ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1732301 - 12/16/17 10:06 AM Crossbow question
LEAD PIPE Offline

I was looking to pickup a crossbow for my son to hunt with next year. It would be a Christmas present. I am looking at this bow https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/bear-...afsxcrssbwrtabw
Under the reviews one of the posters said it was illegal in NY and CT but I can’t figure out why. I’m looking to see if that is actually the case or was the poster misinformed.
Thanks in advance.

All fished released, even blackfish
Fishing Info
#1732343 - 12/16/17 06:07 PM Re: Crossbow question [Re: LEAD PIPE]
Wild Thing Offline

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=584954&deepNav_GID=1633#BOWS
Legal Bows and Arrows - For the purposes of hunting deer and turkey, legal bows include long, recurved, or compound bows with a minimum draw weight of 40 pounds and crossbows. Mechanical string release devices are permitted. Projectiles coated with any drug, poison or tranquilizing substance are prohibited.
Crossbows: The use of crossbows for hunting deer, turkey and all other species is permitted. Legal crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds and permanent fixed rifle type stock with a functional mechanical safety device. Adjustable crossbow stocks are permitted, but folding stocks are not. The bolt (arrow) length must be at least 18 inches, excluding the broadhead. Crossbows are considered loaded when fully drawn with a bolt in place. Telescopic sights are permitted.
Arrowheads: Legal arrowheads for hunting deer and turkey must have at least two blades and be at least 7/8 inch wide at its widest point. Arrowheads that are designed to open on impact are legal provided they meet the above requirement.

Not sure what the reviewer is seeing that makes it not compliant for CT. But I am also not ENCON so there might be something that is not printed in the guide book that this crossbow has.
#1732344 - 12/16/17 06:27 PM Re: Crossbow question [Re: LEAD PIPE]
LEAD PIPE Offline

Thanks I saw the regulations that’s what’s confusing to me. I can’t figure out why the posted said it was illegal in CT. I don’t see anything in the description that would prohibit it.

Thanks though

All fished released, even blackfish
#1732591 - 12/20/17 08:24 AM Re: Crossbow question [Re: LEAD PIPE]
Tieg Offline

Loc: SE CT
Originally Posted By: LEAD PIPE
I was looking to pickup a crossbow for my son to hunt with next year. It would be a Christmas present. I am looking at this bow https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/bear-...afsxcrssbwrtabw
Under the reviews one of the posters said it was illegal in NY and CT but I can’t figure out why. I’m looking to see if that is actually the case or was the poster misinformed.
Thanks in advance.

I just read that review. I would politely say the guy is talking out his arse. Only thing you have to look at is draw weight...min is 125 lbs/yours is 130 lbs and the length of the bolts you will be using which really isn’t stated in the product description. Need to be a minimum m 18”. I use diablo luminoks for my Excalibur which are 18” but I’m not sure if they are specific for my brand of xbow or can be used with others. Good luck.

"I think of this war as it really is, not as the people at home imagine, with a hoorah! and a roar. It is very serious, very grim…"
Manfred von Richthofen (aka The Red Baron)
#1732604 - 12/20/17 09:22 AM Re: Crossbow question [Re: LEAD PIPE]
deep callin Offline

I have had someone tell me the crossbow I have is Illegal also. I think its a misunderstanding because of the original wording that used to be in the book. (permanent fixed rifle type stock ) Now the wording has been added to say adjustable stocks are OK as long as its not the folding type. I'm not sure about NY laws though.
I have had 4 different crossbows, the one i'm shooting now is the Centerpoint sniper 370. can't beat the price I got my package for $249. I believe it was the pick of the year last year from field and stream for best value.

CTF Profile

Isaac
Euro Mounts and Skulls
203-623-0627
#1732616 - 12/20/17 09:56 AM Re: Crossbow question [Re: LEAD PIPE]
Tieg Offline

Loc: SE CT
The reviewer is correct in regard the crossbow is illegal in NY. My dad who is a master hunter ed/archery instructor in NY says the minimum draw weight is 200 lbs. He’s looking up bolt length.

"I think of this war as it really is, not as the people at home imagine, with a hoorah! and a roar. It is very serious, very grim…"
Manfred von Richthofen (aka The Red Baron)
#1733336 - 01/02/18 09:19 AM Re: Crossbow question [Re: LEAD PIPE]
Buck Offline

Tieg, I think the regs say the maximum draw weight is 200lbs. Bolt length is 14 inch minimum.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Moderator:  Editors, EnCon Police, FindBass 

Active Topics