Next up, a carp stamp. wtf Obviously no more bowhunting craps smile in the CT River in summer.

Edited by DeadBird (07/27/17 01:00 PM)
#1721310 - 07/27/17 06:52 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
A stamp for less trout brilliant!

New House 5/18
#1721352 - 07/28/17 09:11 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Falcon Offline

Loc: plymouth, ct
Well I hope when all this gets started that the CO's don't start looking for the Salmon stamp when you're fishing for Kokanee or posses them. From how I read it above the trout stamp covers the trout and kokanee while the salmon stamp will cover the brood stock Atlantics. Not too confusing is it? All bullchit. I thought the Atlantics were spend breeders that weren't producing anymore and rather than throwing them in the garbage they stocked them. Now we are to pay for something that would of gotten thrown out. Am I wrong on this? If so can some one explain the brood stock better because that's the way I always thought it worked.
#1721361 - 07/28/17 11:30 AM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
Bill, kokanee falls under the trout stamp. he salmon stamp is for atlantic salmon. The confusing part for me is rivers and streams are called Trout Management Areas and Wild trout Management Areas but lakes and ponds are called Trout Management Lakes. No mention of a stamp for the Trout Management Lakes. But the kicker is that you need a stamp to posess trout or kokanee.

Edited by trout tracker (07/28/17 11:44 AM)
#1721387 - 07/28/17 04:31 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
RIPIN LIPZ Offline

Good comments - please, please please take the time to comment where the rubber hits the road - on the state eRegulations System. This is the link for public comment: https://eregulations.ct.gov/eRegsPortal/Search/RMRView/PR2017-010 - then you click on Comment Now. If you haven't already, you will need to register, but it's a 30 second deal.

My two cents - if you complain here but don't complain on the regulation website, you're a whiner not a doer. Do something about it and comment - hopefully opposed to the trout and salmon stamp.

I did

It's getting late, I'm tired... SHUT UP AND FISH!
#1721396 - 07/28/17 06:26 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Steely Dan Offline

Before I write my written response I did some research into what Rhode Island does. Heaven forbid if we implement this we don't follow an existing model.

BTW theirs is $5.50. Their regs are below which answers some questions. So it’s clear you would have to have a trout stamp to fish the catch and release part of the Farmington, etc. It’s only if you plan on keeping any in other waters. It' still going to be really hard to enforce. I can't see CT going back to having to display something - but otherwise how do you know. Look at our pheasant tags - now that they don't give you tags that's really a pheasant stamp. You wouldn't need one for Colebrook or Congamond under these rules.

RI Trout Conservation Stamp
1. A Trout Conservation Stamp is required of any person wishing to keep or possess a trout, salmon, or charr caught in Rhode Island waters or to fish in a “catch & release” or in a “fly fishing only” area.
2. A Trout Conservation Stamp can be obtained from any city or town clerk’s office or from authorized agents such as bait and tackle shops and some retail department stores.
3. The Trout Conservation Stamp must be worn so that it is visible and must be shown upon request.
4. The Trout Conservation Stamp expires on the last day of February annually.
5. A Trout Conservation Stamp is NOT required of the following:
1. Minors younger than fifteen (15) years of age.
2. Any resident over 65 years of age.
3. Any person with a 100% disability.
4. Landowners or members of their families when fishing from property on which they are actually domiciled.
5. Any person possessing trout taken from a lake or pond which shares a border with a neighboring state.
6. Any person possessing privately-owned trout caught in privately-owned ponds.
#1721595 - 07/31/17 02:11 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
And Here I thought that the FLorida Regs are nuts. thank god I gave up this type of fishing lol
#1721597 - 07/31/17 02:30 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Don P Offline

Pretty soon CT DEEP will be having us buy stamps to catch Searobins & Sandsharks!
#1721600 - 07/31/17 02:39 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Don P]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
Originally Posted By: Don P
Pretty soon CT DEEP will be having us buy stamps to catch Searobins & Sandsharks!

Pretty much about it left to catch LOL
#1722646 - 08/09/17 04:32 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Mitch P.]
Bob Bradley Offline

I'd rather have a trout stamp than a stout tramp.

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
#1722738 - 08/10/17 02:56 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: Bob Bradley]
swwind Offline

Originally Posted By: Bob Bradley

I've HAD a frail tramp and it wasn't half bad. Don't know how a stout one would be, but tramps are never that bad.

Just sayin . . . .

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1722743 - 08/10/17 04:37 PM Re: Notice of Intent to amend Inland Sport Fishing Regulations and establish trout & salmon stamps, and hold Public Hearing [Re: swwind]
Bob Bradley Offline

Originally Posted By: swwind
Originally Posted By: Bob Bradley

I've HAD a frail tramp and it wasn't half bad. Don't know how a stout one would be, but tramps are never that bad.

Just sayin . . . .

I don't think she's that frail.

Just sayin . . . . . .

I've got gas and I've got crabs. You wanna go out?

"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.� - Ronald Reagan

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics