Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1733035 - 12/28/17 06:49 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
The wonderful state of Connecticut!!!!!

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
Fishing Info
#1733060 - 12/29/17 10:47 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
bk Offline

Loc: Newtown
Do I need one if I am undocumented?
#1733061 - 12/29/17 10:55 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
FarmerJay Offline

Chum Bucket Jedi

Loc: Wallingford CT
My only point to it is, we are opening up to being charged more and receiving less again. I'm not against it, but as sportsmen, I think we should have been smarter than just laying down and allowing this to happen with no plan that the Representatives in Hartford can go back on. I know the trout program has been greatly undermined by budget cuts, but our budget cuts are long from over. This State's long term fiscal prognosis is poor at best.

On to my point. We all pay for the trout program now, and the hatcheries have been under fire every year. When the stamp comes out, will all of that money be guaranteed to be spent on the hatcheries and trout stocking programs? Very unlikely, but if this becomes a cash cow, is there anything that mandates increased stocking and prevents DEEP from hiring people under the trout program, to use in other places?

Second, all of us pay for the trout we currently stock when we purchase our license. I wouldn't expect a dollar for dollar offset, but what is in it for us? Will license prices be slightly reduced for those that don't buy a trout stamp? Better yet, and what I would like to see is, are there any plans to offset it by increasing something like the walleye stocking program? I have no problem paying a few bucks more as a sportsman, but show me what you plan to do to make Connecticut more enjoyable for fishermen. More importantly, show me where it's cast in stone that those thieves in Hartford can't undermine us during future budget negotiations.

Lastly, I think this is the beginning of the end of the trout program in CT. The average trout fisherman that buys a stamp will go out and catch a couple limits early in the season when the fish population is high, and this will equate to far more than his/her $5 stamp.That is currently offset because every license holder pays into the trout porogram. Once we give non-trout fishermen an option to essentially "unfund" the trout program, I'm concerned there won't be enough $5 stamps sold to offset the change.

License sales have been dropping at a steady rate here in CT. I think part of that is because many people want to go fishing, and catch something they can take home and eat. (Imagine hunters spending hours in the woods, only to take home a "picture" of their game) If we remove trout from the list, and do nothing about increasing the walleye population, I worry much of CT will be full of panfish and overpopulated dink bass. That will only further hurt license sales, and reduce much needed revenue.

OK, rant over...... I know it won't help, but I had to get it out!

Edited by FarmerJay (12/29/17 11:27 AM)

It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles, that you realize that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence ...

Team "Just one more drift"

Team I'm not messin with JuJu ever again!!!!!!!

Re: Chum Bucket......There's too much gross #*&! in those picture threads; I can't look at them. Doing so scars my soul.
#1737140 - 02/27/18 03:25 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
MikeDero Offline

Good things come to those who bait

Loc: Plainville CT
It passed with other changes as well
#1737168 - 02/27/18 08:47 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
trout tracker Offline

Loc: Terryville
#1737184 - 02/28/18 07:43 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
MikeDero Offline

They not getting that fee from me, I have zero interest in trout fishery
#1737196 - 02/28/18 09:00 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
f250 Offline

If they consider West Hill, Highland and Twin trout management lakes, guess I’ll be getting that stamp since I fish those a three places for trout even though I’ll seldom keep the trout.
#1737199 - 02/28/18 09:17 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
Falcon Offline

Loc: plymouth, ct
I'll pay, under protest mind you.
#1737201 - 02/28/18 09:30 AM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
cat_in_the_hat Online   fishing

Loc: Tolland CT
http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322702

"Does Connecticut have a Trout Stamp?
Yes. The Legislature’s Regulation Review Committee (LRRC) approved DEEP's proposed trout stamp proposal on February 27, 2018. The new regulations will become effective once they are published on the eRegulations system by the Secretary of State’s office. Please see the Trout Stamp FAQ’s and Trout Stamp Brochure for additional information."

Just renewed online my CT free old fart freshwater/marine fishing license, no option for trout stamp, sounds like that will be a town hall purchase. Oh, I absolutely believe all the funds will go to trout fisheries as stated in the DEEP brochure (like the current fishing license......oops, like the tobacco company liability protection money paid to states will go to smoking cessation and remediation....oops...)
#1737223 - 02/28/18 12:25 PM Re: 2018 Trout Stamp Info [Re: Steely Dan]
MikeDero Offline

Trout Stamp Summary: Thank you for all of the comments and questions to yesterday's post about our 2018 Inland Fishing Regulation updates. I hope I answered your question (there were lots). Here is a brief summary of the most often asked questions. We have an FAQ and brochure on our web page with lots of detail (A few highlights below).

1. Applies to everyone age 16 and up including age 65+

2. 100% of the funds come to Fish and Wildlife - not the general fund - see CTGS 26-15, 26-15a and 26-15b
3. It is an optional product (meaning not everyone will need to get it).

4. There is no physical stamp. It will be an add on to your license.

5. If you already bought a license you MAY need to add it.

6. It should be available via our license system in about 2 weeks

It is needed for either of these situations:

1. To FISH in a Trout Management Area, Wild Trout Management Area, Trout Park, or Broodstock Atlantic Salmon Area.

OR

2. If you wish to KEEP any trout or salmon from anywhere (except for places stocked at no expense to the state, like a fish and game club pond).

Trout management lakes and trophy trout areas are not included in the list of places where it is required. So, in Candlewood Lake (and others) you do not need a trout stamp to FISH, only to KEEP trout.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics