ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1732735 - 12/22/17 12:46 AM Christmas with Eddie
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Loc: Empire / Venice, La
This is the first year since I moved from Connecticut to Louisiana that my wife and I will not be spending Christmas together with his wife and his mother. It is because of unforeseen circumstances that we decided to spend a day on the water fun fishing. We had wanted to get a few trout but what you want and what you get can be two different things. In reality all we wanted was to find a few fish and spend some time together on the water.. I has been a long time coming.

We met at the dock on a very foggy morning. We watched a few duck hunters and inshore boats leaving without radar. Never a good thing. No fish or duck is worth what could happen running like that. A few of us spent almost an hour there just waiting for something to break. Eventually we eased our way out. With the fog still dangerously thick in the river I chose to run down Grand Pass. I hit a few places in the pass and found a rat on the first place.

I had wanted to go to Blind Bay but there was no way I was going to run the river under the conditions that day. We just had to do with the cards we were dealt. Our day was starting as a hunt. Another factor of the day was we had a few feet less water than normal. Some of the drains I wanted to fish were just a streak of mud between some grass. Eddie picked a small large mouth bass that we released.

Once I entered Dixon Bay I found out how much water was out. I veered to the left a bit and started kicking up mud. With no structure to follow I had to look at the electronics to see where I went wrong. This had to be done quickly without stopping the boat or I could sit down on a flat and be stuck there. I still had the option of the jack plate and trim which I used to assist me out of the potential mess. Out in the bay the fog had eased up a bit. I tried to go to one place I usually find fish. The low water would not allow me to go there so I made a big loop while Eddie watched the bottom go by. I had never seen that much water out of the area.

We settled for the first spillway. Our day was not going well at all. There were a few rats in the spillway but the water was not right. I went out in the river and started hitting the rocks. There were some fish there and I was able to put the first keeper in the box.

We still were not getting anything impressive. As much as I wanted for us to have a great day the fish were not jumping in the boat. I was thinking of going south east from there. Then I decided not to run further away. I still had some places near by without running all over. The tide still had not bottomed out. Although little to no water movement it would still be an hour before it would attempt to come in.

I had a good place near by that is fairly good if water is moving. At least this place has fairly deep water. Once there I only had 2.5 feet. So little water around today. I eased into an spot and set up camp. The rats soon found where we were. We finally had a bit of action and it was Eddie's turn to get the hot hand hooking a few keepers.

He did allow me to get the last keeper in the box. It was still a bit early so we did a little catch and release.

I checked out a few other places but we had just left the hottest place around. In one of these places Eddie picks up a good size largemouth so it went in the box with the limit of reds we already had. Unfortunately that was to be the only keeper bass we would get.

At the marina it was time for some lunch. We laid out our fish, took a picture, and let the marina clean our fish while we ate. This was our Christmas get together for the year. Thanks for the day Eddie. Merry Christmas to you and your family Buddy.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
Fishing Info
#1732738 - 12/22/17 05:44 AM Re: Christmas with Eddie [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Four Ten Offline

Merry Christmas.... thanks you for the reports helps the winter go by

.....Possessing more tackle than talent !!!
#1732755 - 12/22/17 09:03 AM Re: Christmas with Eddie [Re: Four Ten]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Going to be a bit slower this winter but will try to get as many as possible. Too much happening here.

Y'all have a Very Merry Christmas.

Life is Good!

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459
#1732802 - 12/23/17 08:10 AM Re: Christmas with Eddie [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
Don P Offline

Loc: CLINTON, CT
Nice job getting into fish in those low water condition Hoop! Looks like you too had a well deserved and needed day on the water!

My Silver Sea Trout dinner a couple nights ago was GREAT! THANKS again Southern Santa!

#1732826 - 12/23/17 09:26 PM Re: Christmas with Eddie [Re: CAPT. HOOP]
CAPT. HOOP Offline

Almost time to come get more Don. You must be running low.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Our Freedom Charters
P.O.Box 449
Empire, La. 70050
H- 504-657-6330
C- 504-247-8459

Active Topics