ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1723657 - 08/19/17 01:37 PM Fishing action
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
I had a 2 man inshore trip for Super Strike Charters. All the guy wanted was to get his special client on some fish. Our first stop produced a good slot fish to get us going on the first cast.

That first fish on the first cast is more than once a sign for a very long day. This was to be the way our day went. Although we did catch a lot of fish we had to pick our way through a lot of shorts. The only redfish we had over was this 29 incher that gave him a very good battle.

We got the limit and also a trout by accident that was hiding in the canes.

I had a trip for tuna and then snapper. By the time we got bait and made it to the tuna grounds the bite had slowed or the fish got spooked with all the boats there so we did not waste too much time there. We settled in for some bottom dunking. We were in for some good rod bending action. It was hard to throw these nice amberjack back.

We had more than enough action to give everybody some sore arms and even a back in one case. This gave me a chance to get into the action. I got lucky and landed this beauty.

My friend Smitty came in for the Empire rodeo again this year. I fished 2 days with him and we did not do well. on the third day he landed a 28 pound redfish but it was not enough for a place this year. Next year we have to do some pre planning. One day we didn't do what planned and settled for a few last minute reds for dinner.

I invited Richard Young from Venice Sportsman's Lodge to go scouting with me. This was not looking to fill the box but just to see what is happening with the river dropping. I went north east first. It looked like the bulls were around. He got to have a fight with a Jack.

We left that area and went a bit more north. The conditions looked good and there were a few reds and even a trout. I went way south and everything went south also. Every thing I was hoping for has not happened yet. The fish are all holding just outside waiting for the river to green up and they will move in.

I did a 3 man trip for chandler I went looking for bulls and as I was heading there the talk on the radio was not sounding good. Jacks and sharks was the talk. These guys decided they wanted to just grind out some slots. On the first cast the drag starts singing. I go for the net and then the thought of a slow day starting is in my mind.

Any way we are on board with our first in the box. I hit that place hard as I watched the water change as well as the fish all the way down to the catfish and sting rays. With 4 in the box and a nice flounder it was time to start working the banks and points looking for some more box fillers. There were a lot of shorts to keep the action going. It was a very slow pick with an occasional slot red finding it's way into the ice. At one place, way up in the canes came a beautiful surprise. A few casts later we found one of it's friends.

We picked away until this area was done and it was even hard to get a bug bite. They had a great day and called it. for my first time fishing for Chandler I hope they can get some of the pleasure they showed back to him. We ended up with 12 reds in the box and 3 beautiful flounder.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1723685 - 08/19/17 11:24 PM Re: Fishing action [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
ChunkDunker Offline

Loc: Western LIS
NICE Hoop!!! Always on the bite! Great array of fish.

Helluva of Jack there

CD
#1723690 - 08/20/17 04:41 AM Re: Fishing action [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
knowfish Offline

Loc: Meriden
A great report and catch as usual. The variety of fish species in your area is amazing.
#1723691 - 08/20/17 06:57 AM Re: Fishing action [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
I used to love your reports, now they just remind me I'm not there! frown2 biggrin Great variety in that fishery for sure.

Great trips as always Hoop!

How has the heat been down there this summer?
#1723707 - 08/20/17 09:41 AM Re: Fishing action [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
Interesting report.
I have to try it there sometime.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
#1723741 - 08/21/17 12:17 AM Re: Fishing action [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

This is only scratching the surface of fish available here. The reason I moved and will not go back.

Don P
It is scorching hot and the only place bearable outside is on the water. Did I mention we have had a lot of storms?

I was told this storm had 3 water spouts. I only saw this one and hit the throttles. The cloud was so black I could hear the thunder but never saw any lightning. It was still forming above me. 45 mph and never looked back.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1723742 - 08/21/17 12:20 AM Re: Fishing action [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

In the left center is a white streak just above the white cloud and blue sky hole in the clouds. That white curved streak is the water spout forming. Interesting to watch as atmospheric conditions changed and winds increased. did not take me long to get into "MF RUN!" mode.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1723761 - 08/21/17 12:22 PM Re: Fishing action [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Yea....that will cool you down (if it doesn't kill you smile1 )

Active Topics