ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1731404 - 12/03/17 09:42 AM Lou and Cooper
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
Lou called me up and asked if I took kids fishing. He has an 8 year old son, Cooper, that requested he has a day fishing with his dad before Lou gets deployed again. He has already done 2 deployments in Afghanistan and is scheduled to be deployed again to who knows where. This entire trip was for Cooper.

My niece, Trina, had come in for the weekend with her mom, sister Tracy, and Tracy's son and husband to visit for the day. When Trina heard I was fishing the next day she wanted to go with us. Lou and Cooper said it would be ok.

We met about 6:15 and launched at Joshua's Marina. I had gotten some good trout lately near by so I headed straight for that area. The water was very low and falling with little tidal range. A new moon is not good for fishing and shallow dirty is also a downer. Although very slow we did manage a few trout to get warmed up. Not a one was worthy of a cool ice bath.

Cooper said very little and concentrated on his fishing. The smile on his face told us he was having doing just what he wanted to do with his dad. They bonded together all day as a father and son should.

Our quest for keeper fish was not going well. The rat reds were around but the tide was slowly dying and the bite was following suit. To say the morning was slow was an understatement.

Cooper said very little and concentrated on his fishing. The smile on his face told us he was having doing just what he wanted to do with his dad. They bonded together all day as a father and son should.

All morning long cooper had my assistance casting or dad would help him out if I was doing something else. At one point Cooper had a good battle with a 5 t0 6 pound sheepshead, It was going crazy and I was worried the fish might spike him so we did not get a picture of him holding it.

Cooper said very little and concentrated on his fishing. The smile on his face told us he was having doing just what he wanted to do with his dad. They bonded together all day as a father and son should. With the entire morning going slow dad asked Cooper if he wanted to go in and have lunch. This boy wanted to fish. We had a snack at the spot where we were and headed off to another location. This move paid off and we finally put a nice redfish in the boat to go with the sheepshead we had iced.

From there I attempted to get into a pipeline canal that gave me access to some back water marsh. I hit a silted in bar out front and had to plow mud in order to get access. Once inside we had about 2 to 3 feet of water. This place can hold fish at low tide. Once into the four way intersection Lou casts to a point on the right. As soon as the bait hit it was engulfed by a very good redfish. He puts cooper on the rod and we all enjoy the sight of this young man doing battle with this beauty in very shallow water. We were lucky because this fish attempted to get out of the area through the shallows we had just came through. This left everything in front of us basically in disturbed and did not run off other fish holding in there. Trina even videoed some of the fight. This few minutes of battle was the highlight of the day.

While I was taking this picture Trina made a cast into the cut on the left and found where the other reds were holding. Although they were all 13 to 15 inches this gave us some good action and some catching. Once an airboat passed the bite ended so Lou decided it was time to head in so they could get back to Mississippi at a reasonable time. We brought the fish back to my place and cleaned them.

I asked Cooper if this was what he wanted. The look in his eyes and his smile answered that before he even said yes. Cooper wants to come back with his dad when dad gets back from overseas. I wish him as well as all our servicemen and women a safe journey.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1731415 - 12/03/17 02:12 PM Re: Lou and Cooper [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Conrad G. Offline

Loc: SOUTHINGTON
Hot digety dog Larry, gotta love Trina biggrin

When I come home stinking like fish, I know I`ve had a good day....

Active Topics