ctfisherman.com logo
Page 51 of 122 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 121 122 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#992765 - 09/07/08 10:58 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: JohnS]
Trooper_Bri Offline

Loc: Smellington
I listened to the 5 today, and while it's definitely better than St.Elsewhere, Slacktide says it best. It still has that somewhat flat, garage band sound. A 2D version of a 3D band.

Maybe HydraSportBasser sums it up best. New Metallica. Kinda like New Coke back in the day. It's just not the same.

Slow fishing is better than no fishing.
Fishing Info
#993552 - 09/09/08 09:42 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Joe.G]
Mitch P. Offline

I remember the thrill of waiting for And Justice for All to come out in 1988. There was no Internet or satellite radio to get teases of what it would sound like. I sill remember unwrapping the cassette tape, excited about what I would hear. Would it match up to their first three masterpieces -- Kill ‘Em All, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets?

Fast forward 20 years and everything is much different these days. There are many bands who have followed in Metallica’s footsteps that have produced some really great music.

Sadly, the bottom line is that Metallica no longer stands out in the sea of music out there. If they weren’t “Metallica,” I don’t think these songs would even catch our attention and get a second listen. The production is flat and the sound doesn’t even compare to so many bands out there now.

Long gone are the days when a Metallica song was epic masterpiece in listening pleasure. It totally boggles my mind how the guys can listen to what they have recorded and think it matches what other bands are doing.

The last Metallica album (St. Anger) was complete and utter garbage. So, the one positive is that what I’ve heard from Death Magnetic is an improvement. And, they still rock live.

But, I won’t be buying this album and I currently have no plans to see them on tour.

This album should have been titled “Death Metalic”.
#993556 - 09/09/08 09:52 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Mitch P. Offline

If you like Cradle of Filth, you might like Dimmu Borgir.

I don't like the European death metal as much as the American originators, like Obitury.

Probably my favorite European band (besides Priest & Sabbath) is Kreator ...

#993563 - 09/09/08 10:02 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
hsb Offline
Ice is for bourbon

Loc: Ft Mill, SC
Made the mistake of buying St. Crap, cant bring myself to listen to an entire song on it. The new one still sounds alot like Load, wasnt a big fan of that either. Like you Mitch, wont run out to buy this one, thats for sure.

Kevin D. (aka Capt-Livewell)
Life's new motto: In chaos and in chaos

http://mylittlebuddysboat.com/
#994154 - 09/11/08 03:35 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: hsb]
Stormshadow Offline

Loc: Northford
A LOT of people didn't like the black album when it first came out. I think Death Magnetic has a chance at least. At least it is a step in the right direction. I can't say that I DON'T like it.
#994336 - 09/12/08 01:19 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Stormshadow]
mrmooch1 Offline

Loc: Fairfield, CT
The entire album is available for free listening on Metallica's website. I've heard 6 songs so far. I'd say 3 are very good, and 3 are good. Everything I've heard is WAY better than St. Anger...which sucked. I just got tix to see them in NJ the day before the Super Bowl. Great weekend!

Look...the bottom line is that the days of old Metallica is done. The reason they were so great is because they were unique 27 years ago. Now they are like so many other bands out there, but I respect the fact that they continue to try new things. While it doesn't always work, I give them credit for trying. I saw them about a dozen times between 1988 and 1995, but haven't had much desire since then given what they have put out, and the fact that they have had a number of outdoor festival type shows in the area, and I hate those. At this point, I'm 33, have loved them since Puppets in '86, and can't wait to see them again. I wasn't sure about the new stuff and it took a few listens to appreciate it as much as I do right now. In addition, I think the new video (also on the website) it phenomenal. I know that they're new stuff will not be like the old, but I'm okay with that. Lars sounds great, Kirk is soloing again, and while the songs are all about two minutes too long, they are heavy, sound really good, and that is something that I have missed for the past decade. Nice to have the boys back to where I can get excited to see them again. I have no doubt they will rock live! If they come to CT or MSG, I'll be going again. They are one of the best acts ever and this old man is going to act like he's 20 again. HELL YEAH!

PS One really cool thing they are doing this tour is that when you buy a ticket to see them live, they mail you a free copy of the new album and give you a code to get a free download of the show that you go to. What other band does that? Can't say they don't give a crap about their fans.
#994610 - 09/12/08 07:09 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: mrmooch1]
Mitch P. Offline

#994756 - 09/13/08 01:50 AM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
mrmooch1 Offline

Loc: Fairfield, CT
Just downloaded the new album on guitar hero for ps3. nothing like experiencing it while playing it. I Love the 21st century!!! Give this album a chance. It's waayyyyyy better than the crap from the last ten years. It's not as good as anything prior to 1993, but is probably the best album since the black.
#995659 - 09/15/08 05:04 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Mitch P.]
Jeremiah G Offline

Adventure Kayak Fishing Dude

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Yes, Mitch,

You have it right. Metallica has a lot more competition these days. Let's face it, they are old, rich and lack that anger, rage and ambition they used to have. Those attributes along with being sober usually do not equate to good tunes. But, as you said, a lot of bands would not be out there if it was not for Metallica. But, I bet you they could swing some good country tunes nowadays.....

I listened to a few songs on their new album. I don't like them, they are weak, comparitively speaking, though, my grandmother agrees as well. I do still like the Black album, tis good.

Yes, Dimmu Borgir is awesome. Them and Cradle are my favorites, no doubt..Another one to check out is Graveworm..I just wish they would come to the states.

Edited by Jeremiah G (09/16/08 12:33 PM)

WWJD ?

#1008307 - 10/22/08 04:55 PM Re: The Heavy Metal Thread [Re: Jeremiah G]
Mitch P. Offline

The new Guns N' Roses album is set to come out on Nov. 23.

Radio stations started playing it today. I heard the title track earlier today. It sounded a little like Nine Inch Nails meets Guns N' Roses. It was OK. Wonder how the entire album will sound.

KRock will be playing the song at 2pm today:
http://www.923krock.com/

Page 51 of 122 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 121 122 >

Moderator:  Editors, Jimbo, STRIPMINER 

Active Topics