ctfisherman.com logo
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1735889 - 02/10/18 08:56 AM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: Mitch P.]
onthewater102 Offline

Loc: Kent, CT
Have they said how soon the legacy fund takes to get setup?
Fishing Info
#1735891 - 02/10/18 10:06 AM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: onthewater102]
FarmerJay Offline

Chum Bucket Jedi

Loc: Wallingford CT
Originally Posted By: onthewater102

From what I understand, all of the contributions made with her name in the notation are being applied to her fund. A fund needs a $10,000 balance to become a perpetual fund. They give the administrator two years to raise the $10,000. Once her fund hits the $10,000 balance, then you should see it listed with the other legacy funds. I may have a few details wrong, but that's my understanding.

Edited by FarmerJay (02/10/18 10:10 AM)

It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles, that you realize that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence ...

Team "Just one more drift"

Team I'm not messin with JuJu ever again!!!!!!!

Re: Chum Bucket......There's too much gross #*&! in those picture threads; I can't look at them. Doing so scars my soul.
#1735898 - 02/10/18 11:05 AM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: Bo_Neato]
swwind Offline

Originally Posted By: Bo_Neato
I am issuing an official CTF challenge.

Well Done Bo. beerchug

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1735899 - 02/10/18 11:07 AM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: normal saline]
swwind Offline

Originally Posted By: normal saline
I joined the Guilford Shellfish Commission shortly after Alison died

Well Done

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1736028 - 02/12/18 02:40 PM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

Here is a copy of a press release regarding the scholarship:

Alison Varian Memorial Scholarship Fund established at The Guilford Foundation

The Guilford Foundation is pleased to announce the establishment of the Alison Varian Memorial Scholarship Fund. The Fund will award annual scholarships to graduating seniors of The Sound School in New Haven who intend to pursue careers in aquaculture, fisheries or marine science. The first scholarship award will be presented in June 2018.

The Fund honors the legacy of Alison Varian, who lost a courageous six-year battle with cancer on April 28, 2017. The Fund memorializes Alison’s many contributions to aquaculture, boating safety, fishing, fisheries and the ecology of Long Island Sound. Alison was an avid boater and fisherman who contributed to her community in many ways. Over the years, she diligently served as Chair of the Town of Guilford Shellfish and Harbor Management Commissions, Treasurer of the Guilford Marina Commission, certified U.S. Coast Guard vessel examiner and Commander of the Power Squadron (a non-profit organization dedicated to improving maritime safety and enjoyment through education.)

Beyond these contributions, Alison was a very special and inspiring person. Apart from her many interests, she had a talent for working with people. She knew how to help individuals understand themselves and each other. When differences arose, she found a way to bring people together. She was selfless, brave and always courteous. Even during her long struggle with illness, Alison managed to keep all of her commitments and always with a smile on her face.

“We are honored to hold this special permanent legacy fund,” said Executive Director Liza Janssen Petra. “Through this annual scholarship, Alison will be remembered for her good deeds, especially her time spent managing and protecting the harbors and coastal waterways in Guilford and the Long Island Sound.”

“We are so grateful for the support for our students” said Rebecca Gratz, Principal of The Sound School. “The Sound School is thrilled to be able to honor Alison's legacy in this way.”

Donations to the fund can be sent to The Guilford Foundation at P.O. Box 35, Guilford, CT 06437 or online at www.guilfordfoundation.org. Be sure to note the gift is for the "Alison Varian Memorial Fund" so that your donation is credited properly. For further information, contact Liza Janssen Petra, Executive Director of the Guilford Foundation, at (203) 640-4049.
#1736032 - 02/12/18 03:15 PM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: Mitch P.]
FarmerJay Offline

Chum Bucket Jedi

Loc: Wallingford CT
applause applause applause applause applause

Good job, and thank you to all that have donated so far, as well as all that will choose to donate in the future!!!! Alison would be very proud!

It is only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles, that you realize that there is always a way to solve problems without using violence ...

Team "Just one more drift"

Team I'm not messin with JuJu ever again!!!!!!!

Re: Chum Bucket......There's too much gross #*&! in those picture threads; I can't look at them. Doing so scars my soul.
#1736055 - 02/12/18 10:08 PM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: FarmerJay]
normal saline Offline

Loc: Guilford CT
Originally Posted By: FarmerJay

From what I understand, all of the contributions made with her name in the notation are being applied to her fund. A fund needs a $10,000 balance to become a perpetual fund. They give the administrator two years to raise the $10,000. Once her fund hits the $10,000 balance, then you should see it listed with the other legacy funds. I may have a few details wrong, but that's my understanding.

this is correct- spot on! we (the Commission) are hopeful that we can continue our fundraising efforts in order to help as many students as possible. stay tuned for word on any upcoming events!!

and thanks to everyone for their contribution!!

what da' fish?!?
#1736531 - 02/19/18 11:06 AM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: normal saline]
Bo_Neato Offline
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted By: normal saline
Originally Posted By: FarmerJay

this is correct- spot on! we (the Commission) are hopeful that we can continue our fundraising efforts in order to help as many students as possible. stay tuned for word on any upcoming events!!

and thanks to everyone for their contribution!!

Has any of this hit the New Haven Register yet? An article needs to hit the Shoreline section. Let me know if you would like some help with that.

#1739853 - 04/07/18 06:21 PM Re: Official Riptide scholarship fund details [Re: FarmerJay]
Fisherman038 Offline

Loc: Candlewood lake
Thank you
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics