Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1740595 - 04/18/18 07:05 PM Re: Fishing in Guatemala. [Re: Mitch P.]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
Originally Posted By: Mitch P.
Glad you enjoyed Guatemala. Fishing there is world class! beerchug

Mitch, thanks for your input when we were planning this trip.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
Fishing Info
#1740599 - 04/18/18 07:42 PM Re: Fishing in Guatemala. [Re: earl bird]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Great Trip!!

Those mahi are huge! Must of been a blast catching sails and big mahi all jumping...

Originally Posted By: earl bird
My son Steven(from California) and I were in Guatemala from April 10- April 16. After doing some research, we decided to fish with "Big Buoy Fishing" located in San Jose, Guatemala. We stayed at Eric Goetz's 9 bedroom, 11 bath villa. Eric was a most gracious host and his desire to please his guests was quite obvious.
His chef(Michy) and housekeeper(Aleida) followed in Eric's footsteps in cleaning our rooms and keeping us well fed.
We started each day with a full breakfast. Once on the boat(from 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.) we had a mid morning snack (usually fresh fruit),followed by lunch(freshly caught Mahi-Mahi(Dorado),hamburgers, salads, tuna sushi, etc.).
Once returning to the villa after a full day of fishing, we were treated with appetizers(Mahi-Mahi, taco salad, cerviche, or chicken wings) followed, after some cocktails, by dinner. We enjoyed steak, shrimp, Mahi-Mahi, smoked pork roast, etc. for this meal. Every meal was delicious and plentiful.
This was an all inclusive package which included pickup from and return to the airport, daily transportation to and from the marina(5 minutes away),meals, liquid refreshments(24 hour open bar), daily laundry service, and four days of fishing, as well as cleaning and freezing of any fish that you may want to bring home.
We fished for the four days out of Marina Pez Vela. This evidently is the only marina on Guatemala's Pacific coast.
The boat was the Sur Reel which is one of three 31 foot Bertrams owned by Eric. Three days we fished with Captain Kennedy, and one day with Captain Sammy. Our two mates, Locho and Marvin, were the hardest working mates that we have ever seen.

Our four day total was:

Sailfish - 44 released

Mahi-Mahi - 45

Tuna - 2

Averaging 11 Sails and 11 Mahis(up to 60 lbs.) per day made this
an action packed fishing adventure.

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1740610 - 04/19/18 05:00 AM Re: Fishing in Guatemala. [Re: earl bird]
JohnS Offline

Life Time Member

Loc: Wallingford/Florida
Looks like you had a GREAT trip! beerchug

New House 5/18
#1740618 - 04/19/18 07:31 AM Re: GREAT GUATEMALA FISHING. [Re: earl bird]
swwind Offline

kneel

Wow . . . . . Epic trip on so many levels.

Congrats applause .

Originally Posted By: earl bird
My son Steven(from California) and I were in Guatemala from April 10- April 16. After doing some research, we decided to fish with "Big Buoy Fishing" located in San Jose, Guatemala. We stayed at Eric Goetz's 9 bedroom, 11 bath villa. Eric was a most gracious host and his desire to please his guests was quite obvious.
His chef(Michy) and housekeeper(Aleida) followed in Eric's footsteps in cleaning our rooms and keeping us well fed.
We started each day with a full breakfast. Once on the boat(from 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.) we had a mid morning snack (usually fresh fruit),followed by lunch(freshly caught Mahi-Mahi(Dorado),hamburgers, salads, tuna sushi, etc.).
Once returning to the villa after a full day of fishing, we were treated with appetizers(Mahi-Mahi, taco salad, cerviche, or chicken wings) followed, after some cocktails, by dinner. We enjoyed steak, shrimp, Mahi-Mahi, smoked pork roast, etc. for this meal. Every meal was delicious and plentiful.
This was an all inclusive package which included pickup from and return to the airport, daily transportation to and from the marina(5 minutes away),meals, liquid refreshments(24 hour open bar), daily laundry service, and four days of fishing, as well as cleaning and freezing of any fish that you may want to bring home.
We fished for the four days out of Marina Pez Vela. This evidently is the only marina on Guatemala's Pacific coast.
The boat was the Sur Reel which is one of three 31 foot Bertrams owned by Eric. Three days we fished with Captain Kennedy, and one day with Captain Sammy. Our two mates, Locho and Marvin, were the hardest working mates that we have ever seen.

Our four day total was:

Sailfish - 44 released

Mahi-Mahi - 45

Tuna - 2

Averaging 11 Sails and 11 Mahis(up to 60 lbs.) per day made this
an action packed fishing adventure.

kneel kneel

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1740620 - 04/19/18 07:33 AM Re: GREAT GUATEMALA FISHING. [Re: earl bird]
swwind Offline

Mitch . . . . . . there are at least 4 HOMEPAGE candidates here !

""Happy Talk" . . . . . Because it has worked so well thus far"

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory" - Edward Deming

"Unless we start to focus everything on this, our targets will soon be out of reach" - Greta Thunberg January 2020

"I spent most of my dough on booze, broads and boats and the rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard.

Team Man Made Climate Change is Real.

"Such change demands on our part a serious and responsible recognition not only of the kind of world we may be leaving to our children, but also to the millions of people living under a system which has overlooked them" - Pope Francis September 2015
#1740628 - 04/19/18 08:42 AM Re: GREAT GUATEMALA FISHING. [Re: swwind]
LegalFish Offline

Loc: Bristol
Great report and pictures! Looks like an awesome trip. Guatemala is next on my list after I cross off Costa Rica next year!

Alfonzo
#1740631 - 04/19/18 09:20 AM Re: GREAT GUATEMALA FISHING. [Re: LegalFish]
earl bird Offline

Loc: Terryville
Originally Posted By: LegalFish
Great report and pictures! Looks like an awesome trip. Guatemala is next on my list after I cross off Costa Rica next year!

Alfonzo

We did Costa Rica a few years ago, but we enjoyed this more.

Fishing: the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.
Henry Beard and Roy McKie
#1740633 - 04/19/18 09:27 AM Re: GREAT GUATEMALA FISHING. [Re: earl bird]
Jamobi Offline

Loc: Stonington, CT
Absolutely fantastic!
#1740643 - 04/19/18 11:41 AM Re: Fishing in Guatemala. [Re: earl bird]
CWood Man Offline

Stop Bitchin' And Get Fishin'!

Loc: Villas NJ
Wow awesome!!! Those are some Bulls, the light color one is real cool!

CHANGE IS SCARY BUT IT IS REWARDING ON THE OTHER SIDE!

SURELY MISS MY CTF FRIENDS BUT ALWAYS WILL BE HERE TO GIVE ALL A HARD TIME!

Team MOY

"How about a Fresca?!"

Don't call me on a Tuesday, I'm on the water!

Chris
#1740644 - 04/19/18 11:47 AM Re: GREAT GUATEMALA FISHING. [Re: earl bird]
striperboy Offline

Loc: Litchfield and Westbrook
Wow that's an awesome trip!! I'd also like to know the ballpark cost if you don't mind sharing

Edited by striperboy (04/19/18 11:48 AM)

We do not inherit the earth from our fathers, we borrow it from the unborn

sit long, talk much, laugh often

He who throws dirt looses ground

Christian Genarelli
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Active Topics