ctfisherman.com logo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1731482 - 12/04/17 01:17 PM 2018 Trout Stamp Info
Steely Dan Offline

Some of you may know that the DEEP had instituted a Trout Stamp for 2018. Currently if you go to the online licensing system there is no provision to buy a 2018 trout stamp with your 2018 fishing/hunting license. My wife is a town clerk and received the following email today. I had her ask two questions. I'm also disappointed that CT did not followed RI lead who has had trout stamps for years - making it not required for fishermen under 15 or over 65. Just not right.

Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 12:25 PM

Subject: RE: Resources to help with customer questions about the proposed Trout Stamp

Very good questions and we will add them to our FAQ sheet.

1. On free fishing day (May 12, 2018) no trout stamp is needed as no license is needed.
2. On the 2 Free Fishing License days a trout stamp will be needed (as a license is needed, even though it is free) if the person is fishing in one of the 4 types of areas or would like to keep trout.
3. I will have to get back in touch with you on the border lake question.

Mike Beauchene
Supervising Fisheries Biologist

CT Aquatic Resources Education (CARE) & Fisheries Program Support
Fisheries Division
Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127 .
P: 860.424.4185F: 860.424.4070 E: mike.beauchene@ct.gov

www.ct.gov/deep

Conserving, improving and protecting our natural resources and environment;
Ensuring a clean, affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy supply.

Thank you so much for the information Mike. I have had a couple questions that have not been answered yet – or at least they are not on the FAQ sheet – and was wondering if you could answer them for me.
1. What about Free Fishing Days? Will a trout stamp be required?
2. What about the lakes that border other states? Colebrook, Congamond & Beach Pond are three examples. Currently, the state of Rhode Island (Beach Pond) does not require a trout stamp for that pond. Will Connecticut be the same?
Looking forward to the answers at your convenience. Thanks again.

Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 11:58 AM
To: Beauchene, Mike <Mike.Beauchene@ct.gov>
Subject: Resources to help with customer questions about the proposed Trout Stamp

Greetings- We have just put up a FAQ document and a brochure on the Fisheries web page (under FAQ link) to assist the public with understanding the proposed trout stamp for 2018 (text included below). Please feel free to share these links as you field inquiries from people as they begin to purchase their licenses for 2018.

Trout Stamp FAQ’s and Trout Stamp Brochure

Does Connecticut have a Trout Stamp?
DEEP has recently proposed a number of changes to fishing regulations. One of these changes includes the establishment of a trout stamp. Upon review and approval of the Legislative Regulation Review Committee, the effective date of for the establishment of a trout stamp is expected to be January 2018. Please see the Trout Stamp FAQ’s and Trout Stamp Brochure for additional information.

A few very common points that have floated to the surface.

When does it take effect? The stamp does not go into effect until the Legislative Regulations Review Committee passes with approval (anticipated at their January 2018 meeting)

Does it apply to anglers 65+? Yes.

The stamp is required to fish in 4 types of waters: Trout parks, Trout Management Areas, Wild Trout Management Area, and Broodstock Atlantic Salmon Areas

The stamp is not required outside of these 4 waters, UNLESS, the angler will be keeping (harvesting or taking) trout.

Thank you for your support of CT Fishing

Mike Beauchene
Supervising Fisheries Biologist

CT Aquatic Resources Education (CARE) & Fisheries Program Support
Fisheries Division
Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127 .
P: 860.424.4185&#61564;F: 860.424.4070 &#61564;E: mike.beauchene@ct.gov

www.ct.gov/deep

Conserving, improving and protecting our natural resources and environment;
Ensuring a clean, affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy supply.
Fishing Info
#1731485 - 12/04/17 02:15 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
Steely Dan Offline

FYI - CT is going to require CT license holders to have the trout stamp on those waters

1. What about the lakes that border other states? Colebrook, Congamond & Beach Pond are three examples. Currently, the state of Rhode Island (Beach Pond) does not require a trout stamp for that pond. Will Connecticut be the same?

We can only compel anglers who hold a CT fishing license to abide by the CT Trout Stamp requirement. As such, anglers legally fishing either Congamond or Colebrook (we stock both of these waters with trout) with a Massachusetts fishing license can do so without obtaining a CT trout stamp. The same holds true for Beach Pond (those legally fishing with a RI fishing license cannot be compelled to obtain a CT trout stamp.
#1731501 - 12/04/17 04:49 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
The stocked lakes are refered to as "trout management lakes" not "trout management areas" so I would not think that you would need a trout stamp on the stocked lakes and ponds. Rivers and streams are refered to as "trout management areas" and would need a stamp for these areas. So if I just fish lakes and ponds I interpret this as not needing a stamp.???? Very confusing!! So we are hit with another "tax" because I want to keep a trout. And yet the state cuts back on the stocking.

Edited by trout tracker (12/04/17 04:53 PM)
#1731579 - 12/05/17 04:33 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
f250 Offline

How much are they going to cost?
#1731894 - 12/09/17 08:42 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: f250]
Jarhead Offline

Loc: Southwestern CT
Originally Posted By: f250
How much are they going to cost?

Exactly

Lee

Time and Tide Wait for No Man

#sunriseyakkin
#teamchuggalugg
#1731900 - 12/10/17 02:12 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
$5
#1731909 - 12/10/17 09:17 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
Jeremiah G Offline

Adventure Kayak Fishing Dude

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Brings the term $5 footlong a whole other meaning.

WWJD ?

#1731916 - 12/10/17 12:28 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Jeremiah G]
JLMOS Offline

Loc: Meriden,CT.
Originally Posted By: Jeremiah G
Brings the term $5 footlong a whole other meaning.

Also doesn't come with your choice of fresh toppings. biggrin

I should've been here yesterday?
I was...
And I didn't catch anything then either!!!

"Cheese has no business being on a turkey sandwich."~ Silas Robertson

"This here not keeping score crap; Ends today! " ~ Frank Barone

"I want to go back
And do it all over
But I can't go back I know" ~ Eddie Money
#1731990 - 12/11/17 01:02 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
orviskid Offline

I noticed you stocked 37,000 trout in the trout parks this year. Is that really necessary?? there's no way all those trout get caught, they'll die in the summer months easily. 1/10th of that amount would suffice. highland and westhill got no where near that amount of fish. I know the kids want to fish, but you say it takes great money and resources to raise the fish. seems like a huge waste to me. toss more in the lakes and streams, there's still plenty of access for fishing even if you don't have a boat.
#1732024 - 12/11/17 10:46 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
duckhuntingfreak Offline

Loc: middletown
Bend over!! Squirel stamps are next!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics