ctfisherman.com logo
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1740204 - 04/13/18 10:33 AM The Aspetuck River Trout Management Area
D&M Offline

This language was taken directly from the official Regulations of Conn. State Agencies (posted online bythe State of CT) in sec. 26-112-46(c)(16):

The Aspetuck River Trout Management Area shall consist of (A) that portion of the Aspetuck River in Easton, Redding and Newtown upstream from the bridge at Valley Road in Easton and (B) those portions of the unnamed inflow and outflow streams to Lyons Swamp in Easton and Redding from North Park Avenue downstream to the confluence with the Aspetuck River. There shall be no closed season for trout and charr in the Aspetuck River Trout Management Area. The daily creel limit for trout and charr is zero and all trout and charr caught shall be immediately returned, without avoidable injury, to the waters from which taken. Possession of trout or charr in the waters or on the shores of the Aspetuck River Trout Management Area is prohibited.

The problem is -- the area defined in (A), above, has signs posted that state no fishing is allowed.

So what's deal -- can I fish there or not (it's important since this is right around the corner from where I live and I would REALLY like to fish there).
Fishing Info
#1740205 - 04/13/18 11:15 AM Re: The Aspetuck River Trout Management Area [Re: D&M]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Good Question! I grew up fishing there!

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."
#1740434 - 04/16/18 06:25 PM Re: The Aspetuck River Trout Management Area [Re: D&M]
D&M Offline

Any input from DEEP??
#1740492 - 04/17/18 04:23 PM Re: The Aspetuck River Trout Management Area [Re: D&M]
Buck Offline

Just a guess but the posted signs may be for private property that may exist between the road and the stream. So the stream and its immediate banks are a trout management area but maybe a lot of land bordering the stream banks is private. Or sometimes people post land that they don't own or have the permission of the owner to post just to keep people out for whatever reason. See if the signs are signed with a name of a person or organization that can be tracked down for verification. If they are not signed they I would simply ignore them and go fishing.
Trout Unlimited has some literature on this stream and where to access for legal fishing.

http://www.nutmegtrout.org/fishing/where-to-go/aspetuck-river/

Here is the DEEP trout stocking map with stocking locations. Do a copy/paste into your address line and hit enter.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/stockingmaps/aspetuck_river,_weston.pdf

Edited by Buck (04/17/18 04:44 PM)
#1740590 - 04/18/18 06:10 PM Re: The Aspetuck River Trout Management Area [Re: D&M]
D&M Offline

Thanks. The link to the map references an area WAY downstream from what I am referring to: "upstream from the bridge at Valley Road in Easton".

The signage is not for private property -- it is posted by the Nature Conservancy and the Aquarion Water Company.
#1740600 - 04/18/18 07:46 PM Re: The Aspetuck River Trout Management Area [Re: D&M]
Crazy Ivan Offline

Loc: New Milford, and Anywhere Salt...
Originally Posted By: D&M
Thanks. The link to the map references an area WAY downstream from what I am referring to: "upstream from the bridge at Valley Road in Easton".

The signage is not for private property -- it is posted by the Nature Conservancy and the Aquarion Water Company.

I have to check it out. Its on my way home sorta from Wilton to New Milford. Nice trip down memory lane Friday after work.

so much has changed. I used to fish below the saugy damm down a mile and all the parking for that stretch is gone. Then some spots down stream have to be private land now. will look friday and post some pics

I'm not fat, I'm fluffy!

Judge Smails:

"Its easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while is the man that can smile with his shorts too tight in the seat."

Moderator:  Bill G, Editors, FindBass 

Active Topics